Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex (TFCC) Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by MikeJ, Jun 13, 2006.

1. thrice3990

thrice3990 Regular Member

i've had a tfcc tear in my wrist for up to about 8-9 months now. Haven't played much badminton since....kinda depressing really..

2. wendyhoward

wendyhoward Regular Member

Certified Hand Therapist
    TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex) treatment

Aloha All TFCC sufferers,

The best way to determine if you have a TFCC injury is by performing the weight bearing test found at www.wristwidget.com. Here you will see the research supporting the test and be able to define the extent of your injury. Remember to test the good wrist first and get a good control. Also- it is important to test it using a non digital scale.

Once you have determined that this test is painful and recaptures your pain (go slowly) then you can apply tape to the wrist- use non elastic tape and ensure that there is no compression to the ulna head. If this increases your weight bearing tolerance, then the wristwidget is the right treatment.

Because this is an injury to the TFCC- a small ligament which attaches to a cartilage, it takes a long time to heal. Rest assured though, it will heal!

This treatment should be continuous and for the length of time required to obtain pain free and normal weight bearing. It can take up to 12 weeks to heal. Each week, you can retest your weight bearing with the splint on, and watch it progress.

The prognosis decreases if your weight bearing is under 40 lbs and you have had the injury for more than 6 months. Give it a try and let me know what you learn.

Remember that the body has an amazing ability to heal. Listen closely to your symptoms, and if the weight bearing test does not improve with the splint, this is not the injury.

All the best to you. With Warm Aloha,

Wendy Howard, OTR, CHT, Clinical Research Coordinator.

visor likes this.
  3. Darkenesse

Darkenesse New Member

hm... i have a somewhat curious case. Since the start of my badminton career, (approx. a bit more than one full year ago) I have had a little bit of wrist problems. At first, there is no pain; however, after a session of play, my wrist would hurt when I move it in a circular motion. As time passed, the pain lessened, until there was virtually no pain at all. However, I noticed that every time I move my wrist from side to side, there is a noticable clicking noise. This clicking also occurs when I rotate my wrist, although not as strongly.

Is the clicking supposed to be there? As I have said, I experience practically no pain at all anymore, not even when I try to lift heavy objects.

Curiously, though, I have never experienced any swelling of any sort. When I do not play badminton, it is usually fine.

any ideas/thoughts on my predicament? should I perhaps see a doctor? thanks.
    Also, this has been going on for at least 10 months, so...

4. wendyhoward

Certified Hand Therapist
    tfcc and clicking.

Your symptoms are very normal for someone with a mild tfcc injury BUT the only way to know is to do the weight bearing test. Test it and get back to me...

Wendy

5. Darkenesse

Darkenesse New Member

hm, my findings are somewhat strange... for my -uninjured- left hand, the weight bearing is limited to approx. 75 lbs, with minimal pain (some pain from the stress imparted on the hand from pushing hard downwards, no doubt). However, when I tried the test with my "afflicted" hand, the weight tolerance actually rose. It was in the mid to high 80's, much to my surprise. There even wasn't that much pain, not too much different from my left hand.

The strength of my right hand is obvious; I use it much more than my left hand, and therefore it is stronger. However, it may be because my "injury" was so long ago that the pain aspect of the injury is gone. However, the clicking remains....

any thoughts on this matter?

6. wendyhoward

Certified Hand Therapist
    Ok so if your weight bearing and grip are normal, you have no pain, and report a clicking only--- I am curious if you simply have a muscle tightness in the ecu. Check your forearm to see if the muscle is tender to touch or sore. I would look a lot more closely at the dynamics of the pinky- see if it too is tight into flexion. A keen eye to the fine details will help you understand what is going on. compare clicking noise when the fingers are spread apart vs when they are touching. Compare the motion of the wrist in all directions with the other wrist.

let me know what you find.

wendy

7. Darkenesse

Darkenesse New Member

well, it isnt as if there is NO pain at all... not any noticeable difference between the two hands when I tried the weight bearing test. Also, what do you mean by "too tight into flexion?"

My forearm does not feel sore or tender to the touch, and the wrist is able to move in all directions, just like the other hand can. The only difference is the clicking sound, a bit of light pain sometimes when it clicks.

thanks for your replies ^^

8. wendyhoward

Certified Hand Therapist
    Clicking in wrist

Darkeness,

It is hard to describe this in words. I need to post a Youtube video on this issue. Please forward me your phone number to info@wristwidget.com and I can try to explain over the phone. Just remember that the clicking complaint is not consistent amongst sufferers. People with acute tears have no clicking, people with no tears have clicking. It is worthy of further investigation.

Reread my email and see if you can come up with some other questions..

Aloha,

Wendy

9. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

@wendyhoward thanks for all the advises you've been sharing with us here at BC you've been a great help for us with this kind of injury. However i'd like to consult to you about my wrist's latest condition. You see it has been more than a year since i had this injury and fortunately i feel it has healed already. But like what the others say here that whenever i rotate my wrist i feel and sometimes hear a clicking sound. Although i don't feel any pain anymore i"m still kinda worried that i'm not completely healed or my injury will come back. Please advise, thanks and God Bless!

#29 lorus_blue, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  10. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

I have a mild ulnar sided wrist pain and discomfort from backhand smashing too much and the pain only manifests under wrist supination and pronation (more so during supination) and not under the other wrist movements. The pain disappears if I squeeze the joint or pull the hand away from the joint and my wrist is quite thin and weak at the joint. In the weight bearing test it's hard to tell if the pain is there because of the normal discomfort from compression of the wrist. Does this sound like a TFCC injury?

11. Bkmz

Bkmz Regular Member

Did a stupidest smash in my entire life, the one I shouldn't be taking and not in the place I aimed.

Click-and-pain, no swelling, major relief after 3 days, but that's it, can't play/smash anymore.

Gosh I'm happy I've found this topic, just the single taping made it quite comfortable to live)

Attached Files: