Badly Torn Achilles

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by zipperat, May 18, 2009.

1. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    Played singles 3 weeks ago, slipped while going back for a clear. As a result, I completely torn my achilles tendon. Had surgery and slowly recovery. Doctor said it was badly torn. Good news that its not a painful during recovery on a complete tear. Had it been a partial tear, it would've been painful and a longer healing process. Out of commission for 8 weeks. I have 4 weeks to go before rehab.

Can't wait to get back on the court.

Cheers!

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Eat meat, lots of it, protein repairs body tissues. Good luck with your recovery!

3. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    That sounds good. Guess I'll do more summer BBQ this summer....:)

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Good luck on your recovery. I did some thing similar except I was going in fast for a netdrop, slipped, and tore my meniscus. Don't play too hard when you get back. You won't be able to play like you normally did either. So make sure you control those urges.

5. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    What Joseph said but, also, when you get back, you can run around the court, just don't lunge. Big difference, and also a killer difference. Might send you back into the chairs again. Don't want to have those big wheels rolling you around anymore than you have to. Take it easy, mate.

6. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

The problem wont be lunging forwards. Movement backwards will be the test. Ensure you re-hab slowly. When starting to play again make sure you warm up and carefully stretch. Applying a heat pack to warm up will also assist greatly.

7. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Do NOT make the mistake of icing it. Do NOT! Read up on it and you'll see why. The only time when you should is when it's burning like a [profane] and you need instant numbing.

8. DJRitt

DJRitt New Member

retired school teacher
    Unless the methods for repairing torn achilles tendons have advanced greatly since I tore my left one twice (1983, 1993) playing badminton, it's going to take a lot more than eight weeks to recover. More like eight months. In fact, mine didn't feel fully strong for about a year in each case.

9. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    when i tore my left one twice a few years aback (2001-2002), it definitely took more than eight weeks. First time I tore I was in a cast....was able to walk in my cast after a couple months (not really supposed to though)...but definitely no real movement.....second time i tore (6 months later) I got the footsol boot....which is what I think is being used nowadays......allows you to walk by keeping the achilles in a permanent resting position by raising heel....but even then....i had to sit out from september until just after xmas. couldn't walk properly until middle of january...and definitely couldn't even attempt to play until mid-february..........think i didnt' compete until end of march.
    just make sure that you take your time.......i didnt'..and that's why i tore mine a second time....and....it hasn't been the same since...so..really..take care.

10. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    Hey William,

I was told by someone that he had a good doctor and that he was on rehab and off the cast in a week. Switched over to a removable cast and at the same time do rehab at home. But it all depends on which Doctor you have. Wish I had known that I would've requested. As a active person, its hard to sit around and walking around with cast and crutches.

...well I'm into my last week before I take my 3rd and final cast off next Wednesday. It has been a long journey to recovery and still a long way ahead with a walking boot for who knows how long but hopefully soon. I have been pretty antsy myself and been walking with my cast off and on and even played on court with it but just standing. I had to before I go insanity. Foot feels okay but noticed I've been getting itchy around the achilles area. Btw....anyone recommend a good Achilles Tendon Athletic support? Just bought a Pentella Raise/Band for my knees to avoid any
    further injuries down the road. Don't have knee problems but at age 43 why take a chance.

Cheers,

11. William86_98

Student
    Hey,

glad you're recovering well. Doctor is critical in terms of achilles tendon recoveries. I learned that the hard way. I actually tore mine the second time AFTER I had done physio..and the doctor told me I was good to go play a little bit. Then...took one step back while doign a clear....and popped again...

apparently..with the bledsoe boot, the process is much quicker..and i was actually told that i didn't require physio the second time. but of course..it's nice to see one to help with recovery of muscle memory and strength.

one thing you might try that a doctor told me...(and I regret not doing it more..cuz i can see it make a difference) is to take vitamin E oil and to rub against the grain of your scar (from surgery). This well help to break down the scar tissue...and to allow for more flexibilility in your achilles later on. my scar runs down my achilles...so my "second" doctor told me that if the scar is left on, because the scar tissue is not flexible..it will hamper my overall flexibility in that foot. So, if you are in the same situation....u can try that.

and yeah....i've been through the itching..i was so desperate that I resorted to sticking a 30cm plastic ruler down the cast..........bad memories.....i remember the first time i cheated and walked on my cast was when i went to a buffet restaurant...and i didnt' realize any problem until i was at the food table...then i realized that i couldnt' carry the food....and two crutches at the same time......

terms of support...u can buy a spinco orthotic arch support...that will lessen the load.

