Olympics 2008 : Who's going ?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Syaoran_Style, Nov 18, 2007.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Aha..a pic of our Abby..

:)...got this pic courtesy of kemana....:cool:

Abby is the gal, sitting at the top, wearing a white hat...Very easy going and friendly gal. That night, she came with her 2 friends, all dressed with Chinese stickers on their cheeks, cheering and supporting for their fave player GaoLing, as she played her XD match vs. the ENG's pair. However, it was a not-so-jubilant ending. All 3 gals stuck around, though, and watched the rest of the matches.:cool:

*In front of her, and sitting next to our BC group, was a group of local Beijing Indonesian supporters. They were quite loud, cheering, singing and doing all kinds of chants to cheer their INA players. Even our Loh was brave enough to ask them to sing the same songs that were sung during this yr's Thomas & Uber Cups..:p:)

[​IMG]

#341 ctjcad, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

[​IMG]

I'm nearly in Beijing! 28 minutes to go, woohoo! :D

[​IMG]

The new Terminal 3 at Beijing Capital Airport. It's marvelous! Beautiful, huge, clean, modern, everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I am, standing in front of the Badminton Venue after I passed the security check.

[​IMG]

The entrence of the Olympic Badminton Venue, you can see the security check inside the big white tents.

[​IMG]

Underneath the Venue Roof.

[​IMG]

The famous "Badminton Feather" sculpture inside the Venue grounds. It's really cool and big.

[​IMG]

The Olympic logo on the Venue Building. It really looks cool and stylish!

[​IMG]

One of the entrences inside the UFO :p Watch out for Aliens!

[​IMG]

BBEShop in Beijing. They are quite big, and have a huge assortment of badminton related stuff. (Duh, it's a badminton shop! :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see Jason (Smashed_1), Tarek (Syaoran_Style) and his friend Leslie looking around and shopping.

[​IMG]

That's a lot of shoes, *drool* :D

[​IMG]

Chris is on this picture aswell! And Leslie once again. :)

[​IMG]

The huge sign outside of the shop. It says: "Lan Tian Wang Yu Ti Yu", which basically means "Blue Sky Tennis and Badminton Equipment Store". It's basically only badminton :p

[​IMG]

A lovely view from the top floor of Xin Dong Fang Shopping Mall, the Food Republic place where we ate dinner with Loh, Hyong, Chris, Jason, Tarek, Leslie, and some others who I can't remember right now. Forgive me, it's late at night and I'm quite tired. ;)

[​IMG]

Tarek inside the special "British" taxi! There are only 30 British-style taxis in the entire Beijing, and we happened to find one! Wow!

[​IMG]

A rainy view, picture taken from inside the taxi on our way to the Olympic Badminton Venue. Inside the taxi were sitting: Tarek, Chris, Kevin, Jennifer and me.

[​IMG]

The R&F Club in Beijing where we played badminton. It's a luxurious club pur sang, and everything is chic. Spa's, saunas, tennis courts, table tennis, badminton, basketball, fitness, everything! Only for the richest of Beijing! Thanks to Ian (Glasger) for finding and getting us into this "Club"! :cool:

[​IMG]

Amazing architecture of the building. Very nice! Only the lights weren't placed very well. But who cares :p:D

MORE PICTURES ARE ON THEIR WAY!

#342 Fengwei, Aug 27, 2008
  3. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

[​IMG]

Tarek playing Seawell inside the R&F Club. It was loads of fun! Next time we'll meet again, and spend some more time on the green loving rubber.

[​IMG]

The famous Chinese National University Championshop Men Singles Winner has teamed up with our own Seawell, and is playing Ian (Glasger) and Kevin (BadFever).

[​IMG]

My picture came out a bit blurred, sorry for that. It's practically the same picture as Seawell took with his camera. From left to right: Fengwei, Famous player, Seawell, Chris, Tarek and Ian.

[​IMG]

The famous BadmintonCentral Kason racket! Kevin bought the cheapest racket BBESports had to offer (Kason brand) so we had enough rackets for the get-together. In the end, everyone just signed the racketbag and Kevin gave the package to Tarek to keep as a souvenir. How cool!
    Chris wrote the words on this side of the racketbag. Such famous words :D Shall it once end up in a BadmintonCentral Museum? :p

[​IMG]

Seawell, Kemana and Tarek sitting inside the waiting room of Quanjude. They were chatting and having a laugh. It took me 5 shots to get them all on the picture. Tarek just kept moving his head, everytime I pressed the button! :D

[​IMG]

Chris looking up surprised. He was talking to Li De Quan, who is standing in front of him. This picture is also taken in the Quanjude.

