Malaysian Juniors 2008

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by erin_hakkinen, Dec 14, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Wah, like that future got WC CHamp & OG CHamp :D:D

That will change when these guys are promoted to senior squad, after OG in Aug. For a start TCS & CWF get to go Beijing as sparring partners.

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...kak...u are right...^^...

3. eaglehelang

4. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Sunday July 20, 2008

Hee Chun-Kok Siang get chance to break six-year lean spell

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang stayed on track to end a six-year title drought for Malaysia in the boys' doubles of the Asian Junior Championships when they powered their way into the final at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara here yesterday.

The pair, who were the only Malaysian entries in the championships to clear the quarter-final stage yesterday, recovered from a slow start to beat China's Chai Biao-Zhang Nan 21-18, 21-17 in the semi-finals.

The Chinese pair had prevented an all-Malaysian semi-final when they knocked out Ow Han Yao-Pang Zheng Lin 21-19, 21-17.

The focus was on the lanky Chai Biao, who won the title last year partnering Li Tian. But in the semi-finals yesterday, he found it difficult to defend it with Zhang Nan, who made too many unforced errors.

In the final today, Hee Chun-Kok Siang get the chance to avenge the defeat by South Koreans Choi Young-woo-Kim Ki-jung in the semi-final tie of the mixed team event.

Malaysia last won the boys' doubles title through Koo Kien Keat-Ong Soon Hock in 2002.
    The 18-year-old Hee Chun was happy to make it to the final, especially after crashing out in the second round last year in a top seeded partnership with Lim Khim Wah.

“As the top seeds then, it was disappointing to lose in the early round. I teamed up with Kok Siang this year and we have been playing well together.

“We lost to the Koreans in the mixed team event because we applied the wrong strategy. They are a strong pair but we will go all out to win the title for Malaysia.”
    Yesterday, Hee Chun also featured in the mixed doubles quarter-finals partnering Vivian Hoo and they were beaten 16-21, 21-15, 13-21 by China's Zhang Nan-Lu Lu.

The other Malaysians who lost quarter-final matches were Mohd Syawal Mohd Ismail and Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin in the boys' singles competition.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/7/20/sports/21874524.asp&sec=sports

Mak Hee Chun/Teo Kok Siang have won the Asia Junior MD title

Hee Chun MAK [1][​IMG][MAS] Kok Siang TEO[​IMG][MAS] -[​IMG][KOR] Young Woo CHOI[​IMG][KOR] Ki Jung KIM21-13 21-18 0:29 :D:D

#344 eaglehelang, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  5. winnie

winnie Regular Member

congrates to teo kok siang n mak hee chun!!

6. eaglehelang

Badminton / Asian Junior Championships: Boys clinch doubles title

By : K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
    Mak Hee Chun (left) and Teo Kok Siang celebrate their 21-13, 21-18 win in 29 minutes over Koreans Choi Young Woo and Kim Ki Jung yesterday. Pic: KHALID REDZA

MAK Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang were the surprised top seeds of the boys' doubles but rose to the occasion by clinching the title in the Asian Junior Championships at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.
    Hee Chun-Kok Siang, who were combining for the first time in a major tournament, eliminated favourites Chai Baio-Zhang Nan of China in Saturday's semi-finals, and were in fiery form to deny South Korea's Choi Young Woo-Kim Ki Jung 21-13, 21-18 in 29 minutes yesterday.

Their win was impressive seeing that Kok Siang is more a singles player but it was he who held his nerve at a crucial stage in the second game to turn things around for Malaysia.

The pair were leading 19-18 when the Koreans protested a flick service by Kok Siang but the service judge ruled it is legitimate which gave the Malaysians match point.

Kok Siang, risking being faulted, repeated the service and their opponents totally misread the shot thus giving the Malaysians a 21-18 win and Malaysia's first boys' doubles crown since 2002 when Koo Kien Keat-Ong Soon Hock were successful in Kuala Lumpur.
    Kok Siang, whose brother Kok Seng was the 1998 World and Asian Junior champion with Chan Chong Ming, said the victory has boosted his confidence ahead of the World Junior Championships in Pune, India on Oct 24-Nov 2.

"I was not really expecting this title as this is my first major, but I am glad to have matched my brother's feat," said the 18-year-old shuttler from Batu Pahat, Johor.

"We had some some hope of winning a medal after winning the Netherlands and German Juniors but we have exceeded our own expectations. Now, I want to give it my best shot in the World Juniors."

It also was a relief for Hee Chun who has always stumbled in the Asian Juniors, his best achievements being bronze medals in the 2006 and 2007 World Juniors.

"In a junior tournament, everyone has a chance to win and although we were not strong physically, our combination helped us a lot.

"I'm also happy to finally secure a title after failing since 2006," said Hee Chun.

"The next target is the World Juniors where I will be trying to do well in the boys' and mixed doubles."

