height for a net kill

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by saifii, Jul 28, 2008.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You cannot smash or use any backswing, which will cause it to go into the net or go flat out towards the back line. Use the dab, with a shorter grip if possible to give you more angle options and to minimize backswing. The feet should place the body neither too close to nor too far from the shuttle. As I said, there is no time for backswing. The forearm pushes forward some 9" and the wrist is uncocked (very, very important) sufficiently to angle the shuttle sharply down over the net. Angle is more impportant than speed. There should be no follow-through. You can also use the backhand if appropriate.
    To master this dab stroke you need to have drills. Some coaches drill players for two hours non-stop on just this stroke, forehand and backhand.
    Last night, Singapore's Asia news channel showed a 1/2 hour story of Malaysia's famous Sidek brothers and Malaysia's two current coaches, coach Cheah Soong Kit and chief coach Yap Kim Hock, in which Yap Kim Hock shared with viewers on how to use the shorter grip with wrist to gain more angle options.

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i didnt get a chance to take a video yesterday when i was out but i did see this and hes kinda the concept that i was talking about, ill see if i can get one today after my workout/fitness if i go on the courts for a little. in the meantime heres something that is relevent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLHf_PxyXiA

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The shuttlecock is a bit high when the guy returns it. It will be harder when your opponent does a drop shot which is closer to the net.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's a good video to illustrate what a good net kill is. notice the girl has to leap out in order to get to the shuttle. the height of the shuttle really doesn't matter as much as the concept. if the shuttle is tight, then you need to leap earlier and further.

it also illustrate what taneepak says. there is very little racket swing, it is just a little "tap" on the shuttle.

5. smash_master

player/coach/student
    alright sorry for this being a little late, some friends asked me to go play for fun so i decided to just get a clip of it then. basically all that it is is that this is amongst lowest that you can hit a shuttle so that it can go "straight down", yes i know that if the cork is just comming right over the net you could technically do it to in that situation. just brushing across the shuttle, just for demostrational purposes but do notice that i do not affect the net in any way as in i dont hit it with my racquet i just make contact with the tip of the shuttle and then pull away right after that. 1st one is forehand 2nd one is backhand the angle doesnt justify the backhand it looks weird and looks like im just pushing at it but im not im using the brush technique and brushing across the shuttle like in the 1st one the angle is just deciving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnnfEk43XlQ

and yet another video that i found of a person doing net kills hers are a lil higher above the net but shows just how small a swing that you really need to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPmVq6RL7tI

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the location of the second video is intereting.

it is the main gym of the University of Hong Kong. i used to spend hours and hours playing there. i also noticed that the Danish team is practicing there (for the Olympics?). quite cool and thanks for sharing the video.

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The video gives you a different prospective in net kill because in reality, the shuttlecock is pointing down not up so you will be hitting the feathers instead of the cork.

8. string_theory

string_theory Regular Member

#28 string_theory, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  9. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Why on earth did that guy play such a high net shot! he's gonna get owned.
    but in a real game, no one would do such a high netshot, except in singles where the opponent is all the way behind the court.

10. smash_master

player/coach/student
    well there doing a drill where thats the case and the other person attacks it so thats the only reason that he played it high like that so the girl can attack it.

11. saifii

saifii Regular Member

thats more of a face spin of a TT shot. but i do get the idea

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    I have a question concerning the rules:
    (Faults)
    "13.4.2. invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;"

This means that if I do a tap with fingerpower very close to the net, the top of the head of the racket, will due to the angle, pass the net slightly before contact point. Would it be a fault, I guess it depends on how to understand "invades"?

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

We had a discussion about this quite a while ago, where I raised exactly the same question.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23489

My feeling is that the laws are not absolutely clear on this circumstance, but it certainly doesn't violate the spirit of the laws.

Also, it's something of an academic question, because it's too hard to detect -- without using video replays.

14. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thanks Gollum, Should have search first, before asking.

15. saifii

saifii Regular Member

yeah my opponents often ask for a replay of point in such a case which really annoyes me

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Yes, it is..

..since it was recorded recently, then your hunch is correct. :cool:
    Story below:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=936039#post936039

17. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    yeah i've seen it happen!! ardy wirinata net kills below the net!!

18. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    as long as your hit it on your side of the net and you don't get in the way of your opponent ie if your racquet is in the way of a net kill you're good. you're allowed to follow through on a shot and your racquet is allowed to go over the net

19. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Easy to hear, the accent is also clearly Danish...

Smashmaster: the video with the shuttle on the net, I cannot really see what is going on, how is the swing of the racket, and is that what you guys call a brush?

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    No, this is not a brush but a very close dab. You notice that the racquet head goes over the tape with a downward motion after hitting the shot. The racquet haead in a brush shot does not go over the net. A brush net shot is usually hit with a wiping motion from right to a bit higher on the left(like a car's windscreen wiper) at or sligthly below tape height, without any part of the racquet going over the net, where if a dab were to be used it would hit the net.