some questions about racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by dassad, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    I see many racquets have SP version comment. what is it about?

Now, I see a thing like
    3UG4 - the first is weight and the second is.. grip? how is it calculated - G4 G5..? and generally, what is grip size?:)

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Did you bother doing a search or reading the faqs section and the stickies? Those aren't just there to look nice.

3. MicroLegend

MicroLegend Regular Member

SP version, I assume you are referring to racquets meant for Singapore market.

As for U and G, check out http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54471

Please remember to use the "Search" button next time.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Exactly right, MicroLegend, U is a unit of weight. 2U is the heaviest normal racket weight I have seen in production today. Rackets in this band weigh 90-94.9g. 3U is lighter at 85-89.9g, 4U is lighter again, 80-84.9g. 5U is starting to get very light at 75-79.9. Karakal's SL70 and MTec 70 are the lightest rackets in production today. They would fit in to 6U and 70-74.9g.

G is a measure of grip size. G2 is massive, G3 is large but not really big, G4 is normal, G5 is small and G6 is extra small, I have so far only seen this on the Yonex Arcsaber 9. Obviously, the sizes of the grips in relation to comfort is my opinion but most people tend to go for G3 or G4 as these are medium sizes.

SP is a distribution code on the cones of Yonex rackets intended for distribution in the South Pacific region (often but not limited to Singapore).

5. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    thanks you a lot for explanations :)
    so boring sometime to hear all this "search.. search.." like I am not among living people but inside some machine

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

hehe... it also gets boring if everytime a poster asks the same question...
    - the same knowledgeable people has to repeat themselves, and
    - other readers has to read the same thing again.

No point loading the forum with posts if no new information is given.

7. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    There is a point. It's a people forum and not a vocabulary) If I would just know an information I can go to wikipedia. But while its at the forum I can ask recommendation, personal human feelings abou a subject and so on

8. nicholasl

nicholasl Regular Member

Government Sector
    This is a question that I wanted to look for too.

Honestly, such questions, I don't even know what to type in the search engine to ask. Its not that we newbies don't wanna search, but we don't know what to enter to search.

Cheers.

9. mspacific25

mspacific25 Regular Member

IT
    I second that

I absolutely agree. I've just joined this forum today as a beginner, and I'm getting worried about asking questions (in a forum?), because I feel I'll be told off like everyone else. Within the three of the last four threads I've come across, the person starting the thead has been accused of not doing their research. This is the only forum, where the 'regulars' seem a bit too over-zeolous about repetitive threads. If people know question have been answered to else where, they can provide the link, or otherwise ignore the question, and let someone helpful answer it.

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Lets put it this way. look at the amount of threads in the racket recommendation forum. When i look, i see a trend that with every year, there are more posts. however, while the increasing posts is a testament to BC's expansion, sometimes the questions aren't.

many questions are repeated, and it can become annoying for members to answer similar questions over and over. also, searching for the answer takes time away from members who decide to help. the search button allows you to find the information you need without having to open a new thread.

I do admit that there are a lot of questions that aren't answered. I am sure that many members are willing to answer these questions. however, when you have questions such as this, this it gets annoying to answer.

We have many stickies that answer basic questions, racket reviews from numerous members, and the search function to allow a person to instantly recall most of the knowledge on BC. use it to your advantage, and save space.

#10 jymbalaya, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  11. mspacific25

IT
    From the examples you're submitted, I'd probably agree, users should be more thoughtful. But I was thinking of the question asked at the beginning of the thread, which is trickier to find answers to using the Search function IMO. Athlete could have perhaps guided him to how he could find the answers via the search function (i.e. what kind of words to use when searching for the particular question without reaching dead ends) instead of the patronising comment he did waste his (and everyone elses) time on.

On a smaller note, the Search function is definitely not the most obvious tool on the site. Most internet users are used to have a text box convenoently somewhere at the top, clearly in view before anything else. That could be part of the reason why it is not used as frequently?. Also database could be cleaned up once in a while, and similarly themed topics removed?

12. Athelete1234

Student
    The problem is....the forum (especially in the equipment areas) is becoming more like a "help me" thing, where you post your problems and expect direct answers for free. I understand asking about racquet qualities and how people feel about it, or racquet comparisons...but these sort of questions like 3UG4 and stuff are EVERYWHERE, stickied, posted, reposted, FAQ section...they're NOT the kind of questions which generate discussion.

And another thing is that users here dont' take the time to ask quality questions. Never specific enough to warrent a quality answer. If you expect people to spend time helping you out, you gotta spend time making a quality question/topic which will suit your needs.

I see threads all over the place here asking for just general help. Nobody reads the stickies. I can tell because every single thread on this board doesn't follow or answer the questions suggested on the stickied guideline. I dont' think people who dont' even bother to find things for them selves deserve to be spoonfed this kind of stuff.

