Power Power Power

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Brave_Turtle, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Guys, I bought a MP 55 3 weeks ago. The price was very cheap 70$ CA whitout string. I string the racquet at 23lbs.

The racquet seem to be too head heavy. Even with that charachteristic I Couldnt deliver big smashes :mad: . The grip seemed to be too big and I couldnt feel the bird.

I also have another racquet : blacknight 2008 . It's very very very light (79g)but very powerful compared to MP 55. It is also string at 23 I heard that with heavy racquet you have more power but it seems that it's the opposit for me. Could it be that im more a arm player or something. I tought by buying the mp 55 I would increase my smash litterally but im very disapointed.

2. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

you have to patient i bought a MP 100 and MP 99 they were hard to get used to. you have to force yourself to use ur MP 55 don't change back carry on using it :)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The power is from the player, but not the racket itself. Otherwise, we can just use a tennis racket for badminton.

Heavier racket has larger mass, while lighter racket tend to be able to swing faster. Force = Mass * Accleration Therefore, either type has 1 of the major factors. If you have strong wrist / arm / shoulder, u can use heavier racket, to take advantage on the "momentum". If u r weak, then, stay with lighter racket, and work on the swing (speed, timing, angle, etc).

Power is important, but not everything. Sharp angle and correct timing could well make up the lack of "power".

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The F=MA equation gives the amount of force needed to accelerate the bird. The inference that is made is that heavier objects give more force due to their heavy weight. But efficiency of energy and hence force transfer is inversely proportional to the weight difference of the two objects--and thus the heavier the object the more power loss and hence the slower the bird will go. That's why no one can smash as fast with a 100 pound racket as an 100 gram one. But if they could make a 1g racquet that won't be too powerful either as the limit isn't the effiency of power transfer anymore--it's now the amount of power storage.

The faster you swing, the less time you have to put store energy in the racquet as mommentum. If the racquet is twice as light, you'll have to swing it 1/sqroot(2) (about 0.7 i think) as fast to store the same amount of energy. But since the total swing time is now reduced, if you have less time to build up that energy.

i'm sorry what was the question? :confused: :eek:

5. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    If you know you can hit harder with a light racquet, then go with light racquets. As BRL pointed out, you probably aren't accelerating the heavier racquet fast enough to make a difference in power. If you're not used to it, then you definately won't hit harder. In fact, as you've already found out, you'll hit softer unless you can accelerate the heavier racquet to at least the same speed as you can the light one in order to see a visible increase in power. If you're hitting at almost the same power with a light or heavy racquet, I'd still go with light racquets then as you'll be using less effort during repeated strokes, and it'll be quicker to maneuvre all around.

This is an interesting subject to me because I recently discovered that heavier racquets match my personal stroke much better than light racquets. It was a total surprise to me because all summer I've been trying out various light racquets to "find the one" for me, but none of them were quite working out for me. During all that time I was training regularly while using old Yonex 2U ultra heavy racquets and actually began to appreciate them. However, one of them got stolen and I felt obliged to replace it. So I recently bought an Armortec, which as you may know, is notorious for being head heavy. It turns out I got more stronger from my training than I thought because now I hit harder with my Armortec than I have ever hit with a light racquet.

So from my own personal experience, I believe that the theory that heavier racquets are only advantageous if you have the strength to wield it like a light racquet, is true :).

6. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Although the weight difference between 3U and 2U is only 5g but the difference of the power is huge. With light rackets, you must swing really fast to producing the powerful smash. In a fast game, I always don't have a lot of time to get to ready position to make a fast swing. Maybe, my moving is not quick enough. For me, I like heavier rackets more. Because I can make decent half smash with it, even out of position in double game.

7. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    yea, i bought an mp55 a year and a half ago, and it took me a while to appreciate the racquet's characteristics. it'd definitely a head heavy racquet, but with a thick group, and some getting used to, it lends a very noticeable amount of power to your shots. it's also very solid, the paintjob's good, and i have yet to crack it, or see any noticeable damage.

8. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Guys thanx for replying me, seems that I have to work hard and get use to heavier racquet. I have notice by reading the forum that a lot of people are having hard time to get use to the MP. I'm happy to see that im not the only one :D WhOoOoho!

Thanx again! me going to the gym working on those muscles heheeh.

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think that you guys are confusing heavy and light as in head heavy and head light. Having a lighter racquet which is head heavy will probably give you more power than a heavy racquet which is head light.

As Timeless indicated, he finds that he is getting more power out of the Armortec 700 (a head heavy 3U racquet).

There are several factors involved in generating power in your strokes and includes:
    a) racquet type
    b) string type
    c) tension
    d) stroke technique of the player.

And keep in mind that as time goes on, the player will also adapt to the racquet/string tension to get the most out of that combination. In an ideal world, the player having the prefect technique with the prefect racquet/string/tension combination can smash constantly and consistently at the same power and any changes to any one factor decreases that power. That's the ultimate goal for the player (finding the right racquet/string/tension combination) which complement his/her playing style but alas, as the player improves, that combination has to change (hence the need to buy more racquets) :D :D :D

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! I guess that's where you come in:D

11. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

black turtle...

i think if's because u switched from light to heavy...

so whenever u swing your heavier racquet, your mental tries to tell u to use the same amount of force(used to swing the lighter one) to swing the heavier one... thus slower speed.....

u need to give yourself sometime to adapt to the racquet.... i didn't like my Ti-10 2u at first.... i wanted to sell it.... but after few weeks.... i began to like it.... and even bought another identical one...