Sibu, Sarawak !!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by llpjlau, Jan 17, 2007.

1. felsinkh

felsinkh Regular Member

housewife
    i am going back this friday to sibu.5 weeks holiday.staying in rejang park.desprately wan to join any group in sibu.

2. libertyeyes

libertyeyes New Member

Thank you. You won't happen to know how much a ns9000x or s costs, would you? Is there a chance to "xa jia"?:D

3. permanis

permanis Regular Member

The Sibu SHS badminton hall

Talking about the SHS hall that was in the posting (now a bit dated), I remember the three cement courts very well. The hall was quite dark with the drawn curtain. Used the hall for exam too back then.
    Yes... SHS was very strong indeed. I played singles and doubles for the school in the 1970s up to Form 5 ( as well as in tennis). We had Lawrence Lau as our coach but in most cases we just trained and played amongst ourselves. Run along Oya Road for stamina (then just a jungle) and do all the 50 sit ups every afternoon. John Hii was our star player. I believe he is still in Adelaide.Those were the days.

I have just went back to Sibu only once two years ago ( for 2 days) since I left Sibu in 1994. I am not sure if Sacred Heart is still the best school in Badminton in Sibu. Do share your view if you do its playing standard.

Haven't been to the current SHS and the big hall. I might drop into Sibu this June and see what the current hall is like. I still play twice week of badminton in Sydney and always bring my racket along when travelling and working overseas ( mostly Vietnam). I don't mind a game or two while in Sibu. Should any of you (especially from Sibu) ever comes to Sydney and wants a game of badminton, you are always welcomed. You can contact me at jamesehl@hotmail.com

Cheers

4. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    hello I stayed in Sibu and went to Hua Hin Primary school
    my grandfather own an old Hotel called "Si Tai" in Sibu
    My Grand father is from China (Fu-Zhou / Hok Chiu)
    My father was born in Sibu also
    after a couple of years staying in Sibu
    we moved to Kapit (still in Serawak) along the river "Sungai Rejang"
    now I stay in Indonesia
    because my mother is Indonesian
    so I'm 50% Malaysian and 50% Indonesian hahaha LOL
    yes I miss Kam-Pua mie very much
    I hope to go back to Sibu and Kapit in the future
    it has been very long time

5. 1984AllENGLAND

1984AllENGLAND Regular Member

I remember back in the 60s whenever i go to town with my grandparents,
    everyone seems to know everyone.
    And everyone seems to speak hok chiu (foochow) only. I wonder if this is still
    the case.
    If i have got my history right, the first foochow immigrant in sibu was a Wong Nai Siong.
    I was born in sibu, Lau King Howe hospital. I wonder if the hospital is still there.

6. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Dear Jumpsmash and AllEngland1984,
    Jumpsmash...Not sure I know Hua Hin School (Tung Hua or Tiong Hin I know well) or Si Tai hotel ( maybe before my time).
    AllEngland1984.... The Law King Howe hospital has moved to Oya Road ( Sibu Hospital) and the place is a huge open park. So you won't get to know the hospital.

But nevertheless Sibu is our birthplace and brings us together in this badminton forum.
    From your address, one of you is in England, one from Indonesia and myself in Australia.

I presume you all play regularly. I still play regularly and consider myself a veteran player.
    Twice a week I play. Yes I do miss Kampua mee here in Australia
    We might even compare notes of the game. Jumpsmash.... in Kapit would you have known David Chuo who was an outstanding player in Kapit in the 1980s or it is before your time? Everytime I go to Kapit ( not that often), we would look him.

Post your comments further

Permanis

7. 1984AllENGLAND

1984AllENGLAND Regular Member

Yes, still play regularly. In fact, tomorrow (15th apr) is the start of the All England veterans tournament. I'll be playing in singles in the 50-54 age group. My first ever
    veterans participation in the All England. My previous participations were back in the 80s.

I do miss the foochow noodles. I don't know whether that's the same as kam pua.
    Kong pia is something i remember very well as a child. Can never forget how rock hard it
    gets when it's not fresh. lol.

8. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    @permanis

Hua Hin was at Sungai Merah Sibu
    and I went to Methodist school in Kapit
    when I stay in Sibu and Kapit I was too small to play badminton (primary school)
    I started to play when I moved to Indonesia (Jakarta)
    now i'm still under 40
    maybe i'm younger than you
    so maybe that's why I don't know your friend

9. syncer

syncer Regular Member

Permanis! U dug up such an old thread but still, THANK YOU! If not for you, I wouldn't get to read this thread.

Yes! I am from Sibu too. I'm Singaporean by birth but grew up in Sibu until I was 12, took UPSR den. Back in 1996. I represented Sibu for the Under 12 boys team and got thrashed big time by the Kuching team. Before that, we were toying with teams like Kanowit, Sri Aman, Sibu Luar Bandar, then came Kuching, and we got a trashing of our lifetime!

Haha, those were the days! Like u guys, I miss Sibu, I miss my cousins, I miss kam pua, gong pia and to me, most of all, the beef noodle next to the fire station. But I was told they have since shifted. :(

Oh ya! Not forgetting the teh chi peng! haha...

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My wifey is from SHS sibu. Played in the old and new hall.

Kaliu kaliu oh... lol. ;) I only heard of a sukma player form sibu in early 2000s. ;)

My inlaw always tapau kampua mee to sg like 10 packs. Eat like crazy. ;)

Staying in Rejang Park.

11. permanis

permanis Regular Member

What 1984AllEngland refers to is foochow noodle of Cha chu mee ( literally means fried cook noodle in Foochow).It's like Hokkien mee but less dark and more saucy.

I find that the kampua stalls are all fast disappearing. The kampua stalls at the coffee shops of Ban chuang, Kiaw Siang, Kok Cheng, Sin Kiaw e.t.c. are all gone. The famous Ang Kow's kampua has been gone for over a decade but I like that ( it was in the same coffee shop highlighted by Syncer. The last time I ate was above the Sibu Market.

You all better eat more of Foochow food because one day these food will disappear. Thanks to globalization, younger set of Sibu people prefar hamburgers, pizza, xiao long bao ( or lai mien) rather than cha chu mee, kampua, tiang biang ngu, kompia with pork and soya sauce, eng chow nik, cha hung ngan, chu hung ngan.

Sibu has never been a powerhouse of badminton like Kuching. It's shown in the inter division badminton where Kuching always win. Sibu's best player has been Ting Wei Ping who made to the fringe of the national scene. I see that Sibu now has a badminton academy. I hope it succeed given the lack of interest to sports by the people in Sibu.

Kaliu (mentioned in extremenanopowe's post) means to go out or play. In the olden days, Sibu is small and everything is in the town centre. So once sunset,you shop, watch a movie, visit the night market, eat supper all in town. This is done after dinner in the house. The whole town will be full of people and very noisy. These days Sibu at night is so quiet and everything is at the Sarawak House area. Kaliu badminton means to play badminton.

Permanis

12. Elforado

Elforado Regular Member

Hi i know this thread is pretty old, but i think this would be the most appropriate place to pose this question. I'm headed back to sibu in a couple of days and i have been away for almost 6 years now. I'm looking for both a place and people to play badminton with. I have my own equipment and am definitely willing to contribute to court fees etc. Any contacts are welcome. thanks

13. Hujiewneng

Hujiewneng New Member

Aibu where got court to play? Need some player who can play.

14. Hujiewneng

Hujiewneng New Member

Sibu

15. Hujiewneng

Hujiewneng New Member

Shs is my old school

16. Hujiewneng

Hujiewneng New Member

David chuo now in kuching