long vs short grip. not comfortable with short grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Apr 10, 2013.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hey guys,

im just a recreational club player, and the other day i noticed that im not comfortable with a short grip, in doubles. i feel that i need that extra weight from long grip, in order to feel comfortable and switch grips comfortably.

with the short grip, my hand feels too light, and switching grips for some reason feels weird.

is this normal? because from what im reading around this site and other sites, a short grip is preferred in doubles (rear, front, defense, etc). please do correct me if im wrong.

#1 giant_q_tip, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, that's definitely not good advice.

A short grip is useful in certain situations, as it lets you make quicker movements with the racket (the racket "feels lighter"). It's most commonly used towards the front of the court in doubles, and in defence. It is much less often used in singles.

A short grip is generally a bad idea in the rearcourt. Using a long grip creates a longer lever, which allows you to generate more power for your clears and smashes. Even at the net in doubles, it is sometimes better to use a long grip.

A common problem with advanced juniors (especially boys) is that they start using short grips too much. They use a short grip everywhere. This causes subtle problems in all parts of the court, but especially the rearcourt.

You can read more about this on my grip length page.

Having said all that, a short grip shouldn't really cause difficulties changing to other grips. Maybe it's just an unfamiliar feeling.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Like Gollum said, a short grip is more suitable in situations where fast reaction/swing is needed. Relax your grip when you play and don't fixate too much on what grip you should use. Think of the racquet face as an extension of your palm, and direct all shots with the racquet face. Practice your drives, you will automatically adjust your racquet with less deliberation as you progress.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

For beginner and low intermediate play, just stick to long grip. Usually at those levels, drives and defence are rarely played, so short grip is not required. Additionally, at those levels, the players usually stand side by side most of the time, so a forecourt grip is not needed as much.

#4 visor, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013