Why can't badminton be as rewarding as Tennis

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CHC7576, Aug 30, 2008.

1. CHC7576

CHC7576 Regular Member

Property Development
    Malaysian reward system is very dependent on the politicians who take care of the game. The announcement of Rm 1 million for a gold medal from the Olympic Game is one example. The patron of badminton is the wife of our deputy prime minister who announced the reward prior to the start of the Beijing Games. At least the bench mark is set but is it for all future Olympic Games? Who knows?
    Different country rewards sportsmen differently and China certainly is more generous these days with its new found wealths. Today's badminton players are all full time and can be classified as professionals who would have endorsements to see them through. However, all sponsorships are controlled by the associations which take large cut from the players. You wonder how playing sports in our country can make you rich. Let's hope the rewarding system in China will make a difference to the rest of Asia.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    As a matter of fact Chinese gold medallist get less money from their government than other countries, including Malaysia.
    One million ringgit can pay 8 Chinese gold medallists, which means Malaysian government's incentive offer is 8 times higher than China's. Lin Dan and other Chinese sportsmen get the bulk of their earnings from corporate sponsors, not from government. Lin Dan is offered Yuan 1 to 2 million sponsorship by many Chinese companies. He should get a business manager, who probably can multiply his endorsement earnings at least ten fold. It actually is a sad state of affair of a country for only the government to offer rewards to a national sporting hero.
    Tell me, would any Malaysian or international company seek out Lee Chong Wei and offer to hand him cartloads of money in exchange for endorsing a product here and a service there?

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Go to Malaysia and you'll see billboards of LCW and KKK/TBH endorsing a certain brand. I was surprised and delighted to know that they have reached star status to attract endorsements.I saw LCW's billboard during ABC in JB and KKK/TBH's in Pontian in the state of Johore (just across Spore)I don't know how extensive the deal is but I wonder if Nicol David or any other sports stars also have a similar deal. But it does indicate that badminton in Malaysia enjoys exceptional status because of LCW and KKK/TBH's international achievements.Maybe someone in Malaysia can verify whether this is the first time badminton stars has such commercial value.
    But of course, how can LCW be compared with LD in this way? Malaysia has a population of 40? million while China has more than 1 billion? It's an expression of the market size they live in.How would you compare Maria Sharapova's endorsements with LD's? LD's is basically CHN but Sharapova's appeal is worldwide.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is new and is good news. LCW should hire a manager and set a target for the manager to sign up with 12 new sponsors within a year, at Ringgit$200,000 per year per sponsor. That will get LCW a gross income of Ringgit 2.4 million for one year, out of which he can afford to pay his manager 10 % of the gross proceeds for the first 10 sponsors plus 25% of the gross proceeds for the next 2 sponsors. A good manager is worth his weight in gold.

5. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Good topic

The prize money for Badminton from big tournaments is the same as Ten years ago. Just look at AE, the prize is so small is peanut comparing to Wimbledon. In UK far more people play Badminton than Tennis, which is considered a rich man’s sport. The problem is that due western countries perception of badminton a minor sport and the domination of Asian players in the world, it does not encourage big prize money.

You need an English or American Badminton superstar, equivalent Lin Dan, to give a big push on TV popularity. Not many young people in Europe are taking up Badminton professionally, as there is no money in the sport. It’s just sad that Badminton has far less prize money and sponsorship than Tennis but much more rewarding to play than Tennis.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    just yesterday, I saw Yip Pui Yin endorsing Manulife (insurance company). Her picture was on a minibus advertisment. She is quite popular for advertisements here in HK.

With the current financial crisis, I can't see North America developing much in terms of economic rewards in badminton.

I think we have to look towards Asia, Russia and Europe (particularly East Europe) and the Middle East for financial development.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    If only more private companies/enterprises are to contribute, Badminton could be BIG

Agree ... Particularly, we need more private companies/enterprises to fund Badminton.

Currently, most funds given to National Associations come from governments. If only more private companies/enterprises are to contribute, Badminton could be just as rewarding as Tennis.

BWF has been trying to attract more sponsors. They have made a few changes to attract sponsors, like changing the scoring system to become more television-friendly, to organise more tournaments in different countries, etc ...

