Rumor: VRC getting torn down for an Olympic event site?!

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by cappy75, Aug 1, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just got wind of something terrible last night. I heard a rumor that VRC is gonna get torn down for a future Olympic site:(. Anybody in the know, please clarify the situation. Thanks!

2. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Thats why I told everyone to vote against the fricking Olympics :mad:

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    That would be a *&^(*%%() crime!!

maybe our BF-VRC-Directors-in-residence can shed some light on this?

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    There is a city "Master Plan for the redevelopment of the Riley Park/Hillcrest Park" where the VRC currently resides. For some of the long-timers who know, VRC is built on Parks Land which is public, not private.

One of the venues for the 2010 Olympics is the Vancouver Curling Club, and there are 6 proposals on the table for the development of the park and surrounding area. The VRC land has alway been part of the Park and city, and not privately owned.

Of the 6 proposals, 1 is an extreme case where the building is removed and no future plans for the club. 2 other proposals consider the VRC to be amalgamated with the "Legacy Building" for the 2010 Olympics. the last 3 remaining proposals leave the VRC the way it is.

This is an important decision, and this is why all members and even guests/visitors who might consider joining or occasionally using the facilities, to make their concerns public.

There is a display in the foyer, and a sign up form is in the office. Please take the time to check out the plans for the club, and sign up to give support to your concerns.

But do it soon, as there are already some public hearings and the city planners want to hear from everyone as soon as possible.

You can check out the plans here:
    http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/info/planning/rileymasterplan/rileymasterplan_panels.htm

#4 badrad, Aug 1, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Is there any news over which proposals are more favourable than others, or all have equal weight, at the moment?

-dave

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    no there's no one proposal that is favorable versus any others, but if there is enough pressure from members - say every single member comes out (and there are certainly over 1000 total members) and voices their concerns, this would be a substantial consideration for city planners to spend less time reviewing the extreme plan. They have already mentioned that they would not want to waste their time pursuing any of the plans that could be met with too much opposition.

You will have to remember that for most petitions, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. In general I doubt that the general public has much vested interest in any of the plans one way or another. So we have to make sure that we get as much exposure as possible and we can certainly help them to make the better decision for the future of the VRC.

So let's put up the pressure. Next time you are at the VRC, put your name into the ring and make yourself count!

7. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

8. SmashingBird

9. speed78

speed78 Regular Member

Rbc

SB- Forgot what I said on Friday night, MUST RENEW the MEMBERSHIP! Don't move from the spot.

10. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Whoa... haven't been checking the forum these days, and the first thing I see is a rumour about VRC getting torn down?

I hold a slightly different view compared to most of you. So what if VRC gets torn down? Why is that necessarily a bad thing? Given the long established history of the club and its status in representing and promoting the sport in the province, what makes you think VRC is just going to die and leave the BC badminton scene altogether? If their Riley Park site will get torn down, the club is just going to find themselves another space to settle down again. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Heck, the club may even have to build themselves a new facility from scratch. The possibility of a bigger and better badminton hall... hmm... nice.

(Badrad, please enlighten me if I am missing something here or there is something that I am not aware of.)

-Rick

11. SmashingBird

Yeah, thats a possiblity, but what are the chances? and its not easy to just find another place and build another facility.

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Don't be surprised if that is not in the works.

I came across those planning options a few weeks ago but I just can't see VRC not surviving in one form or another. The City had renegotiated VRC lease just this year and I believed that it is a 25-year lease so the chances are good that it would stay. The VRC has also talked about expansion too so this might be a good opportunity for it to take advantage and expand (maybe relocate to a different location).

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    yeah, any new place will cost bucks, more bucks than what regular membership can offset.

14. SmashingBird

speaking of which, how is your facility going wwc?

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Gentlemen, there's hope yet before they bring in the bloody wrecking ball. Let's get the words out to the members and hopefully get them mobilized. Heck! I wasn't even aware of it until somebody told me. Usually I just brisk right through the entrance w/o noticing any signs, so it's possible some members could be unaware of it too.

16. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Still trying to get the right facility in the right location. Amazing how many 24' or lower empty warehouses there are in GVRD!

Found one that is 38' clear ceiling! BUT it's too far in the boonies!! :(

17. RacquetChat

RacquetChat Regular Member

Awful news...

I'm actually a member of a competing club, but this thread is still disturbing to me. I agree that if enough dissenting voices are heard, the organizing committee will take the path of least resistance and go with a simpler, less controversial solution. (let's hope, anyway)

If VRC has to move, it may be difficult to raise the funds to 1) buy/lease new land in an awesome location, 2) build new facilities, at its current membership rate. It would be a shame if they have to charge fees similar to other private clubs. Which means less people can access its awesome facilities.

Which is why I'm a bit upset with all this -- although my own 2 kids have a great place to play with great coaching, what about access for all the other kids who want to play? There is no doubt that VRC is the mecca for developing young talent in Vancouver, at an affordable price.

I think (and hope) things will stay the way they are. Good luck!

RC

www.racquetchat.com

18. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Fundraising event scheduled for Jan 19th?

I think there is a fund raising meeting scheduled at the VRC on Jan 19th. Looks like VRC is going to proposed increasing the size of the club (doubling the number of courts from 7 to 15!).

19. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Latest Rumor.... time will tell

The board of dirctors of VRC has been working hard to "save"....to put it in a better term......to "better" VRC and they came up with the best plan. (Posted at VRC).
    It once in a lift time (chance) that "ALL" 3 governments are putting monies into sports facilities. The Future plan is to have an addition 12 courts added to VRC and may become another "high performance" training facility like the one Alberta. That means VRC has to come up with at least 1/4 of the total budget and the remining 3/4 will be from the 3 governments......Since VRC is a non profit soprts club....... There will be lots of fund raising events to raise funds for this. VRC will be looking for all kind of sponsorship and sponsors like ......all you baddies......VRC will be counting on your supports so that when we have 18 courts (6 old + 12 new) built....hopefully we will not be...putting our racquets up for 18 courts waiting on Friday nights.... lol

20. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Wow 18 courts!! That would be fabulous!! Please keep us who are non-members aprised of the latest developments regarding these fund raising events. I for one would surely want to help out any way I can.