How do you inprove relationship between with our partner

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by icandoall, Feb 27, 2003.

1. icandoall

icandoall Regular Member

Guitarist....
    I have been playing doubles for about 4 games..
    We still managed to will all of them but
    I think we still need some more closer relations...
    Like for instance mixed doubles, what do u have
    to say to your partner????
    Please give me some tips of whether how to improve the
    relationship.....

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Build relationship not only on court, but also off court. Say, maybe have a dinner together once a while or not. If u decide to stay with this partner for at least a period of time, "trust" is the most important.

2. If u r the more experienced one, try to always share some little tips with ur parnter.

3. If s/he is the more experienced one, try not to be shy to ask for some hint.

4. When problem occurs (say, lost a close game), try not to be too harsh on each other.

5. Try to develop the "style" and "formation" between 2 ppl, but not just hitting around and only being able to win easy games.

6. If it's ur mix partner, stay away from her bf... :D

3. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    Wut happens is ur partner keeps on being harsh to u for every shot when s/he's made more unforced errors than u??

4. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    Be fair and supportive. Try to learn how to understand you opponents weaknesses and exploit them together. Be honest about your own weaknesses individually and as a team. If that doesn't work buy more beer and enjoy the journey.

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Doubles:
    1. Play together more often
    2. Find out how to "push ur partner to the extreme" I've had partners that do better when u yell at him for every bad shot he plays, and partners that play better when you confirm that it was a "not so bad" an error
    3. Discuss with your partner who takes which shots on the courts etc etc
    4. Get to know your partner's style well!! If all he can do is smash and drop from the back(fairly well) try to compensate his play and play tighter net, give him/her chances to kill the bird(if he/she's got endless nrg)

Mixed (Assuming from the Stronger Male's point of view):D
    Situation A Play regular doubles if your partner is almost as good as you (or even better) In this case, refer to doubles section :D
    Situation B: If your partner is distinctively weaker than you, play the whole game front and back.
    In situation B:
    1. Settle who's going to get shots that are going to the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position
    2. Workout the serve pattern (have the lady always on one side of you or on alternate sides)
    3. What happens when a bird is cleared? Should the lady back up or step forward slightly and duck under the net to make sure she doesn't get hit by the bird?
    4. Should the lady move back to help the guy if he's in trouble? or should she still stay up front to wait for kills?

In this case, the Male should work on precise placements of dropshots and smashes. If the opposition is playing front and back as well, have a few flat/hard smashes that almost skim the net, it'll come in handy once in a while. The Female will have to concentrate on low tight net shots, and high deep clears to ONE CORNER of the back court, to decrease the workload of the male (I mean... gotta giv the guy some credit! running back and forth in the back isn't easy!! and with hard smashes needed, he'll be pretty worn out!)

This only works in highschool play however, anything that goes beyond highschool skill levels will be strictly doubles, even in mixed games

Hope this helps! Cheers! :D

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would definately not advise this tactic. You will gain a reputation for being unpleasant to play with and may find yourself ostracised. At worst, you might find your partner trying to do some plastic surgery with his racquet on yourself.:mad:

You may also destroy a persons self esteem and enjoyment of the game if they are already doing their best. I personally think it is a very immature tactic and shows disrespect for your partner.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Cheung, I dun mean it in that way -.-" fine... maybe I should revise this... ONLY WHEN YOUR PARTNER IS SOMEONE WHO U KNOW WELL AND KNOW YOU WELL!(on n off court) ALSO THIS SHOULD BE AGREED UPON BEFORE EXERCISED :D

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How well can you know the partner if you've only played four games together(as in the original post)?? You lost sight of the original question in your first answer if you claim "ONLY WHEN YOUR PARTNER IS SOMEONE WHO U KNOW WELL"

Although the person might be your friend off court, once you do this yelling stuff, I'm pretty sure there is going to be some avoidance behaviour.

In anyhow, your reply doesn't change my opinion. Even if you did know your partner well, I still think it is immature and just shows a lack of 'class' in a doubles game and the player doing the shouting...

Sorry if this comes over bluntly. It's my own opinion.:(

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's why a carefully thought out answer will impress more...as well as not being open to misinterpretation;) ;)

10. Gryp

Gryp Regular Member

I thought playing mixed doubles with your gf would be easy to get along. Unfortunately in the past I got a bit too competitive.

I've now learned to be a lot more understanding. Plus.. if you play enough with your partner.. analyze your partner's strengths and weaknesses. Use the strengths to your advantage! Cover her weaknesses.. if that means changing formation or positioning a bit.. make sure you have gone over all this when the 2 of you practice.

Can't wait to see my gf again when I get back to Vancouver monday nite.. w00t.. Can't wait to play with her either :D

Okay okay.. not really my gf.. complicated situation.. but everyone else thinks we're still going out.. hah.. damn.. Love.. why do women have to be so difficult.. love me.. but don't want to go out for now?

ANYWAYS, back to topic. Yes.. you want to win.. but TRY NOT to be too hard.. be VERY VERY gentle when you're giving tips. Definitely watch your attitude or tone of voice when giving hints DURING a game. With all the adrenaline.. hints sometimes don't come out as nicely as you think you're giving them during a game.

