Peter Gade's mystery racial comment??

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by logatech, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Sorry I didn't hear anything even remotely close to ''Chinaman'' from Peter Gade's mouth(from that video). I wonder how could you even reach a conclusion that he is being racist here. Apparently he was saying ''one time in a tournament'' which would make more sense if he said ''first time in a tournament''. But knowing that Peter Gade isn't a English native speaker and he bursted that comment out in frustration(not thinking clearly), I can understand how he messed up the ''one'' and ''first''.

I think rather than being sensitive on this ''non-issue''. The citizens of the repulic of China could probably discuss more about Lin Dan doing those unnecessary break dance stunts in Malaysia during this year Thomas Cup in the froum. That will bring more meaning to the forum I think.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

"Solid evidence"?!? Did you even watch the second video: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/u168P2O55xM/ I will let Bbn comment on the use of china vs chinese people;)

"This clip is from the second set of the final of the 2010 swiss open. Peter lost a long rally, got pissed off, slammed his racket to the ground, and got a yellow card. THEN he walked toward the net and asked to change the shuttle, but apparently his opponent ( ChenLong from China) refused. Peter got pissed off again, and said " Well, Chinaman is Chinaman"

Please show us where Chen Long refuses a change of shuttle :rolleyes: And why he is returing to his position from the service judge if not to pick up a new one ...
    Maybe with logatech headphones/speakers the second sounds like chinaman but certainly not the first part, that's just ludicrous.

#22 demolidor, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Strange one this.

Decades ago I had to put up with a lot of racial taunts from losers everywhere in Europe but that was when China was weak.

I would have thought that no sensible person would want to antagonise Chinese people today as China is ranked on par with say US,

Japan or Europe. The latter people because of their success have to put up with a lot of jealousy ,resentment etc etc.just as Chinese people have to

do today,it comes with success.

However such taunts can be expected from the lunatic fringe and losers everywhere, it is difficult to see how Gade falls into this category.

i dont understand the implied difference between China and Chinese, as far as I am concerned, one is only Chinese if one is a China national.

Certainly no one in the forum can ever accuse me of being anti-Chinese in what ever form,that would be like cursing my ancestors.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[video=youtube;-_OhGTLLI_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OhGTLLI_Y[/video]

@ 11-12 sec. "turneringe" @41-42 sec "holdturnering" (which incidentaly happen to mean tournaments and teamtournament respectively) Now compare that to his pronounciation of tournament ;).

#24 demolidor, Oct 16, 2010
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

"So I guess I will post this issue here and want to see what you guys think.
    What did Peter say in this video clip? And what you think about it?
    Courteous discussions are welcome, but no personal attack or political stuff please. "

I think I like to be kept out of this because 1) I am not a China National 2) I dont live in the west currently and dont understand the climate.

I think people ought to be given benefit of the doubt, just as when CJ was accused of cheating, Ld being arrogant etc.

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    what kwun said is true

you hear what you want to hear.

but for peter to say something like chinaman is chinaman?

to me somebody must be joking!

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If one uses "Chinese people" that would imply all ethnic Chinese of different nationalities. China people means well.... the citizens of China. I'm Chinese but not from China - if someone says "Chinese people" then it would imply me too.;)

On the statement issue, like the others I also heard "one time in the tournament", after playing it the 1st, 2nd, 3rd time,4th time...... Doesnt come close to "Chinaman is Chinaman."

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lets move on. Peter is a good guy. Am sure he will apologize if he said those bad words.

What goes around comes around. ;)

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It's definitely tournament. It's nothing like china-man. And "one time in ..." is very clear at the beginning.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Yes we should move one. The reply from the danish federation sums it all up really, they have chinese coaches working for the federation even ...

Wonder why it took 7 months to surface ... ?

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    7 months to surface? lol

if you didn't mention I won't have realized ...

anyway the title of the thread is horrible for a player like Peter,

let's move on guys

12. logatech

logatech Regular Member

haha, just like what I imagined. I will sum up as the following:

1. My Id is logatech, not logitech, for a reason. (some school that I went to)

2. I understand that people probably think that "Peter is a nice guy, and it is not possible for him to say that" without carefully listening to the clip a few times. I urge your to put on your favorite headphone, get the maximum volume, and listen to this video clip of 7 seconds a few times and more carefully.

3. The last word that peter said definitely starts with "ch" and is followed by "i" (as in "like"), nowhere close to "tournament". So it's impossible that Peter was saying "one time in a tournament"

4. The only exception to case 3 is that Peter pronounced "T" as "ch", as someone has already pointed out. Peter speaks English very well, and this is not possible based the followings:

[video=youtube;3yuPCUh-vVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yuPCUh-vVI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

starting from 0:15, Peter said
    “....that made a natural TIME for me to make a decision whether it should be badminton or football.....that's what I like at that TIME....I've been missing the TEAM part......"

Peter pronounced "Time" twice, loud and clear, not "chime" etc. Please compare this to what Peter's pronunciation of "time" in the video clip of "one time in a tournament".

[video=youtube;rlEhrmqHFJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlEhrmqHFJA[/video]

Starting from 02:06, Peter said that “...I also played very good, and suddenly one player came out of nowhere, 吉新鹏, had not won a TOURNAMENT, I think, ever,....."