And mspacific25, if you really take the time to wander the forum....there are announcements, stickies, and threads everywhere which all say; seach, search,seach, or be specific about what you want. This is like the real world too; if you can't bother to invest your time into something, you're not gonna get anything out of it.

A rediculous example of this mentality is shown here:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65287

#12 Athelete1234, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  13. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

mspacific25, the idea that the answer question from up top is difficult to find is quite absurd. in Fact, if you ever frequent the Equipment Forum, it should be one of the first thing you see. need proof?

As for searching it is on the top panel, and each forum has a search form. the reason that the posts remain is to preserve whatever knowledge we can glean of the forums. some questions asked nowadays can be answered by a quick search. trust me, it saves time for everyone involved.

#13 jymbalaya, Jan 27, 2009
  14. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

oh boy, i understand you completely Athlete1234.

mspacific25, if you ever want help, we will help. but ask a good question, using the guidelines given, and try to give us as much information that can help you.
    then, it will be much easier to help. posting threads like, 'what has more power' or ' which one is stiffer' are questions you should refrain from, especially when this has been discussed.

#14 jymbalaya, Jan 27, 2009
  15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    My personal take on this that I do sympathize with newcomers who in all sincerity simply wants to get more information about certain questions they want some answers to. Some of the questions may not have the right type of answers if a search is performed. But let us admit it, asking a simple question is easier for the newcomer. Oftentimes doing a search is not as user-friendly. If you feel a newcomer is wasting your time by not using the search function, you can do two decent and friendly things-post an answer or abstain from posting. Either of these two options is preferred instead of making a newcomer unwelcomed.
    We have to look at both sides.

16. mspacific25

IT
    "A rediculous example of this mentality is shown here: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=65287" - Athlete1234

I wouldn't say mentality, but human nature. There are some people who are probably not as serious about Badminton or are serious but have other things going on, so they find it quick and easier to ask a direct question via a new thread. As Taneapek argues, sometimes you can spend ages searching for the exact answer and you don't get the precise information you are after. Searching for the right information requires skill which some people still don't have (lack of experience or aptitude...or whatever). This is not absurd, this is true. Ok, fair enough, it's also a bit like some people who chuck litter on the street, when there's a bin 5 yards away...but that's unfortunately human nature again. You can’t stop everyone.

The way to overcome this to have an exclusive membership for this forum. This will make the content of a much higher 'quality', but in my opinion a less livelier place, and full of pretty stuck-up, egoistical - "we're too good for everyone else" – members. If that kind of thing makes you tick, then go ahead with that option. There will be other equally good, but open, forums.

"the forum (especially in the equipment areas) is becoming more like a "help me" thing" Ahtlete1234

So what is a forum? I for one would not want to define it. It's too broad, but "help me" questions, in particular with internet forums, are something I would constitute as being a valid part of it. I check out numerous computer forums, and "help me" kind of topics come up a lot.

Cheers.

17. tcy148

tcy148 Regular Member

I have to agree with Taneepak here. I feel some new members get intimidated, patronised and feel unwelcomed because of this problem.
    As BC is the best and most definitive guide to badminton questions on the web (probaby), many new members just expect to be answered promptly and coherently regardless of the type of questions asked - it was the first thing i thought of when i joined :D
    I also understand that the database can be over run by repeated threads and that a repeated question or answer is hardly insightful. On top of that, some new members also need to use the search function more.
    However, i know this is a dicussion forum, but many people do infact ask a question and expect a free answer, and in a way... this is what BC is all about isn't it? A nice friendly place where badminton enthusiasts talk about and answer issues regarding the sport?
    I just feel some answers provided here get far too personal in my opinion.
    Peace out! :D:D

#17 tcy148, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  18. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    i would like to make a humble suggestion to kwun and the mods that perhaps you can consider setting up a FAQ section in the forum, questions like explanation of racket codes, difference between rackets of different codes, meaning of U and G, etc... all the questions that newcomers have asked but got the word SEARCH thrown at their faces... i understand fellow forumers who really wanted to find out the answers to their queries from this forum, and i think we should have a place for them to look for the answers easily...

may be you can gather questions of similar or related topic to one general header, or sticky, so forumers can search easily. i do also search the forums and hundreds of posts containing the words i want came up, going through all the posts needs time and patience and the thing is after i've gone through most of the posts i did not find the answer to what i was looking for so sometimes i also get frustrated from searching...

:)

#18 winstonchan, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Athelete1234

Student
    You mean this FAQ which nobody reads???

I think I've said enough about my opinion and upset enough people....I'm out of this thread....

Attached Files:

• FAQ.jpg
      FAQ.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
      Views:
  20. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    I'm glad my simple question generated so long discussion. I learn here some things. Hope we will know how to communicate more smooth