[​IMG]

Finally, the mysterious Li De Quan! A young man, a friendly man!

[​IMG]

The famous Chinese tea-pooring! We were all like "WOW!" Thanks to Chris for making such a wonderful shot!

[​IMG]

Our duck is being served! The chef-cook was a lady, and she did it very nicely. It tasted delicious!

[​IMG]

We just started eating. I've forgotten what we all ordered, but it tasted great!

[​IMG]

Another close-up of the serving of the duck!

[​IMG]

A group picture of all of us who went to Quanjude for dinner. From left to right: Fengwei, Li De Quan, Seawell, Kemana, Tarek and Chris. It was a pain to get the camera on a decent height for this picture, but in the end, it was well done!

[​IMG]

Another picture, but stupid as I am, I closed my eyes, booh! :eek:

[​IMG]

The Quanjude Wangfujing sign. It looks quite chic!

[​IMG]

We all love this Duck! Quak, Quak!

[​IMG]

Look at this, what a nice day, and such a nice poster dangling from that building!

[​IMG]

Look at that weather! Did somebody say Beijing was always full of smog? Bit your tongue! It's the most beautiful sky I've ever seen! WOW!

[​IMG]

Look at this aswell. A amazingly wonderful sky on our way to Badaling Great Wall! The view is amazing!

[​IMG]

Chris in front of the big UNESCO sign stating the Great Wall of China as on of the 7 World Wonders! The lighting was terrible, but yea...

[​IMG]

Another sign of UNESCO, showing the "certificate". The picture is is quite nice, if I may say myself.

MORE PICTURES ON THEIR WAY!

#343 Fengwei, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

[​IMG]

We haven't started climbing yet, but here is a series of pictures of 3 of us. Chris, Kevin and myself. Jason took his with his own camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The famous combination: The Great Wall of China, and the Hollywood-ish banner/board of the 2008 Beijing Olympics!

[​IMG]

Chris is a true photo-poser! The Great Wall is just behind him, ascending the mountain, and filled with Chinese Flags.

[​IMG]

A stylish picture of Chris inside a small portal. First we forgot to turn the flash on, but the picture turned out to be quite special (black/white/lighting effect)!

[​IMG]

Same goes for this picture, I really like the effect.

[​IMG]

Here is the new photo we took, using the flash. I believe Chris has been watching too many 50 CENT/G-Unit music videos. It's likes he's rapping something!

[​IMG]

A nice group shot with the banner on the background. From left to right: Jason, Kevin and Chris.

[​IMG]

Another group shot. From left to right: Jason, Fengwei and Chris.

[​IMG]

Final group shot. From left to right: Kevin, Jason and Feng.

[​IMG]

Chris nearly fell of the Wall! Can you believe that? Just kidding, but it was a funny shot.

[​IMG]

A close-up of the huge Banner! It looks really nice up close!

[​IMG]

Chris says: "I'll just jump on top of that crowd, and I'll simply crowd-surf up to the top of the Wall! Wanna go with me?" :D

[​IMG]

I look way to tall on this picture Jason took of me. I'm a giant, on top of a giant rock! My head is touching the sky! :p

[​IMG]

Chris and Kevin needed a break, and didn't come down to take a picture at the cliff/rock. So I just took a picture of them from underneath ;)

[​IMG]

Jason, such a cool bloke. The scenery was just stunning up there!

[​IMG]

Thanks Jason, that's a really nice picture you took! Makes me look huge :eek: But it's a wonderful shot! :D

[​IMG]

The cliff/rock thingy! It reminds me of the front of the Titanic Ship. But this time, I'm not standing, but sitting down. Very nice picture, thanks Jason!

[​IMG]

Just a random picture of the Great Wall! Looks massive, doesn't it? :eek:

MORE PICTURE ON THEIR WAY!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is so funny!

[​IMG]

6. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

[​IMG]

We were descending the Wall, took a small path next to the Wall itself. Kevin and Jason are up front.

