Karakal M-Tec 70 & Karakal Accessories [Review]

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by MrChrisBT, Feb 9, 2009.

1. MrChrisBT

MrChrisBT Regular Member

Student, Cook
    Karakal product reviews

[M-Tec 70 Racket]
    I recently purchased the Karakal M-Tec 70. It's strung with NBG-95. I am a doubles and singles player. Prior to getting the M-Tec 70 I used primarily an AT 900 power, which is head heavy. I had some logic to my purchase, considering my love of head heavy rackets. I heard the M-Tec 70 had a titanium concentration at its head, making it head heavy. Personally, I'd consider it somewhere in between head heavy and even balanced. Never the less, this is quite good for doubles, because you need manoeverability when you're at the net and still a head heavy is very helpful for returning a clear with a powerful smash from the back of the court. I always find myself misjuding my own drop shots, I'll usually hit too lightly. It's probably because I'm used to a repulsive string and more heavy racket. (BG-80 on AT900P) But when I do execute them properly, they're accurate. All in all, this racket will take some getting use to and is a good comprimise for attacking and defending in doubles. In singles I was often able to surprise my oponent with a quick change in direction due to the swing speed this racket can produce.

[Karakal Racket Case (for fun)]
    The case is more solid than the Yonex ones (they're more like sleeves in comparison.) It is very form-fitting to the racket. One useful feature is the perforated netting section near the area the racket handle will be inside the case. This allows the sweat on the grip to evaporate/dry more easily, even when it's in the case.

[Nano 60 Overwrap grip (covering a Super PU)]
    The Nano 60 overgrip is very tacky, absorbant and hard to lose hold of. It's simmilar to the Wilson Super Thin, but more porous.

#1 MrChrisBT, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Thanks for the review, been looking for an impartial one for a bit.
    I saw its the lighted frame weight "in the world", does it feel it? and also is it fragile?

3. MrChrisBT

MrChrisBT Regular Member

Student, Cook
    It's substantially lighter than my 4U AT900P, you can move it very fast. Blocking drives is effortless at the net because it's so easy to maneuver. I can even block smashes at the net if I judge well and get the racket there quickly enough. (Even though you should leave them to the back-court player in doubles. lol) It's not at all fragile, it's reinforced with titanium. I've missed smashes by small intervals and hit the rim and shaft at full force many times to date. Nothing has happened so far and I've had it for months. I would put trust in it. You hear many stories about Karakal's breaking anyhow, do you?

Any more stuff, just ask away.

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Nice review. Get some lead tape, add it to the head. You'll get shed loads more power but it'll still be seriously light.

5. awatz

awatz Regular Member

I've seen a mtec70 get deformed after a clash.

6. criteria

criteria Regular Member

Aircraft Engineer
    Danstevens, thx a lot for the reviews u made regarding to e Mtec 80 Tattoo.

I've been searching all e while in getting a racket as there are sooo many to choose from...especially Yonex. Accidentally i came across this forum and starting to read the reviews and e more i read e more confuse i am...!!??
    Till i gets to read urs which one of e thread is base on e Karakal Mtec 80 Tattoo, it sounds cool and unique...so i do some research on it & finally I had it on my hand!
    I dare not comment that this is the best racket in the world, but i can say that this is the best racket i ever had!!!!

Karakal Mtec 80 Tattoo= Look,Feel & Power!!!!

7. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Don't mind if i do :) I haven't heard any stories about them, it's just the racket is proportionally a shed load lighter than the compeditors, i was thinking that possibly that karakal had skimped on something to save weight, however by what you've said this does not appear to be the case.

Just to clarify you said about hitting your shots lightly, is it just a change in technique that is required to rectify this or do you have to use more power?
    Can you smash as fast as you could with your head heavy AT 900?

cheers for answering

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Get it soon though, it's being discontinued when the '09 Karakals come out and there isn't an exact successor to it. The MTec 80 tattoo is an awesome racket and it will be sadly missed.

On the durability note, my MTec 70s are all holding up fine. The paint and the rackets themselves both seem to be pretty durable considering the tiny weight.