Badminton daily workout program

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lkomarci, Aug 28, 2007.

1. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

Ok guys, I've been a member of a few boxing forums, and some of them had this pretty good idea of keeping daily workout programs. I think it's good for coaches, and for players aswell to see where each of us stands with trainings.

I'll go first.

27.08, Monday
    • Beep test (condition test)
    • Forehand/backhand kill (return to base after shot)
    • Forehand/backhand net shots (return to base)
    • Forehand/backhand cross-court net shots (-łł-)
    • Serve-smash-defense-kill
    • net play matches (1 game to 7 points)
    • half court singles (1 game to 21)
    28.08, Tuesday
    • several strength training workouts (squats, lunges, deep jumps, hip twists, push-ups, sit-ups)
    • straight drop shots
    • player A straight lift - player B cross court drop (and vice versa)
    • player A straight clear - player B cross court clear (and vice versa)
    • 3-2 (lift-clear-clear-drop-net shot)
    • clear and then run to and touch the front service line
    • feeder A plays lift, worker smashes, feeder B feeds a shuttle for worker to kill (both backhand and forehand sides for kill)
    • 4x30 seconds footwork (back only)
    I will post after every training, it would be great if you people would join me. You're all welcome

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You should keep track of how well you're doing as well. This way, you will know whether or not you're improving.

some ideas:
    - running times
    - # of consecutive strokes within a certain target
    - exertion level

Also, keep qualitative observations of what goes wrong, this can be used to guide your training.

When you mishit a drop shot, where does the shot go?
    Why does that happen sometimes and not other times? What are you doing differently?
    What are you doing to fix that problem?
    Is what you're doing to fix that problem working the way you expect it to?

You see, a training log is only as good as your ability to interpret its results.

lkomarci likes this.
  3. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Just one question, is your list in sequential order? If so, I'd suggest shuffling your strength workout portion to occur after skill and consistency training, rather than before. Same for fitness work.

I would post my training routine, but I'm too lazy to train. It's just easier to tell other people what to do!

Keep up the good work.

Wayne Young

4. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

Yes it's in sequential order, pretty much. Probably not all the exercises, but as for strength-skills-footwork, yes. All the other exercises are mostly in random order. I know, strength training SHOULD occur AFTER skill training. I've started another thread about 2 days ago, called "badminton coaching issues" I think.

The main coach told me to lead several minutes of strength training just after someone else did several stretching exercises. Warm-up wasn't very good I think, they played several minutes of soccer but that isn't good in my opinion because some players will run more than the others. My brother strained his right leg hamstring muscle when we were doing split squat jumps as a part of strength training.

Well, I guess it's my fault too, I didn't complain about leading strength training before good warm-up. It does make sense though, it's just that our routine always included footwork and stamina drills before skills.

I guess I've learned an important thing today about training routine.

Hey, even if you don't train, it would be great if you could post your team's training routine. Of course, I like to pick up new, well balanced routines, and of course get some feedback for my own routines. Same applies for anyone else of course.

Don't let this thread die people. Post your routines

5. stumblingfeet

Go to www.inno-sport.net and check out their videos under "media". In particular, look under the "restorative warm-up" section. Then compare those exercises to those under the other categories.

That should give you an idea of what kind of work falls under "warm-up" and what is considered strength, strength-speed, speed-strength and speed-endurance work. I wouldn't worry too much about basic calisthetic exercises at the start of the warm up. Unless your strength levels are very low, these exercises should simply flush more blood into your muscles.

6. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Beep Test is excellent, you guys should all try it. Thanks for the info.:)

7. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Well, what I do varies quite a bit depending on whether I'm coaching an individual, running our provincial team trainings, or doing my own training (which occured much more frequently in the distant past than these days).

The badminton season is more or less finished for us now (other than some club matches), so things are basically just winding down. However, when I'm training for myself, the routine will usually look something like the following....

1) Warm-up with shadow footwork (5-10 min)
    2) Quick stretch (2 min)
    3) Footwork, fastfeet etc (5-10 min)
    4) Driving practice (5 min)
    5) Clearing practice (5-10 min)
    6) Various drills depending on what I feel like working on (30-60 min)
    7) Half court singles (5-10 min)
    9) Singles match practice (10-30 min)
    10) Various strength exercises (mainly legs and torso) (5-15 min)
    11) Tabata interval set - eg sprinting, burpees, or shuttle runs (4 min)
    12) Have a lie down

This is a very basic and generic training routine that I follow. What I actually do varies quite a bit depending on what I feel needs work on.

Wayne Young

8. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

30.08, Thursday
    1. 10 min warm-up
    2. 10 min of stretching
    3. 5 min clear
    4. 5-10 min backhand clear
    5. 10-15 min backhand drop
    6. drive (few min)
    7. drive - A plays straight, B plays crosscourt (few min)
    8. drive - A plays crosscourt, B plays straight (few min)
    9. lift-backhand drop-2x net shot (~10-15 min)
    10. lift-smash-2x drive (~6 min)
    11. backhand drop (~5 min)
    12. forehand drop (~5 min)
    13. overhand low smash and drop (~5 min)
    14. stretching

9. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Regarding the Beep test? We were made to do it at least once a month. I was wondering whats the level that most players should be at? As in, how high the level you need to reach to be a well-conditioned player. I got a 10.2 for my latest test.

