A new form of badminton "Tai Chi badminton"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by footimy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

With the possible exception of Xie XingFang. :D

I'll get my coat...

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing! :p

3. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

i think it goes off topic. interesting how easy some people are to influence in some strange way when in contact with new ideas. (creating maybe anxiety, because of the unknown?)
    like to hear more about the tai-chi-concept.

4. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I think footimy has chosen a quite ambiguous name for his style. Taichi, in the context of badminton playing style is very unspecific. Otherwise all other things he said make alot of sense. Apparently footimy seems to abandon this thread, which is a pity.

5. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

i only feel for players like me who seldom come in touch with good players - if his achievements were true and it seems so from his writing - i think is a good oppotunity to leartn from a higher level players experience...

6. rw972

rw972 New Member

I am really interesting about this topic, please submit your video so i can learn from it. thx dude.

7. Panger

Panger Regular Member

i may be completely wrong, but this sounds somewhat similar to the way i try to play. Starting out a rally at a certain pace and then changing it mid-rally to throw off the opponent, and never letting them recover their ground, then doing something completely different the next rally.

The way this works is by constantly making the opponent feel uncomfortable, never letting them gain any sort of momentum, so they cannot play the shots they want to. Even if doing it yourself doesn't feel great, it's probably even worse for your opponent.

8. opac1001

opac1001 New Member

marketing
  9. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Cool

:cool:

Only, replace the ball with a shuttle cock.

10. tangent90

tangent90 Regular Member

The Tai Chi badminton is a cool idea, and it does explain a lot of things that I can't seem to understand about the game. Although it's not a 'new' thing to hear about Taichi, perhaps it's time to listen and learn new ideas. :) thank you everyone who shares and jokes also :)

11. avataar

avataar Regular Member

12. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

Had some exposure to combat tai chi and obviously plays badminton, and I have to say the TS's idea is cute at bast.

13. runningpig001

runningpig001 Regular Member

you are kidding

14. runningpig001

runningpig001 Regular Member

15. brandnew

brandnew New Member

Forgetting about chi?

Awesome idea. BTW found this by searching for "Tai Chi Bandminton" in google

I thought tai chi is all about the nature of tao and the flow of chi. I would suggest "Chi Badminton" as brand name and use Tai Chi style conditioning to achieve this.

I'm suggesting to use chi energy for much more advanced participation in the game. Chi can affect so many things that I wouldn't know where to begin... Here is an interesting summary http://forums.vsociety.net/index.php?topic=3434.0;wap2

My trouble with introducing any energy (ki, chi, qi, prana, etc) concepts is that as soon as I suggest that his anything else other than hypothetical idea that helps but is not real. From my own experience I can tell otherwise: a very real and physical phenomena.

Therefore any benefits you describe from using tai chi in badminton a rather visible side-effects than reasons for benefit. Chi has application from fighting to healing and is a rather mystical practice. This means that if you don't believe in the idea or your ability to acquire it you won't get it. (You could take this as a rule of thumb for most things you do or don't)

If you have no problem with the concept than you can learn. May need time, training and guidance...

Another thing that recalls when I read this thread is Strategy. I'm looking at a different way to go about it. When I quote this I usually get asked what does it have to do with anything LOL here is a quote from the Book Of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi

Basically that you develop by changing how you go about things rather than working on an ultimate panacea technique. You acquire technique while exploring the strategy and you develop technique as and when you require it whatever it might be. Constantly evolving...

Since I started applying this to badminton I've made a huge leap from my beginners level plateau to the point where I can think about what I'm doing while playing the game without interrupting my flow or concentration and to be mobile all the time. If you are in control of your thoughts and your energy you could hide or fake your intent - and that is real deception. Fine-tuning of trajectory is another.

I have stop here since