Camera body & lens for good badminton photos

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by FAST!, Nov 27, 2008.

1. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

I heard 50mm f/1.2 have slower motor focus than 50mm f/1.4. Is that true?

2. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

since you're new to dslrs, do you really want to be spending us$1400 on the 50/1.2?

3. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

No of course :) But for badminton shooting, I heard someone mentioned 50mm/f1.2 AF is slower than 50mm/f1.4. Is that true?

Please advise.

4. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

you need to be more realistic. a 450d class of dslr isn't going to have fast af no matter what lens you put on it and especially not with a 50/1.2.

if you're not going to spend the money for a 50/1.2 then it doesn't matter how fast/slow it can af because you won't be using that lens. but yes the 50/1.2 will be slower to focus than a 50/1.4 and 50/1.8.

5. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

Thanks for the info. I really appreciated it. :)

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    The Canon 50mm f/1.2 USM L is a very specialized lens. 'Slow' is a relative term here as its indeed 'slower' than the other two 50mm primes. However, how well it can takes action shots depends a great deal on the skill of the photographer a whole lot more. In fact, the 85mm f/1.2 USM L is an even 'slower' lens but I've seen people take taekwando bouts as well as gymnastic floor exercises with great success using it. In fact, I've seen really good photographers taken kids at play (which in terms or difficulty level is certainly right up there with most forms of sports photography)with their M8 rangefinders and full manual lenses !

As most people who have used these super high zoots lenses will attest to, the f/1.2 L primes for canon are more suited for portrait or 'environmental' shots where the excellent subject isolation and background 'bokeh' created by these lenses truly shine. They create a certain 'feel' in the shots captured that's hard to put a word to. It is also for the same reason I love my 35mm f/1.4 USM L too! :D

7. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

Thanks for the advise. So if you have a good skill, you can use the 50mm f1.2 to take action photo. For the newbie like me, it's better to just use the f1.4. It's cheaper too. :p

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Shabok took some badminton photos with the Canon 85/1.2. Nice ones as well. You can find them in the forum.

But it's rare to see lenses such as the 50/1.2 or 85/1.2 used for badminton. Why? Because they are expensive and not absolutely neccessary. If a gym really is that dark to require f1.2, you'd better just enjoy playing badminton rather than taking a photo:D

If you are going for primes on a canon system, I'd say main realistic choices are

1) 85mm/f1.8 USM
    2) 100mm/f2 USM
    3) 135mm/f2L USM
    4) 200mm/f2.8L USM

For the 50mm/f1.4 the AF motor is a slightly different type so it doesn't move as fast as those four lenses.

9. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

Cheung, thanks for the info. I really appreciated it. I will try to find out those pics posted by Shabok. Not that I will buy that lens, but just curious. It's interesting to learn the AF motor for 50mm f1.4 is slower than the lens that you mentioned above. I don't think I will know the fact by myself, because I will not buy all those lens.

May I assume that you used all those lens before?

Also, I was told sigma 30mm f1.4 is a very outstanding lens. Has anyone used it for badminton shooting?

10. viver

viver Regular Member

Nikon D90 performance in sports photography

Found an article reviewing the Nikon D90 used in sports photography. Interestingly badminton was one of the sports chosen for the test. Link to the article below:

http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/?p=456

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Not too shabby..^^

..although a fast lens (f1.4 to 2.0) also sure helps..:cool:

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Definitely a fast lens would help. Other than the fast lens, I believe the camera's focusing/tracking system is as important. :) On Nikon D90, the capability for rendering images with high ISO settings is also a welcome feature.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I would rate..^^

..(eventhough not a Nikon user myself)...the D90 as more or less equal to Canon's 40D-50D camera body system (comparing the prices and features), as middle-tiered DSLR cameras. So, yeah, definitely the AF tracking system should be up to par & not really surprised by the results.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

I have never used Canon DSLR.. though I have a P&S from Canon. I have old Nikon lenses from the SLR days which I really love and that's the reason why I am only considering the cameras from Nikon.

My colleague got a Canon 5D Mark II. Camera is well built and heavy, the images are very nice - images taken at ISO 3200 are very clean as well. :)

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Those lenses I quoted have ring motor USM. Very fast. I've used the 100/2, 135/2 and 200/2.8. Very good.

The 50/1.4 has a micromotor USM therefore not so fast.

16. bocah

bocah Regular Member

you guys, I have a question. If you had a chance to shoot beside the umpire, which lens you recommended? I used 70-200, but it seems the focal lens too big.

I'm not sure, should I get 50mm or 35mm, any suggestion?:rolleyes:

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Personally..^^

..i'll opt, still, for the fastest lens available (f/2 or faster), even with a bright enough lighting. 50mm (close enough and wide enough) is one of the first lenses i'll use, definitely a court-side friend. After that, a zoom lens..;)
    *Are you taking pics for this yr's AE??..

18. bocah

bocah Regular Member

hmm... then maybe I should try 50/1.4 instead of 35/2.0 :p

is this question for me? I'm not going to AE just German Open, no sponsor :D

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Sound good..^^

..i guess you were one of the Photo Press people??..have you posted your pics in BC??..German Open just passed, last week..

20. AChan

AChan Regular Member

Rehabilitation
    Anyone heard the performance of 5DMKII on the AF tracking?