Gade vs Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by Morten, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Is it possible that the top few players are all evenly matched,the only cutting edge being fitness and stamina.

China players are built like Oxen , they can go on and on

and the best of them are also prodigies (unlke say CH).

I think players over 25 already lose out in fitness, some people force players to retire at 25, others at 25 know their limitations and change their playing style to one less dependent on say, smashing.

Compare Gade in 98/99 he could whip his smashes past Sun Jun but today lin Dan is throwing back most of them.

It could also be in the mind, remember how boxers use to lower their gloves and allow opponents to hit them with their best shots? Very demoralising.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Since Peter Gade has been quite successful before his injury and was then really a superstar, and if he is just lacking in fitness compared with Lin Dan and other younger opponents, it is well possible that he can win again if he he regains 100% of his fitness. Even now he can still extend the World No. 1 to 3 games. His other qualities can actually improve over time, his experience, strategy and tactics and mental strength.

I can't help thinking about his countryman, Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen, who won the Olympic Gold in Atlanta, 1996, when he was quite old at about 30? He beat younger opponents like Dong Jiong of China and Rashid Sidek of Malaysia, who got a silver and bronze respectively.

So it would appear that Peter, who is younger than Hoyer-Larsen at this year's Olympics, should now concentrate more on his fitness so that his movements on court will again be a delight to watch. The faster he is the more devastating he will become! The Olympic Gold is well within sight and it is a matter of his form during the crucial stages that counts the most.

Of course, beating Lin Dan at the Finals will be sweet revenge for Peter. But there are many other ambitious young men who will give their all to be in that Finals too! ;)

3. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I wont be surprised if Lin Dan loses in Athen. As i see it a lot of the top players right now are not playing their best and will in my opinion first peak at the olympics in august. It's players like Lee Hyin ill, Chen Hong, Xia, Taufik and Wong Choong Hann. Right now i guess Gade and Lin Dan are the most consisten player, but will they be it in august? Besides there is a big pressure playing in such a big tournament and for young players like Sony, Bao and Lin Dan it can give serious nerves. Xia, Wong, Taufik and Gade will have the advantage in experience as they have been around for many years. Gade for example entered the WC for seniors in 95 when he was 18..

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Interesting about PEHL.

I wa stold that a famous China player known for his fitness was interviewed before final of 1999 Danish Open on what his chances were against PEHL.

This China player is not arrogant, he just speaks his mind, he said sth like " Well PEHL is old, probably he may not be able to sustain a furious pace or Sth" On final day PEHL won!

Then Darren Hall was playing in msia in 1998 and some of the young Msian players were asked how they rated his chances, they laughed and mentioned he was "old Uncle" or sth and subsequently was proved true.

I think really class players like PEHL or Gade can produce surprises, never to be discounted. One can lead them 14-1 and they can still come back (egGade vs Gopi2001 AE).

Badminton I think is very much like Boxing, you can win a few rounds and still lose the match, depends on the plan I suppose or maybe seizing the opportunity or playing at various paces etc to psche opponent, experience may be valuable,till this day I am perplexed, maybe only old coaches know the answer.

5. Morten

Morten Regular Member

totally agree with you... Gade isnt "old" yet he is only 27 and for europeans they still are at their best at age 29-30. I think Gade will never be as superior compared to the other shuttlers as he was from 98-01. But back then he was not mentally strong enough to win the very big titles like WC and the olympics. Look at WC 99 and the Olympics where he beat both Fung Permadi and Ji Xingpeng in 2nd set 15-1 :eek: But then like in 1st he got nervous. Now Gade is perhaps a bit slower and has lost a bit in stamina but he plays with no nerves and that makes him a top 5 player in my opinion. A good bet on a olympic medal

6. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    Ok I know this post has been posted years ago... but anyway I would only like to answer because I feel like it :D
    First : I have to say that I play badminton at a quite high level (not so high but anyway) and that I can run 20 km in about 1:45.... Both are exausting but I really think that badminton is harder because you do not make your own rythm... it is dicted by how fast the shuttle is being played...

Also I'd like to say that every sports (almost) played at a pretty high level is VERY hard for the body ... :D

bye

7. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    no WC contest in 2002.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Besides LCW, PG would have to be my other favorite purely because he is such a gentleman. Last year, he did not do too well after a good start in the MO. I guess as you pointed out, he is a bit slower and maybe lost some stamina.

At times, you feel he could take a game easily but then he loses it as quickly. Whatever the reason, I hope he wins a few this year.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That should be: "I guess as you pointed out nearly four years ago..."

10. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Lol! You sure pay a lot of attention to the dates xD