Singapore Open 2019, April 9-14

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Loh, Feb 28, 2019.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

Han/Zhou and Liu/Zhang are ousted by Goh/Tan and Chia/Soh, respectively. The MAS pairs are doing good.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Ohhh boyy... both of them make many mistakes..

3. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

too bad Ong/Teo unable to join their compatriots to 2nd round as lost to He/Tang in rubber games...

4. minions

minions Regular Member

The second quarter MD has been booked by JPN entirely. The 4 JPN MDs will battle with each others for one SF spot. So much for the random draw.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Chia/Soh is MAS#1 now replacing Goh/Tan. They just swapped their ranking.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

There will another MAS pair in R2

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

both lost in Round 16 of Malaysia Open Tour 750, how come their ranking can be swapped?

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I don't know. Because of their results in AE? One finished as the finalist.

9. minions

minions Regular Member

Chia/Soh were still the MAS MD2 after AE is over. They got swapped because Goh/Tan have to lost their points. Last year, Goh/Tan were in QF while Chia/Soh's result is the same.

10. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

How about Jia Yifan? She's pretty heavy for her height I feel. She wasn't this fat from what i remember previously haha

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's 1-2 for CHN-MAS men's doubles first round clash, He JT/Tan Q edge out 2019 MAS Masters beaten finalists Ong YS/Teo EY in close match, 21-19 / 19-21 / 21-18. Later on, Rio OG silver medalists eliminate China youngsters, the fast attacking pairs but weak defense Han CK/Zhou HD, 22-20 / 21-15. The off-form Liu C/Zhang N succumb to recent All England runner-ups Aaron Chia/Soh WY, 13-21 / 18-21. The number one seed Gideon/Sukamuljo also have hard times to pass teammates Angriawan/Hardianto in three games.

In women's doubles discipline, all Japanese pairs through into second round, 8th seed Chang YN/Jung KE were ousted by their juniors Baek HN/Kim HR in nearly one hour of play.

ROUND OF 32 (10.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...DE66EF-A758-4B76-A1E8-C196C1163F65&d=20190410

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
    - Kento Momota (JPN0 v Sai Praneeth B. (IND)
    - Viktor Axelsen (DEN) v Lin Dan (CHN)
    - Wang Tzu Wei (TPE) v Anthony Ginting (INA)
    - Anders Antonsen (DEN) v Chen Long (CHN)
    - Tai Tzu Ying (TPE) v Zhang Beiwen (USA)
    - Li Xuerui (CHN) v Sayaka Takahashi (JPN)
    - Tan KM/Lai PJ (MAS) v Watanabe/Higashino (JPN)

Baddie lover and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  12. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

21-9,21-7 Sindhu thrashed Reony's daughter mercilessly :D:eek:

13. minions

minions Regular Member

I wonder how Reony feels. I guess he is accompanying Gregoria as the matches happen at the same time.

14. minions

minions Regular Member

Shoot, Gregoria lost to Mia. This year is not particularly good for Gregoria.

15. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

Hmm sad, ashamed, angry?

16. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Is there any way to watch Nishimoto vs Darren ?

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Fly to Singapore? :p

twawawau likes this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Confident Jonatan Christie ready to take on the world, starting at this week's Singapore Open
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...y-to-take-on-the-world-starting-at-this-weeks

[​IMG]
    Indonesia's Jonatan Christie has achieved new milestones for himself in the past nine months with some impressive wins.ST PHOTO: GIN TAY

Published
    Apr 9, 2019, 7:24 pm SGT

David Lee
    Correspondent
    davidlee@sph.com.sg

SINGAPORE - Even as the badminton world raves about the resurgence of Lin Dan and the redemption of world No. 1 Kento Momota, Indonesia's Jonatan Christie has achieved new milestones for himself in the past nine months with some impressive wins.

The 21-year-old Christie has beaten four out of the world's top five shuttlers - Momota, Shi Yuqi, Chou Tien-chen and Viktor Axelsen - in their most recent encounters.

Despite not winning a BWF Tour title yet, these victories coupled with his triumphs at the 2017 SEA Games and last year's Asian Games, have given him the belief that he belongs among badminton's elite.

"But I know I still need to work on consistency and self-confidence if I am to win on tour," the world No. 11 told The Straits Times on Tuesday (April 9). "Sometimes during the game, when you are down, it can be hard to have confidence. That is also why I'm training so hard to become better each day. I keep in my mind that someday, I will make Indonesia proud."

His fan base seems to be growing. At the Singapore Badminton Open press conference at Wisma Atria in the morning, a handful of supporters were seen waving newspaper clippings featuring him while one Indonesian was in tears after being selected to take a picture with Christie and the other badminton stars like Japan's Momota and women's world No. 6 P. V. Sindhu of India.

There are also times when Christie, who beat Momota and world No. 5 Axelsen at last week's Malaysia Open before losing to reigning Olympic champion Chen Long in the semi-finals, can appear too emotional.

Christie, once an aspiring swimmer before switching to badminton when he was seven because his father "did not want my skin colour to get any darker", was warned by the umpire for several delays. These were caused by his exuberant celebrations in between points, but denied mind games were part of his inventory.

He said: "They were not intentional, they just happened. They are all talented players and I'm fortunate to be able to play against them. I just want to enjoy this journey."

In a repeat of the 2017 SEA Games final, he faces Thailand's Khosit Phetpradab in the first round at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on Wednesday while Momota, the 2015 champion here, opens his campaign against India's B. Sai Praneeth.

The 24-year-old Japanese and world champion said: "I won my first BWF Superseries title here in 2015, which was very memorable, and I want to try to win another one this year."

The tie of the first round though, sees two-time Olympic champion Lin, fresh off his victory last week in Kuala Lumpur, against 2017 world champion Axelsen.

Singapore shuttler Yeo Jia Min is also targeting a strong run here. She reached the second round last year and hopes to become the first Singaporean to make it to the quarter-finals in seven years.

The 20-year-old former world junior No. 1, who takes on Indonesia's Ruselli Hartawan, said: "I have had more time in the past year to work with my coach and new training styles. I hope to progress more this year. Each opponent is different and I will try to focus more on my own play and do my best."

The journey is over though for the Republic's top male Loh Kean Yew. He was beaten by Hong Kong's Lee Cheuk Yiu 21-16, 21-17 in the men's singles qualifiers on Tuesday.

#118 Loh, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

From 8-17 the Thai player closing up to 16-18.
    Christie might be in trouble if he lost this first game.

20. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

he's not in SGP