Philippine Open - I witnessed some underhanded moves

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009' started by vip_m, Jul 3, 2009.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

Players that are in the higher level know how to keep focused and not let anything distract and disrupt their game plan. Raising hands might be a tactic, as well as mopping the floor (can do it with your own towel), raising fists, shouting... And there many more things a player can do to distract the opponents. You may call them 'underhand moves', others may call it match experience. ;)

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah...

..that's what i thought also, both sides were set but then the "hand up" motion occurred.
    Another technical question, if you recall. Were the players raising their hand while the racket was already in motion? Or just before the server pulled back/start the backward motion of the racket?

3. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

they raised their hand just a split second before the backward motion of the server's racket or just when he was about to serve. i witnessed it too. i was there on court side. :cool:

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

In that short youtube clip on the 2007 HKO MSF, it's interesting to note that LD took a long time to recover (still does) and get ready for the next serve whenever he lost a point.Among the delay tactics he used (and still does) were asking for floor mop,towelling without permission (of course) and walkabout (before LCW's last serve.)
    Sure, players that are in the higher level know how to keep focused and not let anything distract and disrupt their game plan. But isn't 2007 HKO MSF the match where LD was so bothered by officials' plastic tags that he