10. stumblingfeet

Here's my answer. Badminton is an high intensity intermittent activity sport. The role of the aerobic system is to support recovery from anaerobic bouts of activity. Consequently, a V02max of around 60-65 should be enough. This is supported by research: if you look at the article written by Omosegaard about PEH Larsen, his V02max levels went down during the time he focused more on his anaerobic abilities. However, his overall performance went up.

Now, there are correlation tables between V02max and levels of the multi-stage fitness test. So, a result between 13.13 and 15.04 should be good. If you get a score higher than that and you spend signifant training time doing endurance training, you're probably not training optimally for badminton. If you really enjoy running, then that's cool. If you're only running for badminton training, then good news: you can cut back to maintenance level and work on the fun stuff.

11. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

15 mins of backhand drops? Wow, you must have a really grooved shot.

I envy you having the court time to do all these exercises :eek:

12. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

well, we were really in the mood for practising some more backhand, so we did the same exercise twice that's why it took about almost 15 minutes :)

My result was 10.4 or 10.5 I think. I'm not really in the best shape, this was my first training after 1.5 minutes of summer break. All I did during summer was boxing, no running at all, I think that's what saved my lungs in that test

13. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

31.08, Friday
    • (15 min) non-stop continuous running with several implemented exercises (such as squats, tuck jumps, push ups, sit ups) performed as fast as possible on coaches mark (such as hand clap). I changed pace all the time from slow pace to sprints, backwards running, sideways running, single leg hopping, frog leaps, high skip running and a few other exercises that I can't really explain :)
    • (3 min) forehand clear
    • (3 min) drive
    • (5 min) backhand clear
    • several min backhand drop
    • several min: lift-backhand drop-2x net shot
    • (2x3 min) lift-smash
    • (2x3 min) lift-smash-lift-drop (loop)
    • (2x3 min) player A: shadow smash -> net shot (player B feeds behind the net)
    • (2x3 min) player A short serve, player B push to the backhand side
    • (2x3 min) player A: straight drive, player B: crosscourt drive
    ...no trainings until Tuesday

14. stumblingfeet

If you really want to log your training, you can include what recovery methods you're using:

- amount of food eaten
    - types, composition, and timing of eating
    - sleep
    - self-appraisal of fatigue level, done just after waking
    - baths (ice, epsom salt, contrast shower)
    - massage (foam rolling, self-massage, partner-assisted, special)

and like I mentioned before, keep a record of the quality of your training. Think about it this way: you train to become a better badminton player. If you don't keep track of how well you're performing, how will you know that you're getting better?

15. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

whoa that would be some log. Ok I'm done writing my log for the first part of the day, waking-up until after-lunch time.
    I jot down when I woke up, what my energy level was, how my muscles were feeling in the morning (the day after practice), what I ate for breakfast.
    I did some strength training for about 1.5 hours, speed ladder drills, lunges and jumps. I jot down what the state of my muscles was just after the training, what my pulse was, and then after taking a bath. Then what I ate for lunch and similar.

16. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

ok i'm back guys. I wasn't able to to write our daily training program because I had about a week off because I had some pain in the right tendon which extends from about where the shin is down to the fingers.
    Anyway, I went back to training yesterday and here's what we did. It was light training

1. Warm-up, sprints
    2. few minutes of footwork
    3. Clear
    4. Drive
    5. Drive: player A straight, B crosscourt (and vice versa)
    6. lift-smash-drive (x times drive) - lift....
    7. Smash
    8. Singles matches
    9. stretching

17. mel_baddie

mel_baddie Regular Member

wow... that is one hard training programm. i recently tried out most of the exercises from Ikomarci during one session and i was almost dead towards the end.
    i consider myself an intermediate/advanced player but in my club, we do different kinds of training which i find not good enough. will continue to try new training methods.

one question to you guys who do this regularly..?? do you guys still play some real games after the training or not?
    coz i played a singles match after the training and i cannot even concentrate anymore coz my feet was so tired from the training.

18. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

hi there mel_baddie, and everyone else. I haven't been updating the training programs because I'm still having some problems, ankle problems to be precise. But I'll continue as soon as I recover and get back to practising.

mel_baddie: we play singles matches after almost every training. Yea it's hard for me too, concentrating on matches that is. But even so, I and another player usually do some quick multishuttle drills in the end, my legs do fall off and get sore, but I get used to it after a few training sessions. As a result, I can play singles without getting my legs very tired, but I can't concentrate very well any more.
    This break from training is doing me good I think, I'm going to be motivated for trainings again. Thing is that besides badminton I do boxing about 3-5 times a week which leads to overtraining. I lose interest in badminton training, which as far as I know is one consequence of overtraining (loss of motivation).

#18 lkomarci, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007