Camila Martin outplayed Xie Xing Fang in Japan Open 2003

Discussion in 'Japan Open 2003 / Korean Open 2003' started by Loh, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yesterday, Singapore badminton fans were generously treated on TV to recent IBF tournaments by two different Sports TV channels. Highlights of the Finals of the Surdiman Cup between China and South Korea were shown on Ch 24 at 6 p.m. I was on the look-out for Kwun when the cameras were trained on the China camp of supporters but I could not see any BF banner nor Kwun or Janet. I was only hoping, for I do not know how Kwun and Janet look like. I only saw, I think, Kwun's pinky finger when he posted a pic of a "hand holding the racket to emphazise the effectiveness of that special grip for a more "powerful" shot.

At 8 p.m., at long last, Ch 22 telecast the Finals of the historic All-England match between Hafiz Hashim and Chen Hong. Young Hafix, only aged 20, clawed his way back from a huge deficit to secure the first game, 17-14. The fresher Hafiz had a relatively easier passage to the Finals whilst Chen had to stay on court for a much longer time, especially against Hafiz's countryman Lee Tsung Seng and brother Roslin. Thus Chen was visibly drained by those tough matches and lost rather meekly in the second game and his last year's crown.

However, this morning, from 11 a.m., is special for Ch 22 (Super Sports) is showing live the entire proceedings of the Japan Open 2003 Finals.

At the time of writing this report (12.40 p.m.), two Finals were already concluded: Ladies' Singles and Men's Doubles (Flandy Limpele/Eng Hian representing England beat Cheng Rui/Chen Qiqiu of China in straight games).

So that I can continue to enjoy the other matches, especially the Men's Singles, I can only give a brief account of the Ladies' Singles between two charming ladies in their twenties, Camila Martin of Denmark and Xie Xing Fang of China.

Yonex has come up with a rather pleasant set of attire for the ladies. Camila wore a rich turquoise blue for both T-shirt and skirt with white trimming, whilst Xie was cast in an equally rich set of Yellow-Orange with two thin black strips on the shirt-sleeves and which extend to the shirt front. What caught me by surprise is that both wore skirts instead of shorts, which most of the Chinese lady players usually wear. Now, our ladies are beginning to close the gap against their Tennis counterparts.

Not only are our two lady combatants resplendent in their colours they are both quite tall, almost equal in height and with model-like features - slim, trim and beautiful! What fantastic ambassors they are for the badminton world!

On the court, however, Camila displayed her superiority largely owing to her vast interenational experience. Additionally, she was in top form moving about with ease and fluidity. The first game was quickly over with Camila winning 11-1. Xie made 7 unforced errors against 3 by Camila. Camila was also devasting with her smashes and drops, winning points from them by 5 and 3 respectively. Xie won points through 3 smashes and hardly from drops. The ladies played at a very fast pace and there were a few long and exiciting rallies.

At the start of the second game, Xie tried to set a quick pace with more smashes and managed to narrow the gap 4-6 with Camila still leading. But Camila was too experienced and countered with equally powerful and pin-pointed smashes, three of which she won points. Again, Camila made her opponent run the four corners of the court with her powerful clears and sharp drops, which she also won with three points from the latter.

I wish the match could have been prolonged. It was delightful badminton, played by two worthy representatives who lifted the game to a higher level unseen before. I hope Camila will not retire after this Japan Open, for then we will miss one of the best and pretty players from the world badminton scene.

As I end this report, I have just witnessed a splendid display of Mixed Doubles between the best from Denmark and China. It went the full distance with the rubber going to the Chinese, who were surprisingly unseeded for this event. Jens Eriksen/Mette won the first game 11-9 against Zhang Jun/GoaLing but lost the next two 8-11 and 9-11, a close and thrilling encounter indeed.

Now at 2.10 p.m., two Chinese teammates are battling it out to determine who will wear the Japanese Open crown. Xia Xuanze seems to have the upperhand against his younger and less experienced opponent, Lin Dan. At least on paper!

Bye bye for now.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cool! keep the report coming.. thanks!