But somehow, many of us players are reluctant to allow our Badminton to become popular. Perhaps, currently with fewer venues for us to play at, some of us do not want to bring in more players.

I have also mentioned before that we, Badminton players, should introduce our sport to as many new comers as possible. In Australia, this is happening at a very slow pace.

Many Badminton clubs/groups are only interested in players who are experienced in our game. Therefore, new comers sometimes find it hard to get to fit in.

#27 chris-ccc, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  8. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

[​IMG]

that's why haha

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Where is the Badminton racket and/or shuttlecock in this photo ?

:D:D:D Where is her Badminton racket and/or shuttlecock in this photo? :D:D:D

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    without as much audience and sponsorships, that is why tennis is more well known. for the 2008 olympics, there wasn't a single game of badminton nor pingpong covered here in the US....sucks!

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To speak out against keeping Badminton as an exclusive game

It is also up to us, as Badminton players at our club level, to speak out against keeping Badminton as an exclusive game: click here

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    since u afraid to say it, let me insert the key word that u avoided.
    yourbestfriend had said it in picture form.

13. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Have everyone notice the difference in the size of the ground the game is played too? F1, soccer, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball are all play with a much bigger ground. Games like table tennis,squash also do not get that much attention.

14. lim823

lim823 Regular Member

lindan01.jpg
    taken from "MyBadmin"

:rolleyes: LD is getting into it like sha...
    hehe...

15. CHC7576

CHC7576 Regular Member

Property Development

CHINA WILL BE THE BEST BET IN PROMOTING BADMINTON. CAN'T EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM RUSSIA AND EAST EUROPE COS THESE COUNTRIES HARDLY PARTICIPATE IN THE SPORT. WITH CHINA'S WEALTH AND THE CURRENT CROP OF PLAYERS, IT WILL BE EASY FOR HER TO PUSH. DO A PING PONG DIPLOMACY ROUND BUT WITH CHINA SPONSOR BEHIND, WILL CERTAINLY HELP.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Most sports doing well currently are sponsored by non-governmental bodies

CHC7576 ... Are we talking about the Chinese government to promote our Badminton? :confused::confused::confused:

Most sports doing well currently are not sponsored by governments, but by independent/commercial companies.

:):):)

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Well..^^

..i think before they do that, they need to promote the sport in their own country first. I mean, every time i watched one of those livestreams (in the middle of the night) all i could see were soccer/football matches, basketball games, racing tournaments, tennis matches, even golf tournaments, essentially all non-badminton sports being prioritized over badminton...if not being prioritized, for sure they have more of those sports shown..:confused: [​IMG]

18. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

Honestly I think Badminton will not be as big as tennis worldwide due to the popularity of the game.. However I think that it can grow bigger and it can have a higher payouts if we improve a few areas of the game.

1. We need to grow the viewership in Asia.. To do so, we need to market it like how the NBA, Tennis is markets overseas.. We need to come out of the comfort shell of WBF and start promoting it..

2. Get a global brand to be part of the sport.. if I were in the Malaysian coaching staff or even Chong Wei's Manager.. I'll speak to Nike and sell them the idea of moving into badminton as there is a huge market in Asia.. When we get such brands into the sport, automatically the badminton brand will reach another level.

3. More media coverage needed or get a badminton show for fans.. In Malaysia, besides the live games in the semi's and finals, we do not get coverage.. and thank goodness for you guys and you tube we'll get to view some videos online. THE OFFICIAL BADMINTON WEBSITE IS NOT EVEN USER FRIEND AND NOT WEB 2.0!

Oh well I believe if BWF or even BAM happen to be reading this.. do give me a buzz and I would love to help you out there... By the way I run a blog whereby I have a few former Malaysia & state players write about badminton and shuttletalks... do come by for a visit

http://smashingmark.wordpress.com or http://smashingmark.blogspot.com

Ciao
    Mark

19. romizone

romizone Regular Member

Profesional Player
    Sell his/her body for money ......

Exploitation for human body.
    Morally i disagree ..:D:D:D

20. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Tennis presentation on tv is top notch

Badminton's presentation on tv is horrible

could you imagine if they played tennis in a track and feild area? thats the impression I get with badminton in these massive stadiums - no atmosphere