[BAM]Malaysia in danger of missing Thomas Cup Finals

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Preliminary Round 2012' started by cxytdn, Jan 8, 2012.

1. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I am pretty sure Bcers from other countries need special devices to record HQ or badminton matches in their respective sport channels itself. I believe most of the Malaysians are wealthy enough to hire at least one maid and have at least 1-2 cars per household. If I am not mistaken, they are even willing to spend RM50 (per entry) to most of the night clubs in KL frequently and spend RM x,000+ to buy designer bags/product like longchamp, burberry, iphone-s and etc. Why they find it hard to subscribe to the recording function of Astro continue to elude me. Last time I checked, downloading movies (pirated or not) from Malaysia continue to be one of the most popular activities in Malaysia especially among the youngsters. Why they find it hard to do the other way round of uploading to sharefolders is again beyong my imagination. Maybe they are just not so into badminton or they don't want to contribute. Choose one, or both of these options, cause either way it shows that most Malaysians lack interest in this sport. Of course, I do not blame them as they are free to choose their lifestyle. All I wanted to highlight is the lack of interest to contribute to this sport, that's all.

Note that I mentioned that professional career are financially more rewarding if they can actually land an ideal job. The last time I checked, most of the high qualification graduates could not find a job. There are rumors that Malaysia have an over supply of graduate medical students due to some brilliant stategy by the government although I am not sure.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14823042

If you compare those who can't make it top in sport to those graduates which earn top range salary, of course the contrast is great. But if you compared them to the jobless graduates, is not that bad isn't it?

I agree with you that sports career has higher risks. But if you look at the bigger pictures and compare the return investment of badminton players and professional careers, things might not be as bad as you think. Parents are willing to send millions of RM to send their children to tuition and oversea to pursue a degree with high hope that their kids can land a top earning jobs. However, they lack the same confidence when it comes to supporting their children in sport career. I am sure it costs less to train they children up to be a badminton player. Not to mention that their kids can only bring in income after 16 years of investment in education wheares good badminton players could actually earn a living earlier than that.
    Don't you think that this is more of a sort of biased perception that cause them to make such a choice?
    Again, these parents are free to do whatever they want with their money. All I wanted to do here is to provide another perspective to look at this issue.

#41 lcleing, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

ok,ok, lol. One day you should try recording, compressing & uploading on 1MB speed, with disconnections every couple of hours. I can guarantee there will be comments on how slow the uploader is. ;):p

Only rich parents who can afford to send their kids for overseas studies or even twinning program. If not, it's earning the dough as quickly as possible, for as long as possible, i.e. 55, not retire at 30+ like sports. Plus news on the dire straits of former sportsmen & how some Msia back up players struggle to make ends meet will make the parents think 10 more times.

#42 eaglehelang, Jan 19, 2012
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is inevitable that MAS will perform badly at the Thomas Cup event

About Malaysia in danger of missing 2012 Thomas Cup Finals, it is inevitable. It is impossible to avoid or prevent this outcome from happening (this year).

Why? Because Malaysia is so eager to win at the 2011 World Championships and the 2012 Olympic Games, that little attention was paid to this TC event.

What I can read from most Malaysian news, BAM paid so much attention to LCW and KKK/TBH (for their WC and OG preparation) that other players were left out.

IMHO, I consider the TC as an inter-nations team event. BAM, as the team managers, have failed badly here.

OTOH, I consider the WC and the OG as individual events. But somehow BAM care more for doing well in these events. This really really surprises me.

What I am saying is - If BAM continue to put their efforts on just 1, 2 or 3 players/pairs, then it is inevitable that MAS will perform badly at the TC.

And it's too late to build a strong TC team now.

#43 chris-ccc, Jan 19, 2012
  4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Because MAS is the so-called baddy powerhouse to have yet win the WC or OLY gold. Even US of A has done the deed:crying: NCC even appointed himself as the manager for the WC team (read this means 'take the credit if MAS gets the gold') and NCC almost had his prayer came through, LCW had 2 match points and lost. As for TC, NCC probably knows MAS has no hope, in fact TC is for CHN to lose, everybody has slim to none chance.

5. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    OT: Not sure you know this Icleing, the malaysians have even been prohibited/locked out - the govt BRILLIANT move *duh* - from accessing the file uploading websites eg megaupload, etc... not many are IT savvy and opt to using global dns to access these sites. Plus not many badminton fans (malaysian) who does this live recording. They just watch for them, maybe. Just my personal view. May not be the case *pardon me*.

But what eaglehelang said is true about that astro stuff. Even I don't buy that recording service simply because I find I don't watch tv no longer except for my live baddy/olympic matches and astro adds double charge on top of the monthly fee - one for their admin fee and the other the govt fee. *i can never accept that!!* How can I'm interested to pay RM150++ for a service I don't use everyday? Astro just raised their sport channel fee for more coverage they said, and I thought I'd get more badminton coverage like showing baddy tourney from Round one to final.. but the channels are flooded with football. *what??!!* I bet they gonna raise it again.