Hee Chun, who partners Vivian Hoo in the mixed doubles, said physical strength is their weakness and he will thus focus on improving on that while Kok Siang will also play in the singles if he can improve in the same area.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2298878/Article/index_html

7. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    how come i duno there is the match yesterday?but anyway congratulation to them also..

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha...because u are too busy...^^..

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    tcs birthday tomorow....

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

haiz.

Malaysia still struggling to produce young singles stars
    By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: The just concluded Asian Junior Badminton Championships showed that Malaysia are still scrapping the barrel as far as producing quality singles players are concerned.
    Only Mohd Syawal Mohd Ismail brought some cheer when he defeated top seed Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk of Thailand in the fourth round. But the 17-year-old ran out of steam against China’s Gao Huan in the quarter-finals.
    [​IMG] Tough road ahead: Mohd Syawal Mohd Ismail needs to improve his fitness level when he moves up the ranks.
    Syawal has the talent but he has to first work on his level of fitness when he moves up the rank into the Project 2010-2012 squad next year. No other singles player stood out and this continues to be a major concern for Malaysian badminton.
    In fact, singles players have switched to doubles play because they could not keep up with the pace set by young talent from China and South Korea.
    And Teo Kok Siang is an example. The 18-year-old had fired blanks as a singles player in the previous two Asian Juniors.
    The coaches felt that he was the best player to form a partnership with experienced doubles shuttler Mak Hee Chun. They went on to claim the boys’ doubles title on Sunday.
    Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) chief coach Sun Chenhua said that Malaysia would continue to bank on their doubles pairs to win honours at the World Juniors in Pune, India, in November.
    “It will probably take another two years for Malaysia to challenge strongly for honours in the singles at junior level,” he said.
    “I am happy with the doubles. I must thank Rexy (Mainaky, the national doubles chief coach) for his support. Our juniors sometimes get a chance to spar with his players. He works with our doubles coach Jeremy (Gan) and gives us a lot of ideas.”
    Chenhua added that the target at the World Juniors was a final appearance in either the boys’ doubles or mixed doubles. Last year, Malaysia won the mixed doubles title through Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin.
    “Hee Chun-Kok Siang will be our best bet. I may also field Kok Siang in the singles but it depends on his fitness level. Maybe, it will be good just to concentrate on only one event. I will decide later.”
    In the mixed doubles, the hope will be on Hee Chun-Vivian Hoo. The duo did well to win the solitary point for Malaysia in a 1-3 defeat by South Korea in the mixed team semi-finals of the Asian Juniors.

11. yannie

yannie Regular Member

happy birthday darennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

i will wish you in facebook later. haha!

12. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    LOL yannie!! finally can surf BC!

btw..

happy bday daren ren ren ren!!

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow, yeah, yannie's been MIA for quite some time eh?
    exams all over now?

14. yannie

yannie Regular Member

erin: no i can not, borrowing my friend's laptop to go online in bc, can not open bc at all from my own laptop..

dreamzz: been to wonderful/beautiful beijing, didn't bring laptop there, no time to go online also..

15. eaglehelang

NST

1 Sept

Rashid: More foreign exposure vital

By K.M. Boopathy

2008/09/01
    RASHID Sidek strongly believes that exposing back-up shuttlers regularly to the international circuit is the only way to overcome the shortage of quality singles players. Rashid, who currently heads the 2010-2012 project squad and tipped to take over from Yap Kim Hock as the national chief coach, said it is pointless lamenting on the quality of the current players without giving them sufficient opportunities to see action abroad.

"We understand that there is budget constraint but we cannot neglect the back-up players. Giving them only limited opportunities (to play abroad) will not work," said Rashid.

"We have been giving the senior shuttlers continuous support for years but only (Lee) Chong Wei has capitalised on this."

World No 1 Chong Wei is the only player who has maintained his consistency on the world stage while for the others it has been a rollercoaster ride, and the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) must shoulder some of the responsibility for this for not sending more back-up players to the international tournaments over the last three years.

National senior shuttlers, irrespective of their form, had been given numerous chances and only selected back-up players are considered for grand prix tournaments.

"We will definitely see results if the younger players get their deserved breaks," added Rashid.

"We should at least give a player one year to prove himself and if he fails, we can focus on junior players with better prospects.

"The players will not progress if they continue training without seeing action at international tournaments. They will lose confidence in themselves.

"I have made my recommendations and will be looking forward seeing the younger players playing regularly on the international scene."

Veteran Wong Choong Hann is expected to be playing club badminton in Europe later this year while Yeoh Kay Bin is likely to quit the national team which means some of the back-up players will be promoted to the senior squad.

Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng and Arif Latif are the players assured of being promoted and will train under Misbun Sidek, while the rest will remain with the project squad.

Kim Hock's role is likely to be reversed and he may assume the role of coaching the national juniors at the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS).

