So who wants to see Taufik not playing?

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by Cheung, Aug 31, 2006.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

:) hehe, well, pardon for "stirring up" this Taufik's HK Open fiasco, as it shouldn't really be a "big discussion"(i'm one of the "biggest contributor" also;:p).
    Side note:Actually, as for myself, i just follow the world of badminton abt 4+ yrs. ago again after a "very long"(i mean real long-time) hiatus from the game...;):D
    yah, i concur with you with the statement highlighted in bold..
    On that note, i've got something to share with you guys:
    Last night i met with a local guy who does linesjudging at the yearly U.S. Open event. I would guess he's around late 50s or early 60s but still quite active in playing. Upon meeting and chatting w/him, i mentioned and asked him if he knew what happened with Taufik @ the HK Open, which he said 'he didn't know abt it'. I then briefed him on what happened, and before i could finish off my story with him on what happened, he started to shake his head in disbelief. He totally agree that the actions was totally unsportsmanlike, quite disrespectful to the opponent and the crowds watching. He brough an example, in the "olden days", if a player toss the shuttle underneath the net, that would be considered very rude/disrespectful. He also added that 'linejudge has the ability to change calls and if player(s) don't like the call, then tough and bad luck; and the player(s) has to go on'.
    Of course, the only other person able to over-rule their calls is the umpire. Which, of course, we've discussed abt repeatedly..;):p

#241 ctjcad, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    We'll see. If ibf does nothing, it proves that the organization is stuffy and very conservative, reason why badminton is in a dulldrum for these past decades. I hope i'm wrong and they show some guts and the badminotn outlook would be promising. Taufik action is a direct challenge to pbsi and ibf integrity. If they do nothing, it says they have very little of the latter. :eek:

Regarding to tossing birdie underneath the net, lol, camilla martin had seen tons of those from her rival chinese gals. What they do is use their racket and push the birdies just inches pass the net boundary, their opponent has to walk up to the net to get the birdie LOL.:p

#242 cooler, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

According to JawaPos website today (05/09/06) reported PBSI will prepare a pleading for INA's ace shuttler TH (following his withdrawal in QF-round HkOpen/06) if TH get sanction from IBF Discipline Commission. PBSI also received an e-mail from Bdm Care Community in HKG that said TH must face hard sanction for his action.So far,TH keep silence about this case. Well, I guess PBSI will not take any punishment with the 'golden boy' although TH is clearly misconduct in that tourney.Why? Because TH is an asset for INA's bdm. Desperate answer, maybe...

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    taufik got provoked by umpire in HK open 2006

i've just read bolanews about taufik's WO

indra or anyone, would mind translating the news below :

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+2]Taufik Protes, Taufik Mundur[/SIZE] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Pertandingan baru berjalan lima poin. Namun, keunggulan 4-1 atas Taufik Hidayat itu itu sudah cukup bagi pemain Cina, Lin Dan, maju ke semifinal Hong Kong Terbuka. Kenapa bisa begitu? [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Partai perempatfinal bintang lima itu berjalan panas. Pada kedudukan 3-1, pukulan bintang Cina itu melebar di kanan lapangan Taufik. Menurut pelatih Mulyo Handoyo, yang duduk di belakang lapangan, jatuhnya kok itu sekitar 10 cm di luar garis putih. Penjaga garis pun membuka tangan yang berarti bola keluar. Lin Dan pun dari gerak tubuh menyadari bahwa pukulannya melebar. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Saat Taufik bersiap hendak melakukan servis, wasit menyebut angka untuk Lin Dan. Pasalnya sang penjaga garis kemudian meralat bahwa pukulan Lin Dan masuk. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Taufik protes ke wasit. Pertandingan pun terhenti sekitar 10 menit. Bahkan, dia kemudian mengusulkan kepada referee agar diulang pada kedudukan 3-1. Artinya, tak ada yang diuntungkan dan dirugikan dengan keputusan penjaga garis yang tidak tegas ini. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Namun, referee turnamen bersikukuh kedudukan tetap 4-1. Bahkan, dia menyebut kalau Taufik tidak mau menerima keputusan itu, ya WO saja. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]“Taufik kok ditantang. Ya, dia kemudian memilih WO dengan mengemasi raket dan menyalami Lin Dan,” tutur Mulyo. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Taufik sendiri, hingga Minggu (3/9) malam, tidak bisa dihubungi. Dia tidak mau mengangkat telepon selulernya. Hanya teman yang mengaku bernama Christian yang mau mengangkat. “Taufik sedang ada acara. Silakan telepon lagi,” tuturnya[/SIZE][/FONT]

5. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    Ok, I m trying to translate, but may not be that perfect.... :D

---------
    When the point was 3-1 for LD, LD's shot out abt 10cm at the right-hand side of TH. The linelady open her arms to indicate the shot was out.
    LD - from his body language - also shown 'agree' with that judgement.

And then when TH was going to serve, the umpire said point was given to LD (4-1) because the linelady had changed her judgement. TH protested to umpire and the game was stopped abt 10 min.
    TH also suggested to umpire to revert back the game to point 3-1 and continue again...
    but umpire refused that suggestion and told TH to accept as it is and said if TH won't accept TH is 'suggested' to WO.

TH's coach (Mulyo) said: "When TH was 'provoked' by the umpire to WO, of course TH would do that. And he did!"

