Asia Badminton Championships - Day 3 - 17-April-2008

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2008' started by george@chongwei, Apr 16, 2008.

1. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

OK,...Upsets number still remained 10,...as JYJ and WL will not consider as upsets...:rolleyes:....

2. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes....his last and only SS title was Singapore Open...its was in May 07...but TH also didnt wins any of SS title in past 9 mths...........correct me,...if I m wrong...

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Boonsak Ponsana (WR no 9 and Athens Olympic Games Semi-Finalist) had won the Aviva Open Singapore Super Series 2007, beating Lin Dan (SF over three-sets) and Chen Yu (Final, straight sets). He had also won the Yonex-Sunrise India Open GP Gold 11 days ago. Those 2 titles are certainly big enough for him...

However, he has yet to beat Lee Chong Wei and actually lost to him in the Asian Badminton Championships Final in 2006.

4. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Uncle Loh.......lose the game is not being diplomatic...thats too much....:D:D.....what i means was dont make the opponents too 'pai-seh'...mah...

and i think most of the players ....knows that...to let go some points.....when they were leading or winning with huge margin.......that why this kind of score never happened until today......:D:D

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Uncle Loh, I totally disagree with you!!! By eating the "duck eggs (21-0, 21-0)", the turkish pair could be demoralised and never ever recover their confident. Worst if they totally gave up the sport they both once loved.

Looking at the score, there was NO WAY the Turkish pair would win the match, and therefore, the SG pair was in NO DANGER of losing it.

I hope this "unjudgemntal" score would not irritate the SG pair's next opponent to seeking for "justice". C'on, we are all human, afterall :)

What comes around goes around :rolleyes:

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Surely at 20-0, they can throw one point or two away. Then it would show some sportmanship or friendship - no?:D

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

OK, for the sake of argument, let's say the SIN pair DOES start giving a few points to the TKM girls. During their act of charity, one of the SIN girls sustains an injury and is unable to continue. SIN is forced to default,TKM wins. Tell me now, what would have been the smarter thing to do? :rolleyes::cool:

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Yes, TH might not win any title in SS in the past 9 months as BP. But "on par" I was talking about when putting these two against each other, who had won the most, TH or BP in the past 9 months? (I didn't chose 9 month on purpose to exclude BP's win at Singapore Open 07. It's about how long me being in BC and watching some videos) :rolleyes:

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

The probability of getting injured (pls look at the scoreline) is almost zero because of the HUGE gap of level between these two pairs. The match is more like a one-sided or landslide win for the SG pair. I dont think there were rallies lasted more than 10 strokes (anyone attended pls confirm).

At 20-0, just give few "consolation" points lor... fren fren mah :D

10. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

For the sake of argument, Sin pair would more likely to sustain an injury by trying too hard to "kill" their opponents than taking easy on them since I'd imagine the TKM pair could hardly play at all :D

Your point about injury is a valid one and should be taken into consideration which I haven't thought about it before :rolleyes:

11. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

You have a point there. It's a decision for the players. We can't force them to do things not in the manual. On the other hand, some would prefer to see a more gentle approach for these first timers (country-wise?). I just hope players from less baddy-proficient countries will be (1) back next year and (2) not as observers. It's hard to believe that they managed not to gain even one point for the entire match.

12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I seriously doubt this point is valid at all. If u play at the competitive level (I used to be one) and playing against an opponent (21-0, 21-0) who could barely hit the birdie, your chances of getting injured (results in walkover) is less than 0.0001% :eek:. Of coz, I DID NOT take into consideration if a fan just ran over and stab ur back with a knife :eek::D (kidding only...)

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

As always, a reasonable opinion :)

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sure I will do it even when I'm leading way ahead 15-0, I'lll throw away 5 points. But who am I? Just a social player! Just a friendly gesture! You should be a professional coach and tell your professional players to give away points. :D

Maybe someone should dig up the records to see whether any of the Malaysian players win matches giving away 5 points or less. ;)

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Is it worth taking the chance, even if it's 1%?

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Did you remember the Monica Seles incident during one of her tennis matches? A deranged fan emerged from the crowd and DID stab her... no laughing matter for her :cool:

17. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Uncle Loh, I did... and always do :D Next time if we play against each other, I'll make sure u got more than 5points :eek::p

18. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I know the incident and no knife is allowed in Msia stadiums :D

19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

It's a case by case decision, but it did not occur to me to consider injury issue. In this case, it's unlikely, but we should think about it nevertheless in our calculation, that's what madbad was referring to.

20. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Haiyo, like this also want to argue....

For CAT, If I m leading 20-0, I will give away 1 or 2 pts...nia, ok?

There r 2 scenario here, I think...

1st, the Sin girl wanna give away point, but, the TKM girl, out ball go hit, give smash ball go smash into net....:D

2nd, the Sin girl too young, still donno need to give consolation point....:D