Proper way to cut strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TechKXL, Feb 17, 2009.

1. TechKXL

TechKXL Regular Member

International Officer
    Dear all,

Just wondering (apologies if this has been discussed before, I tried a search, nothing constructive). However if your strings break, or you just got tired of them, I was told by my previous stringer, just cut is vertically down middle, then horizontal from middle. Is this correct? I've also seen some who said, cut horizontally making a X cut. Wondering if anyone else has any input in this regard, it looks like my strings are gonna break soon, and want to cut it properly. Thanks!

2. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

to me simply just cut as fast as possible ....... either top-down then left-right, or diagonal ....

if in tennis, the cut like circular : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vablJWPV9jU&feature=channel_page

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As long as you do it quickly (i.e. five seconds or less) you can't really hurt the racket no matter which way you do it. To be safe, though, I never do all the mains or all the crosses at once - that would be like taking the racket off the machine half way through the job.

I go middle to top, middle to side, middle to bottom and middle to other side.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I believe if low tension, anyway is fine as long as you do it quickly. If high tenion (i.e. 25 or more), start in the middle, doing "X" (cut intersections) will be a safer approach.

5. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    if you cut the strings fast, you will be fine.
    i cut them 5 at a time starting in the center, cut 5 horizontals, then go clockwise, 5 verticals, then 5 horizontal..cutting in an outward spiral of sorts.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The best way to cut the string is to cut it in a pattern that release stress on the frame progressively and with almost no stress. Cutting it fast the wrong way will also stress the frame, for example like cutting the string at the 2 o,clock spot. Try this : Cut the middle two main string at their intersection with the two crosses (only 2 cuts). You will notice that pressure that is released is not extended to the frame because the cuts are right in the middle and there are enough strings to take the stress that is being released. Now continue cutting diagonally, one cut up one down and always at the main/cross intersection. Once the diagonal cut is finished, just finish off their others which would have some minimal stress left.