#245 newjazz, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  6. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Interesting... Was it actually in or out?

Should we trust 2 trusted BC members or TH?

I guess we will never know :(

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

10 cm though, hmmm, that's 4 inches!
    i'm not saying whether what taufik's coach claims is true, but i'm sure that if the shuttle was out by up to 4 inches, the umpire would have been able to see it quite clearly ...

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it would be nice to hear the umpire and linejudge sides of the story as well.

9. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i just saw KJ's game with LD and the call was very close, could have gone either way in my opinion but it really affected him for the next 5 points. otherwise, it would have been a KJ vs LCW final for sure!

10. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    can share the file? i haven't seen that match... thx

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks for the news and not surprised abt it..

well, well, what do you know..Rather than disciplining his actions, which is the correct way to go, they(PBSI) are going to plead his case??..Way to go, and way to give an example to their younger players..Another funny thing i no ticed is what i've highlighted in bold(ie. Taufik keeping quiet??why can't he offer a simple apology for his actions??).:confused: :rolleyes: :p

#251 ctjcad, Sep 5, 2006
  12. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

PSBI is supporting their star player! What else could they do? They really need instant replay for badminton now.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So the drama continues...very interesting..

it's interesting indeed, esp. after reading this article..for some reason, there was a bit more to the story, of course Cheung and red00ecstrat can only see and not hear the entire conversation(between the parties involved)..:p
    I'll provide another translation below, if you guys won't mind..:p

#253 ctjcad, Sep 5, 2006
  14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's already being shared on the badminton video sharing forum. have a look in there.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Taufik protested & Taufik withdrew
    The match had just began 5 points in. But his 4-1 lead over Taufik Hidayat was enough for the CHN player, Lin Dan, to advance to the semifinal of the Hong Kong Open. Why did that happen??
    The 1st set of the quarterfinal was hotly contested. With the score at 3-1, a shot delivered by the CHN star went wide right of Taufik's court. According to coach Mulyo Handoyo, who sat behind the court, the shuttle landed 10cm(abt 4 inches) outside of the white line. The linejudge also opened her hands signaling that the shuttle has landed out. Even Lin Dan's body language indicated that his shot had gone wide.
    When Taufik was about to serve, the umpire said the point was for Lin Dan. Apparently the linejudge had corrected the call and that Lin Dan's shot was called in.
    Taufik then protested to the umpire. The match had to be stopped for 10 minutes. He even requested to the tournament's referee to re-start the count at 3-1. Which meant, there was no advantage nor disadvantage with the linejudge's decision which wasn't firm.
    However, the tournament referee kept the decision and score at 4-1. He even mentioned that if Taufik did not accept this decision, he could just do a WO(walk-over).
    "Why was Taufik challenged? Yes, he then chose to WO while he clenched his racket and shook Lin Dan's hand", said Mulyo.
    Taufik himself, until Sunday (Sep. 3rd) night, couldn't be contacted. He didn't want to pick up his cell phone. Rather only a friend of his, named Christian, who will pick up the phone. "Taufik is in the middle of something. Please call back", he said.

Anyways, for those of you guys who have watched the video, i'm sure you guys will have your say.;)

#255 ctjcad, Sep 5, 2006
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

4 inches

somebody is lying or the linelady is totally blind.:D

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Badminton has always been ruled & played like this...until this incident..

I understand they are trying to "support" their player, esp. their star player..However, IMO, "supporting" him by allowing what he did which was unsportsmanlike and disrespectful, is not supporting??..Don't PBSI feel embarrassed by what happened?? What will the younger players think and feel abt this action/non-action by PBSI??Not even a disciplinary action??..If that's the case, it seemed like PBSI "fear" any backlash to them(which is quite sad). Then do you wonder who is really in charge of PBSI?? Is it Taufik or the PBSI brass. So what if Taufik gets upset and threatens to leave PBSI?? Let him leave and go play somewhere else.
    Perhaps maybe that's what's lacking all these yrs. with PBSI. Maybe that's why the quality and level of PBSI badminton has gone down in recent yrs??..And most importantly, where's the integrity and respect for the game??..
    I thought badminton(well, all sporting games) was a sport of "sportsmanship, respect and integrity"??..Don't the words sport and sportsmanship relate to each other??..:confused: :rolleyes: ;)

#257 ctjcad, Sep 5, 2006
  18. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

In any case, it seems there were many protests from players at HO, even nice guy like LCW reacted the way I never seen before and LD did the same at the finals. I have to say this is not purely coincidence,...the tournament was simply badly made in HK. Badminton being the fastest racquet sports, still using the most traditional approach in line judging, isn't time for IBF to make a change???

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

sorry, do you mind guiding me to the link??..is it this one:
    Hong_Kong_Open_2006_-_MS_QF_-_Lin_Dan_Vs._Kenneth_Jonassen.rmvb ??..
    If so, then title must've confused me as QF should've been LD vs. Taufik and SF should've been LD vs. KJ...:confused: ;)

20. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Wow, I wonder what IBF going to do now, still keep their mouth shut or announce something soon. This article is directly challenging the umpire of the match. If it's true, I don't think it's fair for the umpire to tell TH to WO. Until I heard the audio recording, I don't think any umpire would say such thing to a player, especially when there is a conflict.

HK Open is very interesting. Definitely going to fly over to watch one day. :D