12. Melodee

Melodee New Member

Apple store manager
    Hey,
    I completely snapped my achilles tendon 3 years ago, and am only just now going to try get back on the court, depending on how badly you tore it you seriously need to take longer off the court. It's an absolute nuisance but 3 years on now i feel ready to try jump around although i fear it happening again, don't think I'll ever feel pain like it again!! I came to this thread for a similar reason - to see whether it would be ok to return to the game... but I think only you can decide. Just take it steady

:)

If you want any advice on exercises or strengthening let me know, think I read almost every book possible :p

Take care,

Melo

13. William86_98

Student
    have you been active at all over the past 3 years though?

14. Melodee

Melodee New Member

Apple store manager
    well I had big black space boot and crutches for 9 months before I could hold my own weight without it, and that followed by not too far short on a year of regular physio. I was both a gymnast and improving at badminton at the time so the sitting down was killing me :p

Since then I've spent the last year and a half gradually taking longer walks, then cycling and now swimming and running too. It still doesn't feel as strong as it was before and at 22 Im too old for gymnastics :rolleyes: so after a few games against friends I feel ready to join a club.

So yeh I've been fairly active, it's just a beast to re heal :crying:

So i truly feel for Ziperat

15. Happy_Cdn

Happy_Cdn Regular Member

I completely tory my achilles tendon 2 years ago playing badminton & it took me over 1 year to recover and then I decided to take another 3 months to build up the strength before playing for badminton again.

Feel your pain!

16. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    Hey William,

When you mentioned rubbing Vitamin E Oil to against the grain of your scar, you mean over your scarf from left to right since your scarf is running up and down on the back of your leg....hope that makes sense...lol

Thanks,
    James

17. Ricky Saunders

Ricky Saunders Regular Member

Sorry to hear about your injury. I had a partial tear in 2008 and had to stop playing for 4 months. Had badminton "withdrawal symptoms" at first :). Had difficulty adjusting to life without my racket. Did upper body weightlifting and some cycling to keep fit.

When you tendon is stronger, you might want to apply a heat pack 2X/day (w/ your foot up on a chair) to speed up the healing. The doc explained that the achilles tendon is one of those "hard to reach places" for blood flow (the more blood flows to the injury, the faster it heals) - - the heat pack enhances the flow. It helped a lot - -maybe you could check with your doc.

18. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

i jsut had an exam on this stuff.
    see a physio and they'll get you back to activity under a year.
    you want to avoid sport. and strengthen your achilles by loading it progressively (exercises)
    if you just sit aruond and let it heal it'll take forever. you need to stress it when pain permits.

see a physio ^^

19. zipperat

zipperat Regular Member

Sports Instructor
    Been playing badminton for a couple of months but still feel uncomfortable wearing shoes. Still feel sore around the scar area. Don't know why its still feeling like this.
    Achilles feels tight after playing badminton. Tried to limit my front and back moment on
    the court. Lateral movement I'm okay. Thought my pain on my scar area around the achilles should be gone especially I'm on my feet all day at work. Itchy and feels like my tendon is tearing. Does anyoe have this experience?

Cheers

20. Happy_Cdn

Happy_Cdn Regular Member

It happened to me too. The tendon felt a lot more "thin" and that it would be easier to break. It wasn't itchy but it felt quite tendon and quite hot after a short work out. My surgeon said it was still healing and to avoid sudden acceleration/deceleration ... chasing for the bus, etc.

So I took it easy and took a year off the court - didn't want my instinct to dart to the birdy to take over. I did a lot of the physio excercises over + over.

It's been 3 years and i don't think my leg is 100%.