Was the umpire fair?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by limsy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. msianshuttler

msianshuttler Regular Member

photographer
    I'd like to blame the umpire too but KKK and TBH didn't play like they wanted to win.

Indonesians played more aggressively. Too bad too. KKK and TBH had not lost to these guys before.

Poor Rexy. He must be feeling bad. He's done very well for Malaysian Mens doubles. The players just don't seem to have the luck or drive.

Hey.. no worries we have Lee Chong Wei to root for.

http://insidebadminton.blogspot.com/

There's a poll on the right sidebar of my blog. Tell me who you think will win gold.
    Thanks

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i posted that link:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYNkePtHjo

bad umpire call too.

#42 cooler, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Bad call or ruling is part of the game. Every player / coach needs to face it, and try to overcome it. That's necessary for a true champion. If 1 call out of hundreds can totally disturb you for the entire match, good luck and keep dreaming about a "perfect world".

To analyze your own game, and try to see how you can improve the part under your own control. Keep looking for excuses, can only delay your improvement process, because you will always try to target it as, "someone else's fault", and keep dreaming about "better luck" next time. :cool:

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Right Guys, I have just deleted 46 out of 89 Posts.

The thread can have some meaningful discussion so it is still unlocked, I haven't seen the match but people seem to be saying that the call didn't affect the game too much, and it was a straight games defeat anyhow.

OG QF isn't bad, they beat their nemesis pair yesterday as well. No Disgrace in losing to Nr 1 ranked pair in the world.

Keep it nice please...

5. DoublesPlayer

DoublesPlayer Regular Member

Engineer
    because umpire is also human ... and in badminton, umpire is given too much power.

soon enough, badminton needs to learn from tennis and other sports, i have two things that i always want to see from badminton:

1. apply "time-out" in badminton, allow player to take two or three time-outs per set, currently, it's up to subjective view of umpire, which sometimes i don't understand the reason

2. allow player to challenge the call, if the call stands, player's time-out will be deducted.

what do you guys think?

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I don't agree on timeouts, I think it would just slow the game more. The way breaks are administered currently is OK for me.

Video replays and challenges I do agree with. You don't need hawkeye, just a camera looking down each line. If the player obstructs the camera, then umpire has final say. Also a video for Receiver or service fault. Like tennis these challenges could be limited to 3 per set each player, and if correct a player retains his challenge.

It doesn't have to be hi tech. A Umpire not on court must decide result (if on court umpire takes it could be influenced or affected by pressure.

7. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Regular Member

I don't understand why with today's modern technology, that a player is not allowed to look at a camera replay...

and yes I feel really bad for Malaysia because they would have made it into Game 3, and could be possible Indonesia would not have the stamina.

Judging from these 2 games alone however, I think Indonesia deserved the win.

8. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    There is no way you can ensure 100% accuracy in any competition... ex. How do you judge about service fault(where is the lowest rip?), what about receiver fault(may I say this is pure assumption)... those are harder to judge than a line call unless you are going to videotape every second of the match.

I mean if the umpire can get mixed up about which side the shuttle landed after hitting the net, what's so special about a mistake of over-ruling?:eek:

9. DoublesPlayer

Engineer
    if badminton can start implementing whatever they do in tennis for line calls, that would be a good start.

as for the other things, i agree that it's more complicated as we rely on the cameramen a lot to capture it, but we can always try. it's not going to be 100%, but it helps. the problem is the cost.

10. DoublesPlayer

Engineer
    or at least the umpire should give equal number of timeouts, not just based on feelings

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think bwf can begin by replaying challenged calls, even if it is for close to the rib service because after a second look, the final ruling would still be better than without the replay.

on the BCL vs kevin cordon match, kevin net killed a shot which BCL managed to recover and returned to everyone surprise. The umpire ruled it a fault saying the shuttle hit the floor first which is incorrect from my angle. I thinkn 80% of the disputes can be resolved with the camera replays. The cost is minimal since there are existing tv camera there already.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In the case of receiver fault there is no way an umpire can tell conclusively that at or before the moment of impact the receivers foot is not in contact with the court.

You cannot obviously replay every serve, but where a player feels hard done by he should have right of appeal (as in tennis). If he is doing it as a stall, and is wrong, he loses the point (as in tennis).

I can feel this thread being split into a video replay thread soon....

13. Woody

Woody Regular Member

Have you guys any ideas of the cost of what you are talking about?

Do you want to see millions of dollars spent on all of this hitech equipment to prove/ disprove something or would you not rater see the money go in prize money to the players who entertain us.

This is what you are asking for

1. Cameras on all lines 2 x base, 2 times front service, two times rear (doubles) 2 times centre and four times side lines.

2. Camera on Net

3. Camera on servers feet, plus operator to film it

4. Camera on servers waist, plus operator to fim it

5. Camera on receivers feet, plus operator to film it.

What happens if in doubles non server stands in the way of camera person?

All of this times 4,5, 6 courts if that is the number of courts in use at one time.

Oh I see only play important matchs on these camera courts!! How long do you want 1 tournament to last 6 weeks!!

Get real guys and gals!!!

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Agree 100%.

Here's another thread whingeing about unfair judging. Nato stuff basically. :rolleyes:

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You will only find complaints on the judging when MAS shuttlers are packed off.
    And yes, cameras and those hi-tech equipment would all cost a bomb, maybe a better solution is for IBF to award MAS shuttlers some form of a subsidy system like a 5 points advantage in every game.

16. winzerer

winzerer Regular Member

Dont u think it is ridicilous....this thread based on one bad call.....come on, it's life guys sometime things not like what we wanted to be....get over it...geezz

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Welcome to the world of Malaysia Boleh fans. ;)

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    1 point lost instead of 1 point won, is a huge difference at 18-18 or at 22-23 :p!

I think INA deserved the game, but with modern technology it should be easy to use cameras to get less errors on line-calls, just like they introduced the hawk-eye system in tennis.

I can't see any reason to NOT use existing technology to help improve the fairness of calls being made at the game..

/Twobeer

19. winzerer

winzerer Regular Member

the problems is badminton not like tennis.....there's not enough money to invest hawkeye.....but still tho would be better....

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The Challenge System has been brought up in other threads before and warrants some consideration. 3 challenges per player/pair seems fair. The existing TV camera set up in Beijing plus maybe one or 2 more should be sufficient. The 17-17 point incident was well caught by these existing cameras in slo-mo and a decision could be made based on the replay. In this case, if the Challenge System existed, the call would have been reversed and a correct decision made.

I can't remember which match/tournament prompted the original Hawkeye/TV Replay thread(s) but it may not have necessarily been brought by by so-called "Boleh" fans. And so what if it was. It generated tons of interest and useful contributions from BC members across the board. If it leads to the betterment of our game, I'm all for it.