Starting from 03:20,”...because I think when you look back at these TOURNAMENTS, I deserved to get maybe at least a silver medal....."

Peter pronounced "Tournament" and "Tournament" loud and clearly, not churnament, chinament etc.. Please compare this to what Peter's pronunciation of "Tournament" in the video clip of "one time in a tournament".

Therefore, it is impossible that Peter was saying that "one time in a tournament".

5. the only exception to case 4 is that Peter pronounce "t" as "ch", and pronounce "tournament" as "chinament" during a match. This is not possible in my opinions. I have nothing to say if you think that this is the case.

6. If your opinion is that, after carefully listening to the clip and checking what I said above, I think that Peter said "one time in a tournament". I have nothing more to say. We have known each other's opinions. Move on.

7. Yes, I have watched the clip of longer version. My understanding about change of the shuttle is that, ChenLong did not agree, but the chaired umpire agreed, so the shuttle is changed afterwards.

8. Again, no personal attacking, unrelated story or political stuff. Thanks.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..it's not as clear as the ones Gade mentioned in the other videos, but i think that's the opinion of all the other posters, as well, in this thread. And no, i don't think the posters are Gade's sympathizers either. Really, i don't see anymore reason to discuss or debate on this matter.:cool:

14. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Creating a thread with that kind of statement is very irresponsible. And adding 2 question marks at the end does not change that to a question.You could have choose to word it differently. Maybe "What did Peter Gade say at 1:12 in this video?"
    With internet...it is good and it is bad...AND whatever you put out there it stays forever. All it take is for a few individuals and this thing goes viral. kwun could closed, locked, edit or delete this thread but by now this could have copy & paste elsewhere. AND before you know, Peter Gade will be link with racist remarks. AND possibly reputations will be damaged. All those years of playing and having a reputation build on a foundation being a true sportsman...
    With all that, it would at least give you pause to maybe review again the video with a few friends and MAYBE change that thread's title.
    AND in my opinion what Peter Gade says is " one time in the tournament " I think he was referring to the yellow card he got. Did he ever get a yellow card before? After that particular rally, breathing a bit hard, words can sound differently. If he is referring to the yellow card he could have choose to say "first" instead of "one" but English not being his 1st language and after that frustrating loss of that rally based on a line call....english grammar is not the first thing in his mind.

15. kimmiboy2

kimmiboy2 Regular Member

It must be clear to everyone that logatech's mind is already 100% convinced, and nothing we will say, nor what Peter Gade will say, nor what the Denmark Badminton association will say, can change his opinion.. sure, you're entitled to this opinion, but please don't try and convince everyone else of it - especially when it's such a stretch, and so disrespectful of Peter Gade.

Couldn't agree more with wwcbro... please admin, CLOSE this thread..

#35 kimmiboy2, Oct 16, 2010
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

logatech,

you really should get your ears checked.

in the video you posted, Gade in response to the yellow card, puts up his index finger and says "one tchime in a tchournament".

that's all there is to it.

i'm chinese, speak both mandarin and cantonese, and i'm absolutely embarassed by how you and others in the chinese forum could have thought that Gade said anything else.

and i'm sure there are others on this thread who are chinese who feel the same as me.

17. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Well said. However, I am glad that all the other posters in this thread are cool and not influenced by this hearsay.

I do agree to delete or at least close this thread so that this rumour will not spread any further that it would otherwise. A great player's reputation is at stake and sometime I wish others could be a little more careful and responsible when they create such a thread in the future.

18. logatech

logatech Regular Member

Thanks for you comments.
    I understand that you are worried that this discussion may damage Peter's image. But I guess that the truth is the truth. Peter said what he said at that moment, and what I said about it, or what you said bout it, won't change the fact. I want to know the truth, and I posted my views and how I reached the conclusion that it is impossible that Peter said "one time in a tournament". All I want to say is that Peter did not say "one time in a tournament". In my opinion, he said "well, chinaman is chinaman", but this is my own opinion, and it is quite possible that he said something else. I wasn't trying to convince any of you that Peter was saying "well, chinaman is chinaman", and I was trying to convince you that Peter did not say "one time in a tournament". I hope that you understand my logic, now.

Also I am not accusing Peter of a racist or anything like that. I simply want the truth if possible.

As for your suggestion of closing this thread, I recall that I got involved with the thread of "was ChenJin cheating?", right after he got his first world title. That thread survived, so I guess that the mods should be consistent about these kind of discussions. Thanks.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

hey logatech,

why don't you try and bring this up with a news reporter in chinese media?

i bet you, after watching that video, that the reporter will tell you to get your hearing checked!

he will not even bother reporting this item as he knows that he and his news group would get sued for slander and defamation!

cmon logatech, if English is not your native language, please leave it to us who speak English and know how to interpret English, to help you analyze that video properly!

#39 visor, Oct 16, 2010
  20. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Clam down, visor. the damage has already been done since it has been widespread in the Chinese forum and there's very little you could do to reverse it and to convince a human who have already have his/her mind set and refuse to take in other's opinions. I wonder why he/she even bother to open this thread if he/she already decided what to believe in the first place.

It is a shame that this has happened. But I guess that's life. You meet someone who brighten your life and you meet some who cause you trouble along the way. I guess Peter Gade is just plain unlucky this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.