training for stamina for singles match

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kooshball, Dec 18, 2008.

1. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

i play singles recreationally with couple of the guys at the club. I have noticed that during my first game, my form is good. after i lift, i'm very prepared and focused. my weight is focused on the front of my foot, and some times i can do a successful split drop (need practice but a separate issue) overall, i'm faster and i can win the first game. most of the points i lose will be mishits. i will not lose many points because i can't get a drop shot.

however, even after say a long break, or playing couple games of non-
    intense doubles, my 2nd singles game will not be nearly as good. my form is no longer super ready, and i find it hard to focus enough to keep me from just standing there waiting for the bird. split drop is non existent. a sudden drop shot is dangerous since i'm slow to start.

my question is, what kind of training do i need to do to have better stamina for the 2nd and 3rd games?
    at this point, i can maybe (hopefully able to) force myself to run a 7:30 mile which is not very fast. at a pace of 8:30 miles, i can maybe run 2 miles.

should i run more?
    if i play on wednesday and sunday, should i run on thusday and monday?
    should i try to get a better half-mile/mile time or should i try to focus on long distance running like a 5k or something? (i used to be able to run a 10k in around 50-55 5 years ago)
    interval runs?
    hills?

thanks!

#1 kooshball, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. mazinkaiser

mazinkaiser Regular Member

Network Consulting Engineer
    I used to be like you, probably even worse in terms of stamina. Now, I can play 3 hours of singles match straight without a problem. What has changed? its jogging. I now run 10K in around 50 min outside (in moderate hills, no treadmills) and I do this 10K run everyday except the days I play badminton. You will find out your footwork is a lot better, you will be faster and you will not get tired. Even if you are a bit out of breath during singles game, you can recover a lot faster (you can recover even between serves) because your heart is stronger and more efficient. The hard part is to keep up the 10K run 3-4 times a week.

3. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    When you have a minute do 5 2 minute sets of shadowing. Take a one minute break between each one. This should improve your stamina and your footwork. It's boring but it works

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Damn your stamina is pretty godly 3 hours straight.... if the singles game is intense I can probably do max one hour straight without rest.

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    OMG!!! I have the same problem. I rarely play singles because I can only last one set. I have no time to do lots of cardio because of the demands of my work schedule. When I was younger, getting exhausted is no biggie for me because I had great stamina then. And when I started smoking, every ounce of strenght I had to last a game went away. Realizing that, I quit. Now, I only smoke occasionally, which is already a big leap as I used to smoke half a case a day. I'm still trying my best to stop smoking 100%.

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    you could try intervals training perhaps...like sprint 30s run 60s for about 3k-4k, then take a rest and later in the day repeat again...

For me i also meet many opponents with far greater stamina than me, but for 21 pt system it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you feel that you're unable to regain composure, just use delaying tactics...change shuttle, take a long stroll after each rally, clean off sweat on the floor with your shoe etc. And take the 11 point interval.
    With all these it's still possible to beat an opponent with better stamina.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congratulations to you for your gallant attempt.
    Do try to stop entirely. You can save yourself from more problems later in life and now you can enjoy more, like having more stamina for badminton. :)

8. davidluu

davidluu New Member

student
    hm i don't think jogging will improve your single's game by a lot. i mean it does help and but in singles, you are sprinting and lunging..so i believe that maybe you should find a hill and sprint up the hill walk back down and repeat and for the lunges try finding a track field and do lunges on the field until ur done with like a lap for starters. remember to rest so your body won't be sore and dead so maybe mondays thursdays fridays? ahah

9. Swingbadabada

Student
    In singles you are sprinting? Surely that would be incorrect footwork my friend :)

10. davidluu

davidluu New Member

student
    well, what is correct footwork? sidestepping ? i just believe that good footwork is the things that will help reach the birdie as early as possible. so sprinting can help those sudden out of no where hard to reach birdies ur opponent may hit to u.

11. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

work on cardio and running. our coaches make us run 15 laps around the gym before even we start doing actual badminton drills. or during the summer time, we would run 5k or so before practice. cardio is number for sure but another thing is that you should practice footwork on the court without hitting a bird, so start from the middle and just go to the four corners and 2 sides do it about 5 mins you should be exhausted but aim for longer timing. even though you think you have are good with footwork, it doesnt hurt to practice and you'll probably be faster on the court cos you're training your muscles to get to a certain spot.

good luck

12. Swingbadabada

Student
    Sidesteppingis a part of coorect fotwork. IMHO you wouldn't be able to reach the shuttle by sprinting unless you accelerate like a a Hadron round the LHC ;/. Sprinting to a shuttle would also put you off balance to play your next shot hence - the rally lost hence a set lost hence a match lost.

13. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    It all comes down to how hard you want/can train. 4 years ago when I was about to do my miltary service my father tricked me into believing that they ran 10 km before breakfast everyday so that got me worried and I started to run like never before. I ran 5 km monday - friday rested on saturdays and ran 10 km on sundays to see how much i improved. If you feel you lack explosiveness find a course where you have a hill in either the middle or the end of the distance i prefer middle and stop at the hill and do sprints up the hill while jogging slowly down and do as many as you can while you still manage to complete you course ofc.

