3x21 rally vs. 3x15 service vs. 3x15 rally scoring system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, May 19, 2009.

?

which scoring system do you prefer?

1. 3x15 old, service scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3x21 current, rally scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 3x15 rally scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

In the current Rally scoring system to 21 there is a break at 11 points. So theoretically play could be best of 5 to 11. This would create more pressure points of interest for the spectators. This would reduce the potential number of rallies by 20 when compared to 21 points scoring (best of 3). but it is much more than comparing to RPS to 15 points best of three sets.

Current situation RPS to 21.

1st set 21-19
    2nd set 19-21
    3rd set 21-19

This equates to 120 rallies with breaks at 11 points. Only 3 real pressure points at game/match points.

Best of 5 to 11

11-9, 9-11, 9-11, 11-9, 11-9. This equates to 100 rallies with 5 pressure points and no need for extras drinks breaks or towelling down.

3 to 15

15-13, 13-15, 15-13 = 84 rallies. When would it be proposed to have towelling down break or drinks?

I haven't included extended play above but would still be 2 clear points.

The over-riding comparison with Tennis is that the server has a huge advantage. The spectators interest is maintained at crucial break points etc. In badminton the serve isn't a high advantage to exploit and this to my experience is proved at club/county level where the majority of points won are when receiving! Has anyone done any analysis of actual points scored in the RPS? I would suspect that its fairly similar with points being scored most when receiving

2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Analysis in professional play I meant to refer to.

3. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    That's probably going to be as dumb as the 5 X 7 scoring system. I don't know why BWF bothers to shorten the matches. The matches doesn't really get over 30 min mark until it gets to the quarter finals.

If I was the sponsors, I would pull out my sponsorship if it's that short. When you sponsor, you want exposure time. The longer the match, the more exposure you'll get.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    time for a poll. :)

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Well first of all , the person serving is supposed to have the advantage , because your opponent has to attack the shot , otherwise they will be in defense , and you are already in defence. So this leaves you with a slight advantage.

Reducing the points to 11 , will be a bit too short , I just think playing lots of mini games to a tiny amount takes away the momentum of the game etc.

Momentum is big in badminton rerember and big in tennis aswell.

I think that women should stay with the same amount as men for points.

I understand the benefits , because most people are interested in singles , due to their attacking play.

Women don't have enough stamina to hold a lot of attacking play as much as men - due to natural differences and their build.
    By reducing it , they could be more attacking , but what I would like to see is women on par with singles.

Why lower women compared to men , when you can raise them to the interesting male rallys.

Yip Pui Yin is the type of play I want to start seeing in Womens Singles. I believe Tine Rasumussen also has this sort of play. I always love watching the attacking play of these two players.

By the way if this sounds offensive to women , I don't mean to be , I',m just saying developing women players to get a bit more attack in their games.

6. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I don't think the motion will pass. That'd shorten everything TOO much. No more fun! ;O

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

:) This is going to be interesting!

8. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

a single tennis match between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer in the finals of Wimbledon 2008 took 4 hours and 48min.

a TEAM EVENT consisting of powerhouse china house and korea took slightly more than 3 hours. :D

duration isn't the problem here, commercial view is. :D

9. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Interesting point. Tennis does have the drama each time whether the server keep serve or break point.

Do you like the idea of a shorter women's game? Players would be more likely to attack more in a shorter game, right?

Amen! :D

10. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    BWF is such a wonderful organization and how they are able to understand that average people don't want to invest extra $$$ to buy another larger hard-drive(especially during recession period) only to store more badminton matches, so BWF decides to shorten the length of matches therefore keep the files smaller for all of us!!! Bravo to BWF!!!

By the way, here is my real response to the 15 point rally scoring system.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...1&d=1242492087 :cool:

11. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    To the best of my knowledge (brain currently melting due to exams ) , white is the easiest to see, followed by middle yellow. This is on a dark background ( ie. middle- dark blue) .
    If Blues Mats were enforced with white or yellow shuttles, this would provide the best contrast for the viewer. As to why the camera doesnt pick up the shuttle that well, im not so sure. It moves very fast for the first few metres and we're just used to tracking it immediatly. do people really think its a problem?

I would recommend better camera angles. Its getting better but still needs to be improved on. Maybe more cuts instead of the fixed camera behind the court all the time?

Shortening games would make us look ridiculous to the viewers, like some kinda of kids sport.

12. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I still prefer the 21 point system now..good to finish a game

13. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    old with 3 x 15

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    15 points rally scoring poll: Will vote after testing it out

Will vote after testing it out. :)

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Time for..

..how about this new scoring system is tested @ the upcoming Bay Area Corporate Badminton Challenge??..whaddaya say, kwun??:confused:
    Now, who was the one person who voted for the 3x15 rally scoring system?? was that Mr. T??..:confused:

#55 ctjcad, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think u r not too far off. My gut feel is that BWF is penny pinching, again. U see, top notch feather shuttle prices keep climbing. Players are changing shuttle alot frequent too. Every tournaments cost them a bundle. i bet they saved alot of $$ by dropping the OSS already. If 15 point rally is adopted, BWF would save another 30% in shuttle cost from the 21 pt system.

lets take this Sudirman Cup, i counted 347 matches played.
    Assuming 2.5 games/match, and 1 doz/game
    ~867 doz of AS50 consumed. Assuming 30USD/doz, this comes to $30k in birdies. For the 2009 AE, 247 matches played, at 33 USD/doz, cost come to ~20k. These estimates didn't include extra shuttles for practices and provision for different shuttle speeds. BWF's bookkeeper must be :crying::crying::crying:his head off:D Name me a racket sport or any sports, where the balls used in a tournament cost almost as much as the prize money.

#56 cooler, May 20, 2009
  17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    will this vote goes to BWF? :D

3X15 rally point. maybe we can see the scoring of 15-0, 15-1 again in future. ;)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Not easy to be scoring 15-0, 15-1 with this new rally point scoring system

For the old (score when serving) scoring system, it happened at times before.
    But it's not likely to happen with this new rally point scoring system. ;););)

#58 chris-ccc, May 20, 2009
  19. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    current rally scoring, if there are matches that with 21-3, 21-4. points difference will be 18 and 17. to have 15-1, 15-0 is not that easy but still have the chances to happen. then, we truly can say "chris@ccc whitewash drifit" :D

20. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

I vote for 3x21 current, rally scoring. 3x15 rally scoring is too short