Kim Hock had considerable success during his two-year tenure as the juniors coach in 2001 and this is a position the former Olympic silver medallist is said to be interested in.

The coaching and training committee meeting, which is expected to be held later this week, will be able to give a clearer picture on the direction BAM will take in its bid to win gold in the 2012 London Olympics

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2337926/Article/pppull_index_html

16. eaglehelang

Same news appeared in Utusan Msia. Difference is Rashid mentioned 4 names : CWF, TCS, Arif & Liew Daren , should be given more international exposure.

Kata Rashid lagi, ada beberapa pemain yang dilihat berpotensi untuk melangkah jauh andai diberi lebih banyak pendedahan seperti Chong Wei Feng, Liew, Mohd. Arif dan Tan Chun Seang.

Katanya, kemampuan empat pemain ini hampir serupa, masing-masing memiliki skil dan pukulan yang bagus tetapi perlu dimantapkan lagi dari segi kekuatan fizikal dan permainannya.

... names of players.
    The capability of the 4 players are almost similiar, having good skills & making good shots but they need to beef up on physical strength & game (??)

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2008&dt=0901&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_01.htm

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    juniors

Hopefully ISKANDAR ZULKARNAIN can raise to the occasion. Seems to earn quite a lot of title.;)

Rashid is correct about exposing more of the juniors. Its always an issue between management and coaches.:rolleyes:

18. jon_91

jon_91 Regular Member

Student
    tan chung siang, chong wei fung, arif, liew...they nt yet promote to elite squad mei??? y bam always delay thing????......

19. eaglehelang

Badminton: Rashid: Expose juniors before it's too late

By : K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
    Arif Latif ranked 91 in the world has been playing in satellite and grand prix tournaments over the last two years.

THE BA of Malaysia has been warned -- delay exposing the junior singles shuttlers at its own peril.
    The gap between Beijing Olympics silver medallist Lee Chong Wei and the juniors is vast and steps must be taken to bridge it.

To achieve this, Project 2010-2012 head coach Rashid Sidek wants BAM to play the juniors on the Super Series circuit on a more regular basis.

Chong Wei Feng, Tan Chun Seang and Arif Latif -- earmarked as the next generation of singles shuttlers -- should already be competing against the world's best on a regular basis and this means the Super Series.

"Even though they will have to play in the qualifying rounds, the tougher competition will force them to work harder," said Rashid yesterday.
    Wei Feng, ranked World No 55, Chun Seang (69) and Arif (91) have been playing in satellite and grand prix tournaments over the last two years and Rashid admitted their progress has been slow.

"I think they have played enough in the smaller tournaments and, more importantly, their thinking will not change if they continue to play in only these tournaments," said Rashid.

"They may not make it to the main draw of the Super Series but to bridge the gap with Chong Wei, they must face tougher challenges.

"For how long more can we say that they are not ready? They need to be given the chance and we can then gauge their level better.

"The players will also start pushing themselves and will also gain confidence. I will recommend the trio and a few more for the Super Series and I am looking forward to support from BAM."

BAM should have no qualms, especially as its belief in seniors like Hafiz Hashim, Wong Choong Hann, Yeoh Kay Bin, K. Yogendran and James Chua has more often than not ended in broken hearts.

And funding shouldn't be an issue as, except for Hafiz, the other seniors are not in the plans for the 2012 London Olympics.

Rashid said he is not picky about the Super Series tournaments.

"They can play in Asian Super Series tournaments, which are cheaper."

Rashid will recommend the trio and Liew Daren be promoted to the senior squad which only has Chong Wei, Kuan Beng Hong and Hafiz at the moment.

The other shuttlers -- Lok Chong Chieh, Chan Kwong Beng, Zairul Hafiz Zainuddin, Syed Akhbar Mustakim, Lim Fang Yang, Vountus Indra Mawan and Lo Yik Xiang -- are expected to remain in the back-up squad.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2342530/Article/index_html

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    juniors

Yes, time is running out. Good to plan early. from 12 juniors to have 4 to make it to the seniors is better than less.

Potentially 1-2 more will drop off due to burnt out. Hopefully the juniors can sustain it.

Again, it's good to have 1 coach to 2 players. Once the focus is less for some players, they may drop out fast. This will help the coach to hold on to them and keep them in focus.;)

Badminton: No strength in numbers

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Rashid Sidek began with 14 singles players when he became chief coach of the Project 2010-2012 four years ago.
    Now, only four – Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif – are seen as having the potential to qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
    The fate of six others – Lim Fang Yang, Vountus Indra Mawan, Chan Kwon Beng, Lok Chong Chieh, Zairul Hafiz Zainuddin and Loo Yik Siang – are hanging in balance.
    They have not been impressive and are waiting for the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to decide whether to give them a second chance.
    Four other equally talented shuttlers – Lim Kenn, Chong Li Qun, Beryno Wong and Mohd Syafiq Jamaluddin – had dropped out along the way.