But I get it that many people dont have time/stamina/will to do this while its a bit extreme and I only did to get in shape for like 1,5 months and then slowed down but I mean anything helps, start out with 3 km and when you feel that its no challenge at all you proceed to 5 km and so on. At the end it becomes kinda fun for me atleast where you can compete against you own time :)

14. trainedtotrain

trainedtotrain Regular Member

trainer
    My friends,

Stamina training for badminton singles is terrible for me when I am in the forces. I am a competitive long distance runner and clock in 10 in my country.
    Do lots of 2 points, 3 points etc...footwork, shadow, sets after sets.
    But I still cannot get to my best in the court. I do not have a strength conditioning coach with me at that time.
    I realised that running is with a consistance rythme, increasing or reducing the tempo.
    But in the court it is crazy, no rythme, sudden, surprises, changing of directions in all 3 planes, getting there fast and leave the moment we take the shuttle.

Believe it or not, I achieved what I want through strength training on my lower body in the gym. Work out on my core stability for a quick change in my body direction.

After all this gym work, I felt that the court is smaller to me.

And recently they found out that the more you run, chances that you will be injuring your knees without conditioning your lower body.

Hope you can try it and you will feel what I have experience.

#14 trainedtotrain, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  15. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

Can you recommend any specific lower body exercises?

16. pyaarawala

pyaarawala Regular Member

student
    What does running 5k, 10k, etc mean?

And I never thought of doing lower body exercises to improve footwork. You mean like work on your hamstrings, quadriceps, and calves? I would say normal squats is good then.

17. trainedtotrain

trainer
    Footwork is about your lower body

Hi all,

As we know the legs are our primary source of power in this sport. They function as part of a closed kinetic chain. This means that one leg is always in contact with the ground. The leg mucles work TOGETHER to reduce and produce force in the most effective manner for our required movement.

We have been practicing footwork in the court. Body is our only resistance. How can we improve our SPEED when the ONLY resistance is our body?

We need to follow different circuit training with resistance in the gym. This will surely have great improvement in our footwork.

Moreover, if we continue to do the fixed pattern of directionally movement footwork in the court we are actually not making use of our EYES to trigger the direction of movement.

Another type of footwork training I have seen in training centres in Sin, junior athletes should not be encourage. This is picking shuttles from 1 point and put it to another point. It is timed by the number of shuttles and point or direction.

Just look at the body of this athletes behave. It is not even specific to their sport. So how are we as coaches expect them to perform the way we want in game play.

As for the type of exercises for the lower body, a Qualified Coach in Strength and Conditioning should be able to plot a training regime for you. He must also incorporate another varaiable training for your core. It is important because we are moving in all 3 planes. The Sagittal plane, frontal plane and the horizontal plane.

I sincerely hope that as trainers we must be very careful in designing training exercises and be watchful of movement patterns created by the athletes during training sessions. As this are the tell tale signs that we need to understand and if neccessary correct it with another correctional movement exercise.

Wish all A Happy and A Promising New Year

Cheers

#17 trainedtotrain, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  18. trainedtotrain

trainer
    Yes, there a few exercises but these 1 is very effective :

* Sumo squats :
    1) Begining posture from front, Ensure that you lower your squat till your knee is at a 90 degrees right angle. Ensure chest out position at all times to avoid body from leaning forward also at this point you are strengthening your back.

2) Then turn to your left by moving your right leg to the left, maintaining your left leg on the same position.

3) Back to front starting position by moving your right leg back to where you started.

4) Then turn to right by moving your left leg to the right, maintaining your right leg on the same position.

5) Back to front starting position by moving your left leg back to where you started.

AT ALL TIMES RIGHT ANGLE KNEE POSITION MUST BE MAINTAIN FOR AN EFFECTIVE WORKOUT.

Do 5 sets using body weight till you are able to balance and control your movement. (Basic)

Do this exercises with a barbell on your shoulders, weights should be added progressively. (intermediate)

For advance stage, try doing this exercises slower than your usual.

This is one of the exercises, switching to different exercises like side and transverse lunges, forward and backward with weights is recommended for better footwork.

After all this exercises you are able to go to any direction you want with speed.

Happy workout

19. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Sorry, but does that mean strengthening of hamstrings, calves are recommended vs jogging 5 or 10 clicks?

20. trainedtotrain

trainer
    If you love to run instead of strengthening, you should do 200m sprints x 5 sets x 5 mins interval or etc..... It is good for this sport. Jogging does not help, it will not stimulate your CNS in quickness and speed.

If you do not have strong legs you will not perform good speed. Always remember your BODY is one of your weapon. If you are a social player than it is not neccessary as your game is relaxation after office work.

Enjoy what you are happy to do :p