[​IMG]

Chris, looking very charming inside on of these "Towers" which are systematically placed all along the Great Wall.

[​IMG]

The Olympic flag, the Chinese banner, and the Beijing Olympic flag! Beautiful composition!

[​IMG]

We forgot to take a picture with the BadmintonCentral T-Shirt on the Great Wall, so we took a picture standing next to the big entrance of the Wall. Sorry guys... we just had too good of a time to think of that T-Shirt!

[​IMG]

This is the weirdest and least understandable traffic sign I've ever seen! We were on our way back to Beijing after we left the Great Wall, when we saw it. At the same time, their was a small traffic jam, so we all got out of the car, and took a picture of it. Coincidently Jason came walking into the picture, with a "what-the-...?" look on his face! :D

[​IMG]

The autographed Badminton Ticket! Li De Quan asked us all to sign the ticket, and we all did. His souvenir of this famous and unforgettable get-together! Picture taken inside Quanjude the night we went for dinner.

7. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

That were all my pictures guys. Other pictures weren't directly/indirectly connected to BadmintonCentral get-together, or even badminton. Family pictures and pictures of me inside the train to Beijing. I'll save you from the boring shots :D

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Thanks for all the pics...looks like you had a good time!

Great wall looks really busy (Obviously). It is amazing first hand, it seems to go on for ever, in different layers and looks impossible to build.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i enjoyed the photos and captions.
    How did u guys manage to get the table #8??:D
    Isn't it reserved for VIPs only?:p

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Did you guys visit the museum near the entrance to the Great Wall? It houses models and artifacts that explain different sections of the Great Wall that were built in different dynastic eras.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, you guys stood on the Ming section of the Great Wall, relatively new . . .

12. kemana

kemana Regular Member

heihei,fengwei, basicly Xin Dong Fang is a language school. You must mean Dong Fang Xin Tian Di when you talk about the shopping center.

13. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Oops, I guess I made a mistake on that one ;) Thanks Kemana!

14. kemana

kemana Regular Member

hey, maybe you should post some pics of your new t shirt, which you bought here

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Where are the rest of the food pics???..

:p..:eek:..ai-yo-yo-yo-yo, why so many of my mugs???..:eek:..but i do think you did enjoy writing all the captions, Feng..;)
    - if you were excited when you were only 28 minutes away from Beijing, imagine how excited i was even before i boarded the plane from LAX. I wished if the plane could've gotten me straight to Beijing without any layover, which was basically a time waster.
    - the new Beijing International Airport is really neat; of course, it's still brand new. Too bad i wasn't able to arrive/leave at night to enjoy its roof lights.
    - that "Badminton Feather" sculpture is probably the one that taneepak mentioned to us to look out for it; and i believe there were 2 different badminton-themed sculptures; i forgot, was this one made from plastic??..
    - the shoes on display in the stores. I think in another shop that we went to, if our azabaz_ipoh were with us, i think we would've spent the whole evening there as she'll probably try each one of those shoes (she has a shoe-fetish, esp. baddy shoes)..;)
    - you got the correct list of people. IIRC, there were 7 of us who ate there on that evening.
    - the R&F club was the place where the security guard barked at us because we couldn't take any exterior shots but we could take pics of the inside (our playing hall).
    - Wished if the others would've joined us for the badminton get-together & dinner.
    - i hope the Kason racket hasn't been put on sale on ebaY, yet..:p..j/k ;)..Yes, we shall see that racket, the next time Tarek comes again for another BC get-together..right, Tarek??..:D
    - LI De Quan, yes, a wonderful & low key guy! I hope the next time we meet, we'll talk even more..
    - for that tea-pouring pose, i think we had to ask the waitress to stand there & pose for us like 3 or 4 times. The first few times, the pics came out to be either too dark or blurry...But it was kind and generous of her to pose just for the sake of us, BCers & the camera..
    - we ordered quite a few dishes. But i think most of them revolved around the theme of duck.
    - yes, we were blessed that day, when we went to Badaling, with a clear and beautiful weather. It was definitely a perfect day, weather-wise! Crowd-wise, at Badaling, not so pleasant, but we got through it; thank goodness we went quite early that day.:cool:
    - haiya, i was having too much fun scaling up that portion of the Great Wall..:p..Actually when i first saw the steps and the incline of that Badaling section, my mind rushed to my experience from last yr when i climbed the stairs @ one of the tourists place in KL. Thankfully, this time it wasn't as bad as last yr's climb.:eek:
    But the massive amount of people clogging up the pathway really made for a unique trek up. It was a bit smoother going down back, though.
    The following week (last week), though, when i visited HK and climbed up Ngong Ping (Buddha temple area), i thought to myself, if only i didn't force myself going up the Badaling wall, my legs could be less sore.
    - Yes, it was absolutely gorgeous that day; couldn't have asked for a better weather. Even Jason took so many pics at the Great Wall trip. *waiting for his pics to be posted*:cool:
    ..actually i was planning to go off feet first...until Feng told me, it won't be as thrilling as going off arms and head first..[​IMG]
    ..yeah, we went on a very busy day, on a Saturday as a matter of fact...But at least the crowd made it more of a slow paced & relaxing climb for us. If not, who knows how many loft sections we would've visited.
    When we left Badaling, in the afternoon, the street coming in was jammed with traffic. We then headed to this really mouth-watering dumpling restaurant in the heart of Beijing. Food was delicious, just ask our smashed 1 (Jason).;)
    ..eh, how do you know it's table #8 and VIP section, ah?? have you been there before?:confused:..We got that section because we were the only ones carrying an entire set of bags; yes, badminton bags, rackets etc. The hosts thought we were professional badminton players.[​IMG]
    ..no, unfortunately we didn't. Our objective (main itinerary that day) was to visit the Great Wall, step on its (restored) stones, take loads of pics, enjoy the scenery and fresh air, get tired (and our stomach empty) going up & down the wall and then...................................scram back home as fast as we can to get lunch.[​IMG]
    ..hmm, i see. So, is that a good thing??..[​IMG]
    ..aih, you know lah, Feng didn't want to keep on chiming about all the good foods and shopping places/centers we experienced lah..;)

