Karakal review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jerby, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Hi All,

The title might've already suggested it (;)) but I'm doing a review on Karakal rackets!
    As a european brand Karakal doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention on the forum, but if you ask me they really are the unsung hero of sports equipment;).

First up: Grips. This is what Karakal seems to be most famous for. I've tried their PU grip. It's pricey at 3,90eur a piece, but it performs great. I really can't think of any other way to say it as "the best grip ever", period :eek:

I also have a set 7.5 point grip, more of a traditional style thin grip. It's a bit short in length but pretty absorbent en very tacky. It kinda reminds me of Wilson X-tack.

Next up: socks
    I ahve the X3 socks, and I must say I'm impressed. I liked the Sotx socks a lot, they remind me of these... But, as far as I can tell, the karakal are thicker, and softer. Great quality.

And then: Bags. The RB35 is a bit small, as expected, best fit as a racketbag for 3-4 rackets and a little bit of extra stuff.
    But the RB110...Oh my god... what a beast.
    [​IMG]
    but a very convenient one. a shoe-compartment, two etxra compartments, a rackeyt compartment, and one huge -HUGE- center compartment. Also comes with a loose polyester-like bag for wet clothes. I love it.

Next up:
    [​IMG]
    I test the Mtec 70 / 75 / 80Tattoo / 85 and the SL 80.:D

#1 jerby, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    good job jerby

i think certain brands get more attention then others and i think its a good idea to have a broad range of reviews....karakal was a brand which i was looking at but never found any info on their newer rackets....will be awaiting anxiousley for your racket review!

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

preliminary review of the rackets:

All rackets are 675mm, G3 gripsize

Mtec70:
    Well, it's advertised as 70gram, but (without my scale) I'd say it feels like a light 4U. it's slightly faster than a 4U at800Def, (even though the 70 is a boxframe)
    It's probably the most headheavy of the bunch, to compensate for the lack of weight :p
    Stifness: it's a tad flexy, slightly more flexibel than my W7. (I'd call it medium-stiff)

Mtec 75
    Slightly heavier than the mtec70, stiff, and just as headheavy. I'd call this a 3U-
    Definatley swings heavier than the at800Def-4U. Again boxframe racket.

Mtec80T
    Well, the paintjob is certainly gorgeous :p, or at least, I think so ;)
    Slightly less headheavy than the 70/75 but a solid 3U in weight. aeroshaped frame, swings about as heavy as my offspec W7...
    oh, and it's a Stiff racket

SL80, almost the same as the mtec80 except it's an oval... a weird lookign one at that..

Mtec 85
    should be heavier than the mtec80, but due to it's even balance (almost headlight) it feels lighter. aeroshaped, stiff.

Now, I should give a disclaimer, I haven't played with em yet, That should come tonight. But even then, don't expect me to give solid ratings (1-10 or something)
    I'll just ramble on a bit, and give you my impressions and tell you if I liked it.
    Because in my opinion, ratings are useless and way to subjective, and hard to pin down exactly :eek:

4. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Hey jerby,
    Have you tried the karakal SL70. I think its what they claim as the world lightest racket.
    I tried the racket, and it doesnt give me much power on my shots, like lobs, pushes, it doesnt have that extra punch. Is it just me or do u feel it as well?:confused::confused:

*But i am also not a very strong player to start off with:( So what i feel might be biased.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Hi sgbad,

Yeah, I just came back from the club. Tested all rackets a bit. yeah, the sl70 is definatley very light, but because it's headheavy it doesn't feel like it... I tested the isometric version, the mtec70.

preliminary reviews
    MTec 70
    Just driving and pushing, defending, halfcourt shots... An amazing racket, very solid and stable, and very fast. It's a comfortable racket, flex is good (not too stiff, not to flexy). But when it comes to smashes and powershots, it just hasn't got that sting.
    I'll be testing it more this week with MP at 28lbs.

Mtec 75
    I liked this one better than the Mtec70, just that extra weight is great. Defense hardly suffers, power is better. A very comfortable allrounder... despite the 75g-lable, it swings like a 3U.
    Again, we'll see with MP at 28lbs...

Mtec 80 Tattoo
    Lookign awesome, swings fine, but can't really get a justified comment on it with the strings being next-to-dead.
    Did play with it though, swingweight was heavier, but less headheavy than the Mtec 75.
    MP@28 and we'll see.

Mtec85
    Not my cup of tea, it's almost headlight, and swings lighter than the 75 / 80.
    It's still a solid racket, and hits fine, but it's not for me...
    Won't be testing more....

SL80
    the oval equivalent of the mtec80, swingweight is good. headheavy / even balanced, stiff-ish.... But the sweetspot is very small, not for me...
    won't be testing it.

So, the mtec70/75/80, which will be my go-to racket? :p

6. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Wow, that M Tec-80 Tattoo looks horrifying. You sure you're going to use that one ;) Your opponents just have to look at it, and they'll run off court! Scattered and scared!

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

So far, either people find it horrifying, or a beauty :p
    I'm guilty of the second.. But then again, I have no taste :eek:

Updated review:
    tested the mtec 70, 75 and 80 with MP@28lbs.

Very solid for a 4U/5U, handled 28lbs just fine... If you're a doublesplayer, and no real powerplayer, this is your racket! light, fast, amazing stuff...just don't expect power.
    For a singlesplayer like me, I need more weight.

Again, solid stuff (almost a karakal trademark), the headheaviness is nice, good power for it's weight.
    I'd say this is one of the best headheavy-allrounders I've ever tested.

80Tattoo
    For me, this rackets suits me best. Good weight, solid feel, and still fast enough (aeroshape rules).
    of all karakals, the mtec80 has the best power, though it's slightly less headheavy than the mtec70.
    I'm sticking with the 80...

All in all, I'm very impressed with the quality of karakals products. Solid, stable rackets, all capable of taking high tensions (even at such light weights).

8. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Sounds sweet :D I forgot you usually use a minimum of 28lbs. right? ;) So the 75 and 80 are 75 grams and 80 grams, or is it just the name?

Well, it's not purely horrifying... but it's just well designed. The colortone and print is well done, just a bit too "flashy".

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, the stock-stuff was like 20lbs, too low for me... if it drops to 25-26, it's still playable...

the Mtec X weighs X grams, but only without strings and without any grip on it...
    So, the mtec70 weighs like 80grams with string and grip...
    the mtec80 feels slighlty heavier than my w7, a tad more headheavy as well.

10. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    does Karakal have an official website?

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

12. awatz

awatz Regular Member

i had the mtec85 before. its a very good racket but its a bit too heavy for me. i sold it and got a mtec80. my defense improved a lot. i have ordered a mtec80tatoo cuz i think it looks great.