Who will win the 2009 Sudirman Cup?

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by george@chongwei, Apr 2, 2009.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

whatever it is, let's just wait and see:cool:

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i still stand by my belief that MS and esp. WS, along with WD, are also sure pts for CHN. Last 12 months? Who won last yr's Uber Cup? Who won the Thomas Cup? Who won the Olympic's MS & WS title?:confused:
    ..speaking of the BWF ranking, have you checked out BWF's ranking for WS?? Check out how many players with red flags are represented in the top 10? They might/seem to be in a "hibernation" mode but i don't think they are on the decline. Nor are their MS.
    ...IMO, MAS, INA and DEN are all clumped together after KOR.
    ..tis true, WPT & CEH took advantage of CHN's WD army missing on quite a few tourneys late last yr. But now, looks like they are somewhat reaping their exerted effort.
    ..don't worry about CHN. They will be the one everyone else is chasing after, whether they're in "hibernation" mode or not..;)

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You mean 3 tournaments represent 12 months? Or only the ones that count to you count? So what are the other tournaments for? To justify BWF's existence?
    Red flags in the top 10? Used to be red flags in the top 3!!!
    Standards' been slipping,that's why intensive training for all to achieve decent standards at the same time. Otherwise difficult to form strong relay teams.

4. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

The fact that China was at the top 3 in rankings and isnt anymore means nothing. They're still top 3 worthy and you know that, they just need to regain the points they lost from not having played. Give it some time and you'll see red flags in the top spots again.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Let's get it right -- this is a pendulum swing. Malaysia is now ahead in men singles and doubles - LCW is ahead today. LD has to catch up. Red flags are in the top spot but they are Malaysian red flags. :)

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

3 or 6 or 9 or 12 tourneys...

..it doesn't really matter whether CHN plays in 3 or 6 or 9 or 12 tourneys to justify their dominance. Do you know during the last few months of 2008, after the OG, how many CHN's top players were present in the rest of the tourneys??

Red flags in top 3 or top 10 or top 15 in the word, it doesn't really matter as CHN has the most representatives in the MS, WS & WD. Just because they are no longer in the top 3 or 4 or 5 is the reason to say they are no longer "dominant"??

CHN's standard has been slipping?? Eerr, do you remember what happened in this yr's All England??..I think that's proof enough of CHN's dominance...;):cool:

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

All England is proof enough of CHN's dominance?
    And the dominance fell off a week later in Swiss Open.
    Oh yes, do you remember TO08? CHN sweep for sure.That's dominance as well.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I must've forgot..^^

..can you check or make that double check again how many titles CHN actually won in this yr's Swiss Open-thanks & i appreciate it:)

Btw, what's TO08??Taipei Open?? Thailand Open??

I don't know, for some reason some people seem to not acknowledge CHN's overall team dominance, even if they fail to sweep any tourneys. As a matter of fact, they've won **at least** 3 titles per tourney, in about at least 90% of the tourneys they've attended, in the past 2-3 yrs. If i were one of them doubters abt CHN's team dominance, i'd just accept the fact and move on. :cool:

#68 ctjcad, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    China versus the Rest?

It is sad that even the other badminton powerhouses cannot come close to China in this SC in their own capacity, that's what most of us believe. They have to fight for the number 2 title. :rolleyes:

Do you think if they all put their heads together and put up a combined "Rest of the World Team" to challenge China they might win?

Who should be in this World Team line-up worthy enough to wrestle the crown from China? Select only the best players from any country.

Pick your choice for the World Team versus China in this SC. Support with your reason if you have one. :D

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

very good idea just for fun. to follow the SC format but with 2 or even 3 matches for each, ie 3 MS, 3MD etc. and just like the ryder's cup you dont have play your nos 1 against each other, that will be the captain's choice/tactics.

11. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is reported that TH will not be in the INA team for the Sudirman Cup 2009 competition. SDK will be the first MS choice. No doubt he is good but lately he has been troubled by backaches. The WD pairing of VM and LN has also been dismantled. Although I root for INA to do well, I still think it is difficult for it to finish as runner-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Uncle Loh, i've heard a BCer suggested this before. Don't remember when.
    Is this idea developing now? :cool:

I don't know if Ryder Cup style is applicable for Badminton. They had started as an exhibition match. Let's try a step at a time.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes now that Alan has mentioned it, we have something like the Ryder Cup in golf. However, the Ryder Cup is a men's team event with US versus the rest of the world.

