Lin Dan punched coach Ji Xinpeng

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by rwchen, Apr 9, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is good to read that bad sportsmanship is not tolerated in China

It is good to read that bad sportsmanship is not tolerated in China.

That's what I have called for: 'The Olympic Spirit' or 'The Olympic Principle'.

When we play sports; Winning isn't everything, sportsmanship is.

2. event

event Regular Member

This is true. But a link keeps everyone happy.

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    The above quote high-lighted in red is the most naive quote I have ever heard:rolleyes:... try telling that to any athlete who is competing in a world class tournament or Olympic, and he/she will laugh so hard that tears will come out.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The most naive quote I have ever heard

bananakid... if you think playing sports is like going to a war, then you would be correct.

But, if I think playing sports to challenge others in a celebration, then I would be correct. :):):)

#124 chris-ccc, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  5. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    If you are not a professional player, making a living out of your personal achievement, then yes, you can just play for fun, and fairness/sportsmanship is important.

However, if your income depends on whether you win or lose... then NO... You pretty much have to win, especially an Olympic medal(for a sport like badminton). Sportsmanship will be secondary compare to winning. You can call me a cheater(as long as I am not breaking any rule), but if I win a gold medal and guarantee a good life in the future, I don't care how others view my win, as long as the record book says "I win".

6. Cindyy

Cindyy Regular Member

Oldhand, thanks a lot for you translation!!:p:)

7. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    you have to have integrity in whatever it is you chosen career. be it sportsmen, professionals or labourers. i have seen lots of sportsmen, great ones, legends, who does not think winning is the ultimate thing in life. they have burning passion to be a champion, yes, but they still remain a good person beneath it all. they are human, yes. they make mistakes, yes. fans forgive, yes. but first you have to know that what you did was wrong and apologize. sportsmanship is not only a part of competition but a part of life. :)

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually, i don't understand what the fuss is all about.LD just proved that it's easier to lay hands on his own coach than on his opponent's.He also showed that he is above his coaches except perhaps LYB.
    The only difference lies in CHN media stance.With LD's opponent's coach, CHN media defended LD.With LD's own coach, CHN media went on the offensive against LD.And LD actually took the trouble to apologise to CHN coach.
    LD probably missed out on the opportunity to learn how to deal with his frustrations in a non-violent way. Just accept this as part of his make-up.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sportsmanship is secondary compare to winning ?

I have to disagree here. :p:p:p

So... did you think that when Lin Dan punched Ji Xinpeng (if it actually happened :confused:) is not a bad thing? :D:D:D

Would LD suffer loss of income from losing that match? Wasn't that match just an 'Internal CHN Challenge Match"?

LD should always play his best; his reward (income) will automatically be received. There is no need to lose temper, or to get into a fight, or to worry that he will get lesser income.

In fact, many players have told me this "It is better to lose income than to lose face".

10. davidhliu

davidhliu Regular Member

Public Relations
    The truth is LD did NOT punch coach Ji. The two had an argument but LD NEVER hit Ji. LYB, ZB and the badminton team leader Li Weiguo have all confirmed this. LD is short tempered and he is never shy in admitting this. But this should not give others the reason to blame him for something he never committed. And the author of the first news story failed to confirm whether there is actually a body fight with either LD or Ji, which is not an act of professionalism for a journalist.

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

basically it's the reporter's word against the CHN team's word. i doubt we'll ever find out for sure what actually transpired.

12. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    How sure r u abt it? r u there when the incident happen?

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Li Dan denies punching coach

BEIJING: China’s world number one Lin Dan has defended himself against media reports that he punched his coach at a pre-Olympic training camp.
    “Such kind of things did not happen at all,” Lin Dan, known as “Super Dan”, said in his blog (
    user.qzone.qq.com/95002037
    ) in response to a report from Thursday’s Daily Sunshine that appeared widely in Chinese media.
    The report said journalists witnessed Lin Dan, one of China’s best hopes of winning a gold medal at this year’s Beijing Olympics, attack his coach Ji Xinpeng after a practice match in southern Fujian Province on Tuesday.
    Papers described Lin Dan’s behaviour as “intolerable” and called for him to be dropped from the national team.
    “Today, I found some media reports that I and coach Ji Xinpeng had a clash,” Lin Dan wrote in his blog.
    “I feel confused and annoyed about where these media found such a made-up and untrue story. Please, my fans, do not believe in these reports.

from: thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/4/12/sports/20930729&sec=sports

14. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Agreed!

A fighter will only fight for the money.

15. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    We shall wait one day LD slap/punch LYB for loosing in the tournament, hopefully in the coming OLYMPIC 2008 GAME.

To all badminton players who participate in OG08, set your target to beat down LD when u have the chance to do so simply bcoz we dont want AN UNPROFESSIONAL BADMINTON PLAYER to be the OLYMPIC GOLD, OR SILVER, EVEN BRONZE MEDALIST WINNER.

I am not anti-LD. But i will not respect a player with a bad attitude and behaviour.

16. davidhliu

davidhliu Regular Member

Public Relations
    i was not there but i know all badminton team members personally and they all said the same thing, "LD did NOT punch Ji." And the latest report from a Fujian daily also quoted LD's coach Tang saying "LD never punched Ji."

17. davidhliu

davidhliu Regular Member

Public Relations
    LD knows he cannot please everybody and he respects your opinion. And he welcomes challenges from other players. But you cannot deny he is a strong badminton player which is confirmed by LCW and Taufik.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Is it true that Lin Dan punched coach Ji Xinpeng?

Perhaps this thread's title should be changed to "Is it true that Lin Dan punched coach Ji Xinpeng?". :):):)

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    some mighty high words u got there but u are barking up the wrong tree.

don't be a lazy whimp. Why don't u train hard and beat LD yourself?:rolleyes:

#139 cooler, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  20. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    He is a great player, even better if compared to LCW or Taufik. BUT PROFESIONAL ATTITUDE? SPORTSMANSHIP?