Switching Armortec 900T

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by billbobfrd, Oct 26, 2008.

1. billbobfrd

billbobfrd Regular Member

Should i switch from 4U armortec 900T to 3U?

Would it be better overall or what certain aspects would be better

The reason for this is that when I use my 3u Armortec 900P i get a lot more power overall but I want more power and control for my Armortec 900T because i like having power but the 900P gives me no control

#1 billbobfrd, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You're not gonna like this... but it's NOT the racquet that's lacking control.
    It's just you :)

The Armortec 900P is used by a great many top players... and it's difficult to accept that Lee Chong Wei or Lee Hyun-Il lack control.

Play with a bit more care, a bit more caution and a gentler grip at the moment of impact... and perhaps you will revise your argument :)

3. billbobfrd

The thing is i like the feel if my armortec 900T better and i was wondering if i could keep the control/defense and add more power

4. billbobfrd

I reposted this in the Racket forum

Delete please

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

That duplicate thread has been deleted :)

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

There's a lot of information, including comparisons, posted by other members on the Armortec 900 Technique and Power models. You would be better off going through those threads in this sub-forum.

In brief, the AT-900P has a heavier head compared to the AT-900T.
    This doesn't mean that the Technique lacks power.
    Until just a few weeks ago, Taufik Hidayat was the Technique's champion.
    I don't think anyone would suggest that his smashes lack power ;)

It all boils down to this: the racquet is only as good as its wielder :)

7. billbobfrd

Ok but i was still wondering if there is a big difference between the 3u armortec 900T and the 4u, because i wanted to know if the 3U has generally more power than the 4U

8. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It sounds like you're going to buy a new racquet anyways... why not just get a 3U AT900P? There are many threads already with reviews that no matter what, AT900P has more Power, and the AT900T has more speed!

But for your question, a 3U At900T "might" have more power than a 4U, but then again it's up to the user's preference and the only way for sure to find out is if you try one out. If you want to be safe, get the power since you've already tried it and liked it.

9. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

OK i have both 4u and 3u AT900T's.

The 3u is definately more powerful... but overall feel is similar.... of course it's a tad slower than the 4u but yeah... better to defend with than the 4u AT900P

It might be what you want in a racket...

10. calvino

calvino Regular Member

radiographer
    i switched from a 3u technique to a 4u and i love it and have never looked back. i like to defend late and change direction of the shuttle very late and so it suits me well. personally i felt that i was able to get more overhead power with a 4u cos i can swing it faster with a more pronounced wrist snap but that's contrary to what everyone here says, so each to their own.

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The 4U is too fragile, therefore it's better to avoid it. Yes you can swing faster but overall the power is weaker than using a 3U if assuming you did the exact same swing on the 4U. If it's an adapting issue, then it's more of a technique issue with the player that is using the racket.

I used to use a 4U racket myself in the Swing Power 900 series.

3U is definately the way to go.

12. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I agree with Matt with the fragile part. 4U Armortec racquets tend to be more fragile and you should avoid them. I've not used a 4U AT900P (I use 3U) so I can't give you a comparison but I can defend pretty well with the 3U 900P so I can't complain. In my opinion, you need to give yourself some time to adapt before you make the decision to change to 3U or different racquet for that matter.

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just to add on top of that. The 4U's of the 800 (could be applicable to the 900) is that they had a tendency to overswing. The 3Us did not have this problem.

14. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    One thing you had not mention is the string tension on both racquets. I did the exact switch from a 4U 900T to a 3U 900P sometime ago, but before the switch, I had played with different tensions on the 900T, what I find is a 4lb difference (BG80) between the 2 racquets makes them yield the same level of power. In my case was 22lb on 4U 900T have similar power to 26lb on 3U 900P. I end up making the switch because I like the balance of 900P more.

My suggestion is to try different tension on your 4U 900T before making the next racquet purchase, you may be suprised.

Ted

15. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

My 4u AT900T has been in plenty of clashes and it's surviving well... it's not that fragile...

I personally prefer the 4u because it's so good for defence and I can generate more than enough power when required (even from bg 65's)... It's my first choice racket. If yo'ure lacking power try bg 80's on it and see how they go...

16. billbobfrd

Yea mabye ill just try different strings because BG 65 doesnt get much power

17. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Badminton in Silicon Valley

I have used both 3U AT900P and AT900T and also a 4U AT900T, all G5 @25lbs.

But I have to agree with you, 4U is a faster racquet to wield. Like previous ppl say, you can opt for 4UAT900P.

I have to say, there is not much to choose between 3U AT900T and P, marginal differences. AT900T and P are almost an identical racquet, with tiny/minor/subtle differences. Both are head heavy and stiff.

The way I see it. AT900P is slightly easier to wield for full swing overhead strokes like clear & smash. AT900T is slightly easier to wield for underhand/wristy strokes. The rest of the story is Yonex marketing and hype.

18. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Feel it, test it, customize it, decide it, then buy it. No use if you buy a racquet that you can't bring out its power.

19. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Regular Member

Student
    They only sell 4U in the UK..... :(

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yeah its' the GM of Yonex UK who decided that. You will need to purchase overseas for the 3U.