Since China is so strong as a mixed team, and there seems to be no chance at all for the other countries to snatch the title from China, why not figure out a non-China team making up the best from the rest of world to match China's players in MS, MD, WS, WD and XD. This is just for the fun of it.

Do you think there are non-China players who can beat the China players in this Sudirman Cup? There will be some, depending on how and who China will field their players for the entire series.

For example, my choice for the Rest of the World (ROW) Team comes from:

MS: LCW, PG, PSH, Sony,
    WS: TR, ZM, PHY, WC ... etc for the rest of the events

If any of the above players win any of their matches against China, 1 point for the ROW Team, 0 point for China and vice versa.

At the end of the series, we can add up the points for China and ROW to see who has scored the most points in total.

I hope ROW can score more points to prove that China can be defeated. Otherwise, it will be a China domination for many more years to come.

Do you think it is worth a try? :rolleyes:

WS: TR, Pi,

14. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    This year SC date is near to the 1st Anniversary of Sze-Chuan Earthquakes.
    Lets hopes BWF can organized a charity match between china versus the Rest of World.
    Win or loss it does not matter as The ticket sales of this match will be channel towards the victims in SzeChuan. The ideal dates will be 2-3 days before the start of SC. By that time, most of the teams will be arrived in GuangZhou and the players who join this match can take it as match practice to familiar themselve with the court condition etc...
    Hopes most of the top players agreed to join that match to shows their support. If the match was arranged in purpose to determine "how strong the China Team was" - I believed most of the other teams won't sent their best cards . No points to share the responsiblitiy to make a powehouse becomes more ego. But this is a charity match, everyone should contributes if invited.

My ideal Match Line-ups will be as belows :

XD = LYD/LHJ vs ZB/MJ
    MS = LCW vs LD
    WS = PI vs ZN
    MD = MK/HS vs FHY/CY
    WD = (Danes/ENG pair) vs GL/ZYW

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Depends on how one looks at dominance.
    To me, it means achieving 90% wins:
    1) A country sweeping all 5 titles at least 90% of their participation
    2) A country winning an event at least 90% of their participation (possibly CHN WD)
    3) A country sweeping all 5 titles at least 90% of the SS,GPG,Olympics,WC,etc (ie by tournament category)
    4) A country sweeping an event at least 90% of the SS,etc

Dominance is such a open definition.No one has to agree with your definition or mine.What is important is you qualify it so others can understand what you mean.Now at least you understand why I don't see CHN as dominant except WD.
    However,if you do a trend analysis starting from when LD first became WR1 and based on your definition, you may be able to see that CHN's dominance is less than before.(I may be wrong but you can check it out.)

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^A bit off topic-90% winning percentage equals dominance..^^

For the first part, how realistic of a percentage is that?? 90%??
    If other top countries can't even muster a 40% winning percentage (of winning titles/event or per their participating event), how does one expect CHN to win have a 90% percentage??
    If one is to say, CHN usually wins 3 out 5 titles per given tourney, now, i would say that's about as close to a 90% chance they have.

Dominance for me is to have a 60% winning percentage (3 out 5 titles/event). That's more realistic. And, btw, that's roughly the avg. no. of titles team CHN usually gets when their top players/full team is participating.
    LD was no.1 from roughly 2004 til 2008. During that time I don't see their squad being "less dominant". Examples: 2 Sudirman Cup titles, 2 Thomas & Uber Cup titles in their cabinet trophy. And i'm sure you guys know the rest.

17. singhzico

singhzico Regular Member

Postie
    regular badminton club

I was just wandering if:):):) you play the sport and if you are aware of any badminton club in scarborough that play on the weekend.I will appreciate it if you have any info that you can pass on.Thank You

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

for team domination we obviously needed to look at the team events. In 2005, CHN was the holder of all 3 team competitions, i.e. TC, UC and SC. none of the other nations ever achieved that before or since. guess what, CHN done it again in 2007 with all 3 titles concurrently. if they perform as expected next month that I've no doubt that they will do it again.
    that's what I called total domination!

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Spot on!
    Agree totally.
    CHN is dominant in team tournaments so far.(SC in odd years;TC and UC in even years.)

20. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    With CHN consistantly winning 3 titles or more from current SS events, chances of winning for "the rest of the world" vs CHN - playing in CHN - is lower than the host.