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Excellent all around commentation, many thanks Loh.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well, as expected the more experienced Xia Xuanze beat his younger compatriot Lin Dan 15-12 and 15-10. Xia was apparently the runner-up last year, therefore this victory is sweet revenge and its comes with a reward of US$14,000 whilst Lin Dan gets only half that amount, a pretty sum for the Chinese, especially in lean times like these. But both deserved their hard-earned winnings and they demonstrated to all how modern-day men's singles should be played. That is with power, precision, deception and its opposing strokes of flexibility, fluency and delicate strokes. Both gladiators had to "dive" to save impossible shots and won not quite a few of them. LasyBuddy should be happy to take note of this.

Actually, Lin Dan did rather well in this tournament having defeated big names like Chen Hong and Kenneth Jonassen (Denmark) along the way to the Finals. Unfortunately for him, all his matches went to the full three games and this could have affected even this young and energetic player. Xia also had to fight hard to displace the likes of Marleve Mainaky, Peter Gade-Christensen and Taufik Hidayat.
    But Xia now has no injury worries as he moved about the court with relative ease and attempting round-the-head jumping smashes, some with great deception, to outwit Lin. In such power play and rather fast-paced matches, mistakes are bound to happen and it was inevitable that Xia smashed out on a few occasions when he tried for the opponent's left court side-lines. Lin, on the other hand, displayed some fine touches at the net with his net-clinging drops which caught Xia by surprise occasonally.

Altogether, a great match that should please the spectators as no quarters were given despite the fact that both players are team-mates from the same country.

Women's Doubles Finals

As I write, I just witnessed the victory of World Champion pair, Gao Ling and Huang Sui over their young compatriots, Wei Yilli and Zhao Tingting. At 24, Gao is the oldest player on the court. Their opponents gave everyone a scare when they won the first game 13-10. Being younger, Wei and Zhao were faster and more powerful and their elder sisters were forced into many uncompromising situations and defending their positions.

However, Gao and Huang started to dig deep into their experience by slowing down the game with good results. They executed more clears to the back line and patiently waited for weak returns to kill. The effect was devastating for the more impatient Wei and Zhao and they gave back a game at 6-11, committing more unforced errors along the way.

Gao and Huang continued their good run in the decider, basically employing the same tactics that were so effective during the second game. Although the game ended at 11-5, it was relatively an easy game for the champions, who now won the Japan Open for the second time after three Finals appearance.

Not to belittle the proceedings, all the ladies played rather well. It was no longer a lop and drop game, but one full of pace, power and endeavour. Hard smashes, great returns, seemingly impossible retrivals, quick recoveries and changing positions for tactics were a delight to watch. The crown was not handed without a fight and what a fight it was!

BTW, two differentiate between the two teams, Gao and Huang wore red T's with two tiny black strips over the centre of the shoulder and sleeves and matching skirts. Wei and Zhao wore the Yellow-Orange attire worn earlier by Xie Xingfang in her Singles match against Camilla Martin. But Xie looks more impressive than Wei and Zhao, who are shorter.

Having been idle for two weeks, I will now stop here and proceed very quickly for a game of badminton, followed by a good dinner with my baddy buddies. See'ya guys!

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Loh,
    Thank you for your patience and excellent writing skills for preparing these reports!
    I'm glad that Xia came on top. It's been a long 1 year+ drought for him. I love the way he smashes because even though he does not have a very high vertical he still has very accurate smashes, and they are incredibly steep!
    Reminds me of Taufik's smashing.

Keep em coming, Loh. :D

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks guys for your patience in reading my 'lengthy' reports.

Most of us will be able to witness the soon-to-come Korean Open live. I think there should be live telecast for Singapore, Malaysia and of course, HK, as Cheung has notified.

Not sure whether you guys can receive in the West. In view of S. Korea's close political relationship with the US, hope our BF fans can also view the matches, albeit
    delayed. I suppose, if such an opportunity should come by, Canada will also benefit.

Also not so sure about our friends down under in Australia and New Zealand. But am doubtful whether the UK and Europe will be bothered to have our BF fans entertained. If you don't get to see the Japan Open on TV, chances are you will miss the Korean Open as well.

Anyway, wish you guys the best of luck!