Practice .. can't stress that enough. :p

And JUST remember!!!!!!!!!! Girls are emotional and sensitive human beings. Well some more than others.. but the point is.. hints that may seem logical to males.. turn up as being offensive. Just hope your partner is not too sensitive... or giving hints will be.. uhh rough :p

Like my gf/whateveryouwannacallthiskindofrelationship partner... she sometimes can get a bit too defensive.. @@

Good luck! It's never this easy anyways.. building a relationship in or outside the court is well.. usually complex..

11. icandoall

icandoall Regular Member

Guitarist....
    Thansk,..

But when you are playing mixed doubles with person
    you are not that close with..
    What should I do..
    And plus when I smash, it is pretty hard (i think)
    and I dont know why but I kept on whipping at the guy
    because When I smash I feel like it is kind of cheap to
    smash at gurl.. (Anyhow I still managed to win)
    but coach kept on telling me to whip it at the gurl
    because I will have a easy game...
    What should I do/???

12. eggroll

eggroll Regular Member

sales
    As most of you know I'm relatively new to the game but isn't hitting at the girl accepted as a tactic in the mixed game? If you step on court and are weaker male or female you're going to see allot of action aren't you?

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Yes that's true, but when ur playing front back with the female up front, even when she's the stronger of the two, there's still a tendoncy to hit at her

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmmm, have a social life with them outside of badminton and play lots of badminton (Games and drills). Doing that and you should really get to know them better e.g. How they play, what do they need to work on, what strenghts do they have etc.

15. Gryp

Gryp Regular Member

I hope you didn't disregard my post just cuz i'm closer with my partner...

Most of the points are true with other girls.. no matter how close you are.. hell.. you can even apply them to your love life if you want.. the point was to try not to be aggressive.. or you won't get far in practices or games ;p

Kindness and gentlemanliness goes a long way ;p On court or off ;p

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe "trust" and "respect" between partners are the most important issues. If it appears to be extremly different to work together with this guy/girl. Well, maybe it's the time to get another partner.

This applies to ppl who consistently pick on their partners, regardless whether s/he is the better one within the group or not.

17. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Time to change partners :D :D

Seriously, if it is going to be a partnership that will succeed, you guys need to communicate more and openly (i.e be open-minded during the discussion) and focus only on the situations not the person (i.e. no personal insults/attack like "Well, you ask me not to play defensive by lifting all the time but yet you do it all the time", etc.)

The idea here is to complement each others' skills and also to respect each other knowing that there will be mistakes made and be supportive.

18. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

My personal advice

What i will say is you must TRUST and BELIEVE IN your partner. If u know as a partner that the other one believe in you, you will believe in yourself and play better than u thought u can.

Of course, it is easier to blame ur partner on being responsible for a lost point than to congratulate him/her on a won point. Take criticism constructively.

Calm down ur partner if he/she becomes nervous.

Discuss with ur partner after a lost march / won match what went wrong or good
    and also on how to improve and avoid making same mistakes again.

I always tell my friend when playing with him if he hits a high half-court clear, we should split into defensive side-side position. But he always position in front of the net as if we were attacking :p He never listen/trust me in this, how can we win in this case?

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I can't agree more with Cheung.

I was on the receiving end during a tournament a year ago. I knew this guy only for a short period but nevertheless we paired up for the competition. During our first match, we did well by winning the first game convincinlgly. Then my partner started rattling me by such remarks as "why do you still hit when the shuttle is out"; why don't you smash the bird", etc.

I have to stop his nonsense by telling him not to distract and irritate me with his unhelpful remarks. I told him that if the bird is going out, let me know before I hit it. Anyway, even the best players in the world are sometimes bothered by line judgements and lost valuable points. As for smashing the bird, definitely I will do it if I am in a good position to do do. This guy must have been in the habit of giving his nonsense to his partners as he did not turn up for the next match and did not have the courtesy to inform me or the convenor.

Then, just last Sunday, while playing against me and my partner, this same guy started his nonsense again by telling off his "weaker" partner, trying to teach him how to play when the game is in progress and making a snide remark "are you playing for the other side". This really hurt his partner who told him off and left the court immediately. He never dared to pass such comments on me again when I partnered him fpr subsequent matches after our last encounter.

So, never take your partner for granted and hurt his self respect and emotions on the badminton court. Do discuss your skills and tactics in a more helpful manner and at the appropriate time. Only you and your partner will find out when will be the most opportune moment. I think LB's suggestions are most helpful.

#19 Loh, Sep 30, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  20. CH3WY BOI

CH3WY BOI Regular Member

student
    I agree with the rest of you who said "build the relationship off the court as well as on the court". I always play doubles with my friend who also goes to the same school as me. We are good friends and we also train together.

It is SO important during a doubles match not to get mad at your partner and to encourage them as much as possible..for example...when they make a mistake I always say "dont worry..dont worry" or if my partner makes a good smash i say "good shot!". It is also a good idea for doubles to get you and your partner "pumped" before a match (only if your serious about winning...but I guess it would be a different case if you were partnering a girl)