How often do you...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by assault38, Sep 23, 2003.

1. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Since grip seems to be on the topic lately, I thought I'd ask my own questions regarding grip:

1) How often do you change your grip?

-Of course this depends on the kind of grip...so be detailed in your response. If you use a tacky grip, do you change it after its lost its initial tacky feel, even if its still a little tacky? Or do you wait till it's all ripped up, discolored, and nasty?

- If you use a towel grip, do you wash it or replace it after it starts to fuzz out?

-Or are you the sort of person that experiments w/ grips and changes every so often even if the previous grip is still good?

Lately I've been in an experimental mode, where I've been testing out various grips, even tennis grips. Lately I've tried a Wilson H2Overgrip. It isn't very tacky at first, but it actually gets tackier the more your hand sweats. Anyone else tried this?

Well, throw in your 2 cents,

2. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

I doubt that there's going to be much consensus, but anyway...

Sometime in late August I changed my old Karakal PU Super grip for a WhataGrip. The old grip had been on since Christmas, used ~2 hours a week until June, and ~4hours a week since. Although the tackiness was virtually non-existent, I still had no problems during play - the grip still dealt well with my sweaty hands. I changed it mainly because after 8 months it looked rather less than pristine, ie you could see the shape of my hand where it had discoloured.
    Last week I replaced the WhataGrip with a new Karakal PU Super. The WhataGrip was great for the first couple of weeks, but died rather suddenly - it seemed to go from tacky to slimy during the course of one set, and no amount of wiping it done with a cloth seemed to help.

So, somewhere between 3 weeks and 8 months.

3. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

lol, u were able to use a karakal pu grip that long? i usually replace mine after a month or two of regular weekly use. Tho i don't use it till it's threadbare, i like to replace them after they have started to stiffen up, and start to slip. Essentially, I stick to karakal pu grips and yonex graps, depending on the racquet i'm gripping. prince are nice thick grips if those are wut u require.

4. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

Re: ...

I'd consider 2 months to be a fairly sane figure for most grips that I've used. But the Karakal seems to like me. Does anyone have a cheap US source for them?

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    I get the wilson ones which are nice and tacky, and easy to hold, i havent changed it yet, but i will when it becomes slippery. The tackyness helps me to get a good grip on the racquet, without tensing my entire hand.