Don't we like the press?

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2008' started by TranslatorGuy, Apr 20, 2008.

1. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    its all perspective....

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Two different journalists with two contrasting viewpoints.

I would think that Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong have done well to reach the Semi-Final. However, Lee Chong Wei's defeat is slightly surprising.

Pleasantly good performances by Wong Choong Hann (in beating Chen Yu so convincingly) and Mohd Hafiz Hashim (shocking result over Bao Chunlai).

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Do journalists read our BC comments?

I wonder if those journalists read our comments@Badminton Central. :confused::confused::confused:

4. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    The Star Online is more encourging while NST's analysis is "sad but true".

5. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Nvr like the indian guy in NST. I think most of us here can write better analysis than him....

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeah, the guy name is K.Bopathy

7. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    my analysis:

Malaysia failed to win any titles at the just concluded Asian Badminton Championship, with both our top tier men and women players bowing out unexpectedly. Our men, Lee Chong Wei, Kien Keat and Boon Heong, and Tan Fook and Wan Wah failed to reach the finals, while Wong Mew Choo bowed out early too.

While some may brand the Asian Badminton Championship as a total disaster of an outing for Malaysia, there were several pleasing performances, especially from our second tier players. Wong Choong Hann and Hafiz Hashim managed to scalp Chen Yu and Bao Chunlai, a welcoming improvement in the depth of our Men's Singles, which before this, was experiencing a crisis. This certainly takes some pressure of Lee Chong Wei to perform, knowing that he has several notable players to back him up. Kien Keat and Boon Heong on the other hand, according to my calculations, which will officially take over as Malaysia's top Men's Doubles pair at the Thomas Cup, put up a commendable fight against Lee and Jung of Korea, but ultimately faltered.

Which brings us to the Thomas Cup, going to be held in Jakarta at the famed Istora Senayan. While some might comment that Malaysia have been left in a worse than ever position after the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC), I would say that Malaysia is now in a stronger position compared to before they participated in the ABC. There are several reasons for this:

- With the stepping up of Choong Hann and Hafiz Hashim, some pressure can be relieved on Lee, who is expected to deliver a point in all Thomas Cup ties. We all know how much pressure can affect a player's ability.

- The 2nd MS and 3rd MS ties can now be regarded as 'hopes' for team Malaysia to clinch a point. Previously, the 2nd and 3rd MS were regarded as 'sure losses'.

- After unconvincing performances of Kien Keat and Boon Heong throughout the past few tournaments, they have now stood up with their brave and spirited performance against Jung and Lee. This certainly puts to rest many fears that Koo and Tan are slipping further and further away as the Thomas Cup approaches.

- Koo and Tan take over as MD1. I believe this is a good thing for team Malaysia. Why? Lets just look at the possible matchups:

against China:
    I believe Koo and Tan stand a better chance against Cai and Fu than Choong and Lee. With Koo and Tan as MD1, Malaysia's chances of sweeping both MD points, a must if Malaysia wants to win, looks brighter than if Malaysia were to field Choong/Lee as MD1.

against Indonesia:
    Koo and Tan fare better against Markis and Kido than Choong and Lee will. Koo and Tan have never been defeated by the pair, while Choong and Lee have consistently lost to them. I believe both Choong and Lee and Koo and Tan will both have equal chance of defeating Candra/Nova or Alvent/Luluk, the possible 2nd Indonesian MD.

full article:

The Badminton Blog - Asian Badminton Championship Post Mortem & Thomas Cup Analysis

8. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Koo/Tan will not overtake Choong/Lee as WR 4th according to my computation:

Choong/Lee
    - 3150 (7000-3850)
    = 62699

Koo/Tan
    - 1050 (5950-4900)
    = 60101

#9 robin7, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  9. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Ignore previous post.

Koo/Tan will not overtake Choong/Lee as WR 4th according to my computation:

Choong/Lee
    - 0 (3850 < 5040)
    = 65849

Koo/Tan
    + 1300 (4900 > 3600)
    = 62451

10. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    did you remember to take into account that Choong/Lee lose their Singapore Open runner up points before the TC?

5/6 is a tuesday, and when 7/6 comes, when the rankings are updated, the SO Runner Up will be wiped.

#11 vching, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  11. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    hence, 65849-7800+3850 = 61899 < 62451

12. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    My computation is for the next release of world ranking while yours is for ranking right before the TC. Both are correct.:)

13. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    and which one will be used for TC

14. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    I think the one that is used is the official one when the particular tie starts, which means the one right before TC.

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Since the ranking is updated on every Thursday, either May 1st or May 8th's ranking will be used. I have a feeling is May 1st's.

Can someone confirm on this?

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Team Managers' Meeting on the eve of the TC/UC

Correct me if I am wrong... I think it could be the May 8th.

There is usually a Team Managers' Meeting on the eve of the TC/UC for managers to field in their teams order.

Therefore, if the fielding of teams order is done on May 10th, I don't see any reason why the latest ranking (released on May 8th) cannot be used.

17. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

owh...nst sucky..hahhaha

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Ah, you havent read Harian Metro, Berita Harian, Utusan Malaysia, Sin Chew, Nanyang Siang Pau, China Press, yet :D. Metro sees the ABC as failure, disaster & doubtful for Thomas Cup. BH & UM somewhere in the middle.

The Star have always been more supportive/least critical if compared to the other press.

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

But i tot Singapore Open.....is in June 08 right after TC.....????:confused:...:D