2014 Bonny CHINA Masters GPG : R/32 to FINALS (16th-20th April 2014)

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / New Zealand Open / China Master 2' started by CLELY, Apr 14, 2014.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Gamewise, for me you looked like little bit slower compared to opponent. Nothing can be impossible with proper training.. Cheers..:)

2. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    Yes, i am aware one of my big weeknesses is recovery from a shot. Once I'm back home I know how to train for it. I need to lose some weight lol, and train my recovery speed.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I was sitting with an ex-pro player when I played the video.
    I asked him for the first few thoughts that came to his mind.

He said you must not lift to the centre (or just off-centre) of the backcourt.
    That was giving Huang Yuxiang easy access to the shuttle and was also letting him choose to hit to your backhand or forehand with the same likelihood of success.

The only other thing he said is you could cover the same court area with fewer steps if you broaden it.

And he had a question for me: "He can speak Mandarin?"
    Although I'm not sure if you do, I said yes just for the heck of it :D

4. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I wonder how Lu Kai would be playing with Zhang Nan.

5. swunk

swunk Regular Member

on youtube it's available in HD here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0dD0vrAEI

definitely wasn't bad.

what i liked:
    your attitude
    your clears

what i disliked:
    your serves (you lift your arms at the moment of the serve, every single one should be faulted, you were lucky only one was actually faulted)
    your movement
    your smashes

it's obvious that Yuxiang plays at a different level, his speed, precision and choice of shots are excellent, so you are almost always late to the shuttle, playing many shots from uncomfortable positions and being unable to impose your game and take the initiative.

i guess it was interesting for you to see your game from this camera angle, you obviously can see how fast, precise and sharp the chinese's game is and how messy is yours.

just my 5 cents, no intention on judging you, it definitely was a good effort and a great experience.

6. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Yeah, I know what your talking about. I know how to train myself and what to train as well. Huang Yuxiang is definatly better than me. He is on the Chinese national number two team. He's a full time athlete.

I am not full time right now, though I hope to be within the next two years or so. I have connections with a few provincial teams in China.

I am pretty happy with my performance and my level at the moment. In training I took some Thai's to three games.

I'm not doing bad for how much I train. But, now i have this video, I know what to train and how to train it. Going to make a new plan.

Thanks for the tips :)

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Hey TheComedian,

Nice of you to drop by. What's your story? Are you studying in China?

8. RedShuttle

Same bat-time, same bat-channel. On Day 2, Match 2 after 1pm will be featuring "that guy" again, and on TV.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I had my way, I 'd rather see Wei Nan, Ng Ka Long, Goh Soon Huat, Suppanyu, in addition to Derek Wong and other non -CHN players - all in Lin Dan's half of the draw so as to pose challenges to him. As it is, the possibility of Tian Houwei eliminating the four aforementioned en route to the final isn't low at all.

During Lin Dan's long layoff, both before and after the WC'13, he's competed at the Chinese National Games and the CBSL where he often played against his colleagues whose games he is quite familiar with as a result, apart from training together the last couple of months. For this reason, I'd prefer to watch him tested by the foreign players as that is the best way to regain his competitive edge as quickly as possible, since the Thomas up is about a month away and his only other tournament practice is next week's BAC.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Earlier, SIN's Chao Huang came close to upsetting Wang Zhengming in a close 3-set encounter. Having watched the match, I've to say CH played better than I expected, a much improved player if his performance isn't one-off.

As for Derek Wong, his dispatching of HKV at the SIN Open SS last week is noteworthy, should he get to square off with Lin Dan in the QF here, it should be a treat for us. Before that, let's see how Lin Dan clears Hsu Shao Wen of TPE tomorrow.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No disrespect intended, and all in all a good showing. However, as regards your statement...
    "I know how to train myself and what to train as well."
    ...Every player who has progressed beyond the base level has done so with a coach, a trainer and often a couple of other supporting staff as well. I think it would be a folly on your part to disregard the importance of a coach at every stage of your development. The dispassionate and objective view of another person who has trained for his craft (just as you do for yours) can often make the difference between not just victory and defeat, but good and indifferent.

Eventually of course, its your decision... ;)

12. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I meant in
    the short term. As far as plans right now. I train with the hubei provincial team once a week. The rest of the week I have to train myself with a partner. But I have A LOT of experience with different coaches in china including Tang Xianhu, so this is why I can train myself.

This is just temporary :p

#92 TheComedian, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

the commentators apparently didn't know you had been training in china, but after a few strokes they could already tell that your coach might be a Chinese.

14. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    1580026916.jpg

We be chillen lol

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Hi TheComedian,
    U did pretty well knowing that U didn't train full time with a proper coach/programme. With a proper training programme in China, I'm sure that you will make few adjustments on your strokes and footwork. Basically, U need to change your basic stroke and sooner u will be up there with those good professional players... all the best ya :)

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Actually, Derek Wong is in Lin Dan's half of the draw.
    If Derek Wong beats Khosit Phetpradab and Lin Dan beats Hsu Shao Wen, they will meet in the quarterfinal.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Is that Hong Wei photo bombing there on the right? :)

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Hahaha, nice spot :D

And I like Lin Dan's T-shirt:
    "Badminton - Until The End Of The World"

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Me too, it's really catchy and meaningful ;)

ROUND of 16 (01.00pm, 3 courts) => http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...412A4B-D8FA-47EA-B08C-5FD6C454AB60&d=20140417

No WS & WD matches today as all players have already booked QF spots.
    Looks like XD discipline is the biggest opportunity for foreign participants to deny home clean sweep here.

20. RedShuttle

That's the title of his autobiography. Wonder if the shirt comes with the book.

By the way, CCTV5 is available in HD full screen glory at http://sports.cntv.cn/live/cctv5/. The catch is that you need a Chinese IP address, or some Internet wizardry.