I knew a person with 5 digit salary not even owning astro at her home all those years until now... not sure if she's a sport fan though

And finally, that internet speed... they just plain S.*.*.K. I even don't have the idea why I continue paying for this dissatisfying service... perhaps cos that's the only way I could continue streaming despite the lagging and visit bc while at home. Not making excuse, just state my predicament. As much as I love badminton, I don't have a maid to help me do the recording - I can't even pay for one out of not having the necessity to have one. Coming home late and missing those live session on tv is very very annoying. Thus I normally apply for a leave every friday when it's quarter final & also during olympic/TC/SC. It's a known fact among my colleagues and friends that whenever I took a leave, mainly it would be for badminton, at home.

My internet speed is so darn poor even to upload to my youtube account took years that I gave up... I'm very thankful for the uploaders for sharing these videos. Cos, I am not in the best environment/with the best circumstances to contribute.

But no worry I support badminton to death. I even told a friend I wanna topple BAM but he said, you gotta have power beside money... what can I say to that?:eek:

I agree with you on the last part. I will definitely encourage my future kids to take up sports. Despite my sister rolling her eyes to oblivion on my ambitious dream, I don't think I want my kids to suffer my office life and to obey people who only talk, talk, talk rubbish and do nothing else. Work like hell, come home feeling like been to hell and back... no,no,no... ;)

#45 eRa@에라, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. sen

sen Regular Member

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    but people always ask where is the money

8. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

Malaysia will qualify Thomas Cup, but then not sure about Uber Cup, i'm guessing maybe China, Thailand, Japan and Chinese Taipei will qualify,

9. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

It is not too late for Mal to pull out of the event completely and find an excuse to convince the world "Malaysia still boleh".

If BAM decided to skip the event this year, no-one will know the truth for years why they did that. On the other hand if BAM decided to move forward and failed to qualify, someone got to take the blame.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no worry
    their post is soooooooooooo solid and nothing can shake them
    not even when world end
    hehe
    u can see rashid sidek yawning around after that,hehe

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    are lcw relieble in team event?

he lost to lin dan in 2010 tc
    he lost to boonsak in 2010 asian games
    he lost to peter gade in 2006 tc

how do u say?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, draw is out.

Malaysia is drawn against Korea.

if they loses that, they have to play Indonesia in QF.

if they loses that, they will get thrown into 5-8th round robin. the winner of the round robin will get the 5th qualifying spot to go to Wuhan.

potential contender in the round robin will be:

Thailand
    India
    Chinese Taipei or Japan
    Malaysia or Indonesia

to be honest, i think Malaysia got a decent draw.

13. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    While other teams is making strategy on how to win the cup, MAS is struggling on how to qualify to the final round.

Pity Mas.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I might sound crazy. I love my players, i know they trained hard and I love Malaysia.
    But personally i would like Malaysia to Fail in the Qualifying for once.
    I don't want them to just get by the passing mark. I want them to go back to the drawing board when they fail.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It's just too late

I also think it's too late for Malaysia to even try to make it into this year's (2012) Thomas Cup Finals.

It's better to work on mission for future TC's. This year's TC preparation is just too late.

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    To be realistic, MAS is fighting among the 5th-8th group. So, the primary aim is to make the QF first, and honestly (sad to say), HKG is looking a bit dicey, with singles players that can take 2 points. From this angle, MAS is in the worst group as HKG is, in my view, the best team among the 9th to 14th group.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

When Malaysia in on par with Taiwan, Hong Kong or Thailand.. there is nothing to talk about. Im disgusted. No offense to the other countries. Im just disappointed with Malaysia status now.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Based on the assessment in post #26 (where MD1 is critical) at : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/107469-Draw-and-schedule-are-out/page2 if MAS cannot qualify, they are not on par with these countries. They are rank lower. Sad case.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    was 100% correct when i forecasted mas defeat to thailand and japan
    and at most mas can reach is 7th or 8th

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Read the News today... BAM will not kick a fuss if Malaysia did not qualify for the Thomas Cup Finals.
    Olympic Gold is still Malaysia's priority.

Of course you can say that when you know the team have a chance of not qualifying. I can also say that
    its no big deal for me not able to play for Malaysia. It is such a lame respond.

Bottom line is what are we going to do about it?

I think it will be a one man show. Might as well put everyone on Holiday since we know it very clear that only Chong Wei stands a chance to win the Gold. Doubles... maybe if the KKK/TBH can put up some
    miracle.

My point is they don't have back up plans to strengthen the TEAM overall. Comeon... we are no longer a
    Badminton Powerhouse Anymore. If something happen to Chong Wei.. what do we have left?

One thing for sure.. our ladies did better. But there is still room for improvement. A Big ROOM that is.

#60 ants, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012