INA squad for Sudirman Cup 2013

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2013' started by miksss, Apr 1, 2013.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Bonuses for Indonesia’s Sudirman Cup Team Despite Loss

By Jakarta Globe on 6:53 pm May 27, 2013
    http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/sports/bonuses-for-sudirman-cup-team-despite-loss/

Excerpts:

...“The team’s struggle is amazing and we are proud of it. For that, we will give them a bonus,” Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) chairman Gita Wirjawan said on the organization’s website on Monday.

...Gita said the loss was a learning experience ahead of major upcoming tournaments including the World Championships (Guangzhou, Aug. 5-11) and the Southeast Asian Games (Myanmar, Dec. 11-22).

“These two are our major targets this year,” Gita said.

...Sunday’s Sudirman Cup victory at the Putra Indoor Stadium was also the fifth straight final in the world mixed teams championships that China has won without dropping a match.

But Chinese coach Li Yongbo insisted it had been a tough tournament, with Thailand showing progress by reaching its first ever semifinal.

“I disagree with anyone who says we had it easy in this tournament. We had to fight all the way to win this title,” Li said.

2. sen

sen Regular Member

This is a never ending debate of ifs. I don't want to discuss about it but my opinion is just about Axiata and Sudirman Cup. Those 2 are very different and the focus is also different. When Sudirman Cup is put as one of the major target, the players are trained to achieve peak or near peak. Axiata is like a warm up and INA tried many different players and some players even were sent to other tournaments in between.

As to why Ahsan/Hendra lost in Axiata and hardly played again, it has been discussed in http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/116597-Mohd-Ahsan-Hendra-Setiawan/page5

Ahsan is still not fit. In AE, I think he was distracted by his marriage preparation and after that he never regained his form due to injury.

3. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    provocative words ? I don't think so. I just want to ask, how many years needed by ina to beat china, as a response to jagdpanther comments.

4. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    don't forget, in 2005 and 2007, Lin Dan and Gao Ling / Zhang Jun or Zheng Bo still in the Sudirman Cup squad

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

2 years been mentioned, not me.

as for now, INA has decent XD and MD, WD is still well behind China.
    so, statistically they have to improve both singles to 70-30 winning odds to have an even chance to beat China in SC.

so, the answer is when INA's both singles beat the Chinese regularly with a 70% winning ratio they will have a chance to beat China, that's how soon!

6. badadum

badadum Regular Member

That's too tall of an order to achieve in just 2 years. INA will have better chances in Thomas Cup (winning 2 MD and trying to steal a 3rd point from one onf the MS). I doubt it can happen next year, but 2016 is a good target for it.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Really really doubt they can get 2 points in MD....even the one they got was against an off-form CY/FHF. With LQL/QZH only gettinger stronger and more confident the first MD is gonna be an uphill battle already, and Chai Biao/Hong Wei will probably get their chance and looked very promising so far...

8. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Getting stronger + more confident + very promising =/= invincible.

9. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by j4ckie [​IMG]

Really really doubt they can get 2 points in MD....even the one they got was against an off-form CY/FHF. With LQL/QZH only gettinger stronger and more confident the first MD is gonna be an uphill battle already, and Chai Biao/Hong Wei will probably get their chance and looked very promising so far..."

I think the point is Indonesia needs to find a second pair which is strong enough challenge CB/HW before they have a real chance of win over China in Thomas Cup.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Exactly. I didn't say it was impossible to beat the Chinese MD combinations but the likelihood of Indonesia doing so in the next 2 years is very little.
    Angga/Pratama look promising though. With Setiawan not getting any younger, maybe they can take the load off his shoulders (as he is pretty much the only really dangerous INA MD player right now).

11. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    The idea is this: Who would've thought Liu/Qiu could be where they are now 2 years ago? Heck, the worshipping shri-, ahem, thread for them was only created at the end of last year. The post rate gets rapidly increasing as more fanboy/girls jumped into the bandwagon due to their recent success.

And don't get me started with Chai Biao/Hong Wei pairing. Until mid-2012, I kept thinking Hong would be stuck with Shen Ye for good... and Chai's talent would be wasted with Guo Zhendong :rolleyes:

tl;dr: One could only predict what would happen in the next 2 years. Thus, unless you are some kind of a prophet (or a straight-out blind fanboy), saying things like, "very little chance they could beat them in ??? years" is't quite a good idea.

Important keyword: "Right now". ;)

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh come one be serious. I'm not a fan of China, but you gotta admit that with the exception of 2007/2008 Kido/Setiawan, there hasn't been a really dangerous Indonesian MD since the Gunawan era.
    Of course there's a chance that an Indonesian MD can pull off a surprise victory, but chances for that are slim. I, for one, thought Liu/Qiu had great potential when I saw them playing at the '11 WC, and I think Angga/Pratama have potential as well.
    But given that the Chinese squad always performs well at the tournaments they deem important and seeing how they have strength in depth, not just one or two outstanding players, and can train and spar much better that way, I'm still saying Indonesia's chances of beating them in the next 1 or 2 years are slim.
    "Slim" doesn't mean "non-existent". They might just surprise us all and find a new MD pairing that can repeat Tantowi's burst onto the scene.

13. milky2529

milky2529 Regular Member

This is never ending debate......... :D

14. Felix.

Felix. Regular Member

*coughs*
    HS/AS beat LYD/KHS tamely again last week. And LDK also just lost to Tommy Sugiarto this week. Additionally, GP/NK just beat the Korean #1 pair.

15. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    in addition Ahsan/Hendra beat KSH/LYD three times this year in three finals and twice consecutively in two consecutive finals, and all ended with straight games :cool:

16. chemile

chemile Regular Member

INA already have it, then...no need to wait the next two years....:p
    In addition, Tommy and Hayom have proven that they can beat CHN MS, 1st and 2nd single...if LD still as 3rd single, INA do not need to play 5th game to win TC....

Nothing is impossible.... Jia You Indonesia!!!!!!!!!

17. sari_nov

sari_nov Regular Member

Doctor
    Just ignore them, my friend.

Like quote that i know "Don't let others define what you are capable of. Just show them."
    :D

18. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    INA has done well recently but still need to show it constitently and prove it on the court.