Root out insults

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Birdwood, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dropshots

Dropshots Regular Member

2. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

i get what you're saying and i agree...
    if you wanted to offend some particular person, should of directed to the name not by using a racial slur..

3. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

You keep repeating the racial slur line. But the words clearly are not intended as such. They refer to him as a supporter of the Chinese position.

4. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Yes, the connotation was one of the problems. If it was said differently in a different time and context, it would be less offensive. The remark was made after him calling LYB 'pest' and I asked him to take the criticism to a different thread.

My objection is also about name-calling. Why didn't some BCers refer to others using their names, usernames, and something nice and positive, like friend, instead calling them derogatory words in a disparaging manner? The intent was clear: to offend ppl. I'd think that BCers make comments based on facts, not on race, nationality, etc. My comment in the incident should have nothing to do with where I came from, and the rules of no insults in BC forum were laid down by mods. I had defended LCW and others as well against unfair criticisms. So should I be called "Malaysia-man"? Or any Msian supporters that name? The answers are No! It's wrong to stereotype BCers in such way.

5. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

It is a racial slur. "Shut up la... chinaman" is equivalent to "Shut up nigger" Like i said before, look at how and why the terms were invented and for what use? For addressing and degrading a person.

haha... Panda is right tho... this argument and discussion is just going round and round and no conclusion... sigh.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To ask for answers from 5 of our members@Badminton Central

Perhaps we can ask for answers from 5 of our members@Badminton Central, namely;
    1. chinaboy
    2. chinaman115
    3. chinaman69
    4. ChinaManStan
    5. China_Man

:):):)

#106 chris-ccc, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

hahaha, where did you dig that up?

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

It's insulting to me and some other BCers. Have you even been called "Chinaman" before so that you did not feel it's an insult?

Everyone can see and make a judgment whether the words were 'twisted', and the record (post) did not come out of a police interrogation, as a matter of fact: far from it.

9. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

My friend, time has changed. "Chinaman" was not listed as offensive in the old dictionaries, but they are now. That's why we need to educate ppl who claim to be not aware of the changes. Also as said by some, in parts of the world, it's not used as an insult. However, as I have pointed out, it's a derogatory word very so in North America for many reasons given. Do you agree its use should be banned in BC forum since it's an international forum?

10. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

You seem to miss Chris' point. Five BC members have named themselves as he listed them (four of them with some variant of Chinaman). Are you going to complain that the name they have chosen for themselves is insulting (and, presumably, each of them is of Chinese origin)? Are they insulting themselves? How can they be referred to if you get your way? Are their names an insult to you?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    one has the rights to insults themself, not others, that is the KEY difference.

i have lots of examples but too reserved to express them here:D

#111 cooler, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  12. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

No. What BCers used for their usernames is between the user and mods. Any complaints should go to mods, not in the thread for debate. As I said before, some ppl may not know the word as offensive and in some countries it may not. According to Wikipedia: "The term has been used without stated offensive intent,and has also been used as a self-referential archetype by authors and artists of Asian descent." Did you read the link given in the post #2? So why we should talk about 4 usernames with no more than 2 posts while there are "Threads: 48,708, Posts: 839,812, Members: 30,644" in the forum as we speak and ever increasing?

bwt: I'm still waiting to hear your answer to my question first posted in post #108. Has anyone ever called you "Chinaman" before since you did not feel it's an insult? If not, why and how did you know it's not insulting?

1. chinaboy: Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    2. chinaman115: Join Date: 8-26-2006, Posts: 0
    3. chinaman69: Join Date: 10-25-2007, Posts: 2
    4. ChinaManStan: Join Date: 5-23-2005, Posts: 2
    5. China_Man: Join Date: 11-30-2007, Posts: 0

13. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I would take it if it's just 'shut up'. It's rude, but no point to argue about, and everyone can see plainly. But when put together with racial overtone, I needed to set things right, not just with him, but with all BCers not to use it in future discussions :rolleyes:

These are very fair comments. We are like-minded on the issues as with many other BCers :)

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i can use a good scratch sometime :D

15. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

the brain is itchy lol

16. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Yes, very true. There are vast difference in BC membership, which may see things differently. Not two the same (unless they are duplicated usenames). First, one needs to be careful when posting comments. Second, to apologize if it makes things better. I apologized often so not to leave any bad feelings or misunderstanding. I would apologize for jokes beforehand so no one take it for something else.

Totally agree. If anyone has the facts, he/she should speak on it to make the point. BCers don't win arguments by how much they can shout or degrade others by their race, nationality, etc.

17. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for the listing, very helpful and interesting, especially with Malaysian. Should I call our Eagle 'Melakan or Malaccan Eagle' :D

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Whilst this discussion has been (surprisingly) well behaved up to now despite being a touchy subject, please continue the good natured discussion without repeating points just because someone disagrees with you. Just because you say it more than once does not give it added weight, profoundness or lets people believe it more.

To give my opinion on a few of the point raised:

-I would certainly say Chinese Tea. China tea is just wrong IMO and I have not seen or heard people using this phrase. "tea from china" yes, but when using an adjective in this sense it is definitely "Chinese tea".

-Any colloquial or slang words could be deemed offensive to anyone. They may not be, but as BF is a multinational and multicutural forum, to avoid any doubt it it would be best to avoid these terms altogether.

-This is a written forum. Not spoken, nor visual, therefore the readers cannot sense tone in any way other than grammar/case. As different people use grammar/case in different situations this can be easily misconstrued. Because of this posters need to be extra sensitive to avoid offending people, since any sarcasm, wit, banter, sly, dry or other natured posts could be deemed offensive. I myself have been guilty of being misinterpreted on this count numerous times. Think before you post.

For all the above reasons BF does not allow insults at other members or slanderous and insulting language towards the players, since supporrters can interpret this an insult to themselves.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmmm..^^

..jamesd20, are you back in the UK, already??..Recently, you were still in China, right??..:confused:

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Holiday ctjcad, Holiday, Unfortunately.........................
    :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.