badminton videos

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by han1103, Jan 29, 2004.

1. han1103

han1103 Regular Member

software engineer
    I downloaded some MPEG badminton videos from badmintongallery.com. But several files are over 700MB which is the limit of regular CD. I would like to put the huge files to a CD so that I can watch it on TV and free up space in my hard drive.

Does anyone know if there is a software to break a MPEG file to 2 files? If there is one(and I believe so), I can put the file in 2 CDs.

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The Elecard MPEG2 player has an option that allows you to do this.
    I have used it and had no problems.

3. han1103

han1103 Regular Member

software engineer
    That feature for Elecard is not free. Is there a freeware for that?

4. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

if the file is mpeg1 then burn it as vcd, if the file is mpeg2 then burn it as svcd. i would assume that files of those sizes would have been properly encoded to one of those formats, otherwise there wouldn't have been any point in encoding files that big. these formats don't have error correction so a 700mb/80min cd can store about 800mb of video. use Nero to burn vcd/svcd.

5. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i believe videos in badmintongallery are divx encoded. normally, you can fit 1 file thats around 730mb more or less into a 700mb cd. use nero to burn them.

6. GarlicJoe

GarlicJoe Regular Member

Drone
    No, swijaya's videos are MPEG1 encoded. I know that he recommended DivX and Realplayer/quicktime or such to play them back optimally but those codecs aren't needed for those vids, playback is possible in windows by default. The videos are rips from DVD so it's not too surprising if not all of them are made to fit on a CD-ROM.

Use TMPGEnc (http://www.tmpgenc.net) to cut MPEG1-videos. You could also check the download page on www.doom9.org for MPEG splitting utilities.

7. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Han,
    The simple software is Zealot All Video Splitter.

8. han1103

han1103 Regular Member

software engineer
    Thanks for all your replies. There are so many options I got in such a short time period. I tried http://www.tmpgenc.net and seems it's free and working.

It's a wonderful forum for baddy fanatics.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Just as a matter of interest, just a few years ago HK movies

were sold as SVCDs ie Mpeg1 on 90 min cdrs.

Nowadays the 90 min cdrs seem rare, the standard being 700 MB 80min.

Pity as 90 min would be just nice to record TV programs as mpeg1.

SVCDs are not to be confused with Super vcd the latter actually means

Mpeg 2 with a resolution close to DVD.

The Supervcd was invented by China scientists to circumvent Western paranoia

on video duplication , thats why the emphasis on the very difficult to duplicate DVD.

Thats what I read from some sites, of course DVD have more "value", but the real question is why no market fr larger capacity cdrs ?

10. tropicalmouse

tropicalmouse Regular Member

Student
    There's this program that comes with Windows XP (not sure of other OS's) called Windows Movie Maker.

You would be able to split the file with this and it's very easy to use.

11. GarlicJoe

GarlicJoe Regular Member

Drone
    Hi,

just to remove any confusion, as it seems to be rampant here at times: ;)

VCD = Video CD, MPEG1 max 1500kbps (MPEG1 video, CBR-only @ 352x288 | MPEG1 audio, 44.1KHz)
    SVCD = Super video CD, MPEG2 max 2600kbps (MPEG2 video, CBR-only @ 480x576 | MPEG1 audio, 44.1KHz)
    DVD = Digital versatile disc, MPEG2, max 15Mbps (MPEG2 video @ 720x576 | MPEG1 audio, 48KHz)

In NTSC-land, replace 576 and 288 lines with 480 and 240 lines respectively.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I have yet to purchase/use a standalone DVD recorder as I have reservations about the format war and also China's determination to set a new DVD standard of their own to avoid paying royalties to Japanese corporations to use DVD machines.

Question to owners of DVD converter owners, can DVDs recorded from TV be duplicated as easily as vcds?or maybe only in future?Important as I may be receiving

DVD s recorded from Tv and may want to make back-ups.I may even want to have a DVD recorder to save space and maybe enjoy higher resolution.

I have been to VCDhelp.dvdhelp etc but have not got a straight answer and can only see somre reference about rippers etc etc.

13. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Re: -

In the UK, 800mb cd's are quite easy to buy. At my local store they sell 48x 99min/900mb, however, they cost £12 per 25 disc pack; whereas 48x 80min cdr's only cost £7.50 per 25 disc pack. Perhaps few are willing to pay the extra amount for such a relatively small increase in capacity; I think some of the older CD-writers can't burn 99min cdr's, and it's an extra hassle to those who don't know much about computers to set up the software for overburn - there's more to go wrong on a 99min cdr, since the tracks are placed closer together. link to buy 99mincdrs

Bbn, as far as I know, the latest PC Dual Format DVDR's can, with the right software, copy anything pressed or burnt onto DVD (just burn to 2dvds for Dual-Layer). By a standalone DVD recorder, I presume you mean a home DVDR and not a DVD duplicator; the only problem with copying DVD's with a home DVDR anyone has mentioned is the Macrovision copyright protection, which can easily be removed by using cheap devices such as Macro Master Pro from Sonel.com

Try dvd digest for more info about formats etc. http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Thks Yonex fan,

I am one of those who dislike meddling with PCs.

"I,ve tried for eg.countless software on creating MP3s etc and am tired of

the many conflicts in matching sources with final results.

I guess from what you mentioned that it is a matter of time b4

one can buy a commercial device that has a DVD player as well as a DVD copier

on the same machine, just like computers with read and write drivers, but with all

software built in without having to fiddle with tons of software . I wonder who is

making money from all these.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

History Repeats Itself

Read today that in 70s when Sony invented Betamax video recording,

the entertainment industry wanted to ban it.This then became the Betamax test

case for copyright infringement. VCd never had the protection devices DVD has,

but now there seems to be Software like 371 Studios and CSS to copy DVD movies.

Is it possible one day that DVD will become just like VHS or VCD in future, easil

y duplicated? (Shudder). What then is the point of having DVD, is the resolution

really better

or is the perceived added features real value?

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Still learning

today I tried to do a back-up of what is called a HDCD (28 tracks in 1 cd)

to 700mb discs.

The sound tiurned out like crap.I think it is because they really squeezed tracks together in the 90 min hdcds.

then I tried to do back-ups of a few 90 min HK movie SVCDs,

and discovered they could not be copied because they were "streams "

and needed tedious encoding to mpeg2 first.Not to count the no. of coasters built-up.

No wonder the 90 min stuff flopped.

Am I doing sth wrong?

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

And also friendly advice to those thinking of converting your vhs to

cdr/dvd and throwing the tape away.

I have cases of pricey cdrs with dye peeling off at edges/rims of discsafter a year.

And also videotapes which have lasted for more than 20 years in impecabble

condition.

18. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    While we're on the subject of making video discs, conversions....

Are there any decent, cheap hardware DVD players with DivX/Xvid (MPEG-4) compatibility that are recommended? When I say cheap, I mean in the ~$100 or perhaps slightly higher price range. I know there aren't too many Divx-supported machines yet, but I think they will catch on in the immediate future as Divx can show near DVD quality with only 1/10 file size. One other question is can all the Divx-supported machines play other MPEG-4 compressed files such as Xvid?

Anyhow, I searched on www.dvdrhelp.com and found a list of 100 or so Divx-supported players but most are just too expensive (for me, at least!) and are probably not available in my area.
    Can anybody recommend any good shops (can't find anything online at Futureshop, etc) to look around for such machines in the Edmonton, AB area??

Thanks.

19. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

liteon has one being sold by tigerdirect for around $100...
    but beware it has problems! (well, some users found so anyway.)

20. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    ^
    Online shopping..... yuck!!:D :D