When will China's dominance end?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 24, 2006.

1. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ethen..i fully agree with you...LD really didn't meet all the strong player like LCW,TH or PG in this time but he still deserve the title...Anyway,the MD can't say dominating by china coz so far i can only see Cai/Fu in the china team and i believe KKK/CCM and the korean pair will the the biggest threat for them..

2. cindie

cindie Regular Member

Give him a bit of time.. ;) I'm sure he will be the next rising star.

3. cindie

cindie Regular Member

Hehe.. you'll never know. :D

4. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

^^ China was qualified in the Japan-Korea World cup 8 years ago.

5. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Is it...Then they should put more effort in the football..maybe they can win the world cup for asia....

6. franxon

franxon Regular Member

i tend to disagree with you here. population isn't the reason. of cuz for small countries like singapore, can't produce as many as world class shuttlers as china, but china's success in badminton today didn't come from her population.

look at china's football, which the chinese have been serious for decades, but far far from success. they also select the youngsters with the most football talent, train them hard, pay them well, the lousy footballers in china earn times more money than the best badminton players. but what turned out? 3rd class football in the world.

7. franxon

franxon Regular Member

i would like to see serious challenges from anyone in this game. if badminton becomes a sport only between 4 or 5 countries. what's the fun?

i have a fine analogy: Weiqi, or Go, which is a very very sophiscated and fascinating board game, as much as chess, if not more. the professionals make a good fortune and are admired. The chinese, the japanese and the koreans like it very much and are very good at it. And ONLY the chinese, the japanese and the koreans like it and are good at it.

From a technical point of view, this board game deserves to be loved by more. but the rest of the world is just too far behind and their interest is killed.

so it's always good to see serious challenges from anyone to anyone, which keeps the sport alive.

However, the success of china's badminton didn't come from nowhere, or simply out of a large pool of talent. No one else trains as hard as the chinese. it's become a positive feedback in china: you see the success of the badminton players and you are willing to send your kid to learn it. the better padminton you get, the more success you get, and in turn more people willing to join in this profession to make it even better.

honestly i'd like to see the chinese domenince being seriously challenged or even come to an end. it's good for badminton. but the chinese can't stop and wait for you. you gotta speed up, catch them and challenge them. the problem is, now, the chinese are leading, and they are the fastest.

#27 franxon, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  8. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Does anyone else hate these quasi-racist threads?! Why are we always asking about China's dominance? Its just an ordinary statistics problem, China has the largest pool of 1st rate talent to choose from, so they are going to have the alot of great players. Its not really China's dominance, its that players like LD, CH, BCL, CJ...etc work harder and from all account together with world class coaches to maintain & improve their standard.
    I really wish badminton would do away with their national affiliation system like tennis, it adds nothing to the game except grievences like this thread. Badminton is a game between people not nations. Added bonus of no nations, we can see some incredible doubles matches as the best players would team up without national restrictions such as Tony G with Kim DM..if only!

PS the whole football enigma, Im hoping is coaching

#28 V1lau, Sep 25, 2006
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I want to "inject" some inquiries..

...other than being known as a hard-working nation/people in the world, which i think is the biggest key to CHN's badminton success today, what other factors can contributed to their success??...i'm sure there are other factors??..And I'm sure there are other countries which are as diligent and hard-working as China also..so..

why is badminton so popular in China, yet soccer is not??..:confused: :
    why is soccer so popular in Brazil, yet badminton is not??..:confused:
    why is golf so popular in U.S., yet badminton is not??..:confused:
    why is soccer so popular in England(the founder of badminton), yet badminton is not??..:confused:

we have to find the reason(s) why first:
    is it because of population??:confused:
    is it because of finance/money??..:confused:
    is it because of prestige/history??..:confused:
    is it because of the passion/love??..:confused:
    or other reason(s)..:confused:

10. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

haha, remember last Oympic Game? Indian got no gold metal, but China got 36(am i right?36?).
    in my opinion, population is not the vital factor. china's national selection system is the most important reason that help them dominate badminton.

11. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

Actually badminton is not so popular as soccer. soccer and basketball are their favour. for the small ball, chinese like table tenis rather than badminton.

12. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

i agree.. and look at the way they train. for them, badminton is their 'life'.. day in day out badminton. they sleep at training camp. the players from china become very close. ive heard they cant even go home. in a way, its like military :( the country pay for their expenses so they can just concentate on training.

players from other countries like malaysia have to work to get an income. playing in tournements is not enough to keep for the family. this is what ive heard and i believe China is the ony one that has that kind of system. ;) so it isnt surprising they are dominating the sport.

maybe if Malaysia wants aspiring players, they should do that too.. but there are non-china players who are brilliant too!!

13. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Don't know when---my crystal ball is in the shop at the moment---but, the dominance will end in the near future. No one (e.g., person, team, club, country) can stay on top forever, or even for long periods at a time. Life doesn't work that way. :) Sorry, getting a bit philosophical there.

Anyhow, just look at how they were around this time in the last decade (i.e., mid 90's). CHN women were dominant, sure; but, INA male players were the dominant force. If we go back yet one more decade, CHN men were again on top.

So, give it time. The trophies will go around. In the meantime, continue promoting the sport in under-developed countries, badminton-wise. If the recent US Open tells us anything, it shows that Eastern Europe as a whole can be a force to reckon with. Already competitive players coming out of Poland, Ukraine, Russia, etc. Keep improving the development programs in those countries and soon we'll see fresh faces in top tourney finals.

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Actually I think this WC showed many problems of Team China.

MS: CJ lost to LHI, didn't show superiority over KBH. This is definitely not a good news, since there is no other promising young MS in China other than CJ: there used to be GWJ, but he is ordered to switch to MD now. Other young MSs are really levels below CJ.

MD: Only Cai/Fu is a real top pair, thanks to Fu's natural gift of smashing. And Cai is already like 26 years old.

XD: Zhang/Gao is way below their top form and not likely to come back. Xie/Zhang is not likely to be better in the future as Xie is also like 26, 27 years old. Other pairs are just not there yet.

WS: The younger girls are still at least one level below Zhang and Xie yet. Besides they are not that young, already in their early 20s.

WD: Similar to WS, younger pairs are still one level below Gao/Huang and Yang/Zhang.

So it's actually hard to predict what will happen like 3 years from now, even if Zhang Ning, XXF, G/H, Y/Z are still playing, they definitely will not be as strong as now.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u r not looking at this properly.
    so what chinese gals are old, the question is do other countries have any better gals, young, medium or old, that come close to chinese old gals down the road? So what if ZN, gao, xxf, etc are old , they are still better than any young guns from other countries.

u have no idea what potential stars have in LYB's sleeves.

dominance will end when badminton become popular worldwide, when more countries train and china has to fight off many different type of opponents.

#35 cooler, Sep 25, 2006
  16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Top China players usually skip Asian Games, so you suggested that China's dominanation will end when they not play :confused: :cool:

17. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    The simplest answer to your 4 questions is MONEY. All the other sports you mentioned pay way better than badminton. As for China where why football is not as good as badminton, it could be due to a combination of the following reasons:

1) Football require at least 22 players to play while badminton requires only 2. As a result, it is easier to participate in badminton.

2) It is difficult to develop and groom very good players in Asia because it is very difficult for asian players to play in the established leagues in Europe and South America mostly due to work permit issues. Developing a high-quality league in Asia takes a lot of time as the European leagues are there for a hundred years.

18. bguy7890

bguy7890 Regular Member

Can't agree more with you on this view. Why not simply make the tournaments individual based (as opposed to national based) events, except for Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup? That way, there won't be any national coach preventing good players from playing at the top level events. I think it will eventually go that way when there's sufficient advertising & sponsorship $.

19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Although parts of your opinions seem to make some sense, you did not take into account that other countries are also suffering from similar problems. As a result, there could be a chance that China will still dominate for a long time even "if" there's any "decline".

The best way to look at domination is to look at how many top ranking players each country has in the various categories. You will realize that China simply have enough to last a long time.

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You hit the nail on the head with "sufficient advertising & sponsorship $" but that's a pipe dream in the future. Very few pro players currently are able to fund themselves sufficiently for a full badminton season. They rely on their badminton associations for that. From a badminton association point of view, if they were to provide funding, they'd want the player to recognize the country that's supporting you. That being the case, badminton will remain a nation-centric sport, and IMO that's one of the great traditions of badminton. Patriotism and national fervour is not a bad thing.