Thanks for posting the pics and providing the fun (and creative) captions, Feng. It's okay, you don't have to send me the pics through email as i'll just download the pics from here (if there are any additional ones, just email them to me).
    Anyway, it was tons of fun hanging out with Kevin, Jason and Feng!:cool:...On that note, Feng, hope we can convene again one day! Maybe to see you again in 2 yrs during the Thomas & Uber Cups in M'sia.....or the Asian Games in Guangzhou, CHN....or..??..;)

#355 ctjcad, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i am so envy...haiz....T.T...

17. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Gosh, Chris. Those captions took me hours :p At a certain time, I just didn't have any inspiration left in me. When that happened, I just thought of the cool stuff we did, and something would come back to the surface, becoming a new caption!

No problem Chris, I'll send you all the pictures this weekend (I'll try to make some time). I thought that putting all the pictures in a ZIP file, and uploading that single file to MediaFire would be the best way to do this. Much easier than sending picture after picture through email. The pictures are about 2MB each, so email would be horribly slow (hotmail can only send 10MB per email). I'll have to send you 30 emails then, haha!

We'll definitely meet again during the 2010 Thomas & Uber Cup. I forgot where it is, but I'll be there! If there is a chance, I'll maybe even meet you prior to that! Something like the World Championships or a big Super Series!

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Come to the AE!

19. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Wow, James! How come I didn't think of that... after all those years I lived in Birmingham, I just happened to forget the All England :eek:

Great idea! Maybe we can meet up at the next All England! You interested James? :D

20. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Here are all the pictures I took which are directly/indirectly linked to the "BadmintonCentral Beijing 2008 Olympics Get-Together".

I uploaded 4 ZIP files to MediaFire. Total size of all photos is 366 MB, which had to be split into 4 different ZIPS. They are all seperate files, so no linking needed.

Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?hitlvmmj5lm (Some random pics of Xi'dan, Wangfujing, Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3)

Part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzag6cx5ymc (Olympic badminton venue, BBE Shop, R&F Club badminton courts)

Part 3: http://www.mediafire.com/?150jz2omp4g (R&F Club badminton courts, Quanjude dinner, Great Wall Badaling)

Part 4: http://www.mediafire.com/?dggm9m3zsd1 (Great Wall Badaling, Wangfujing Oriental Plaza Mall, Wangfujing night scenery, Random Pictures like Fu Wa)

Just download the parts you want to have. I hope MediaFire will keep it on their servers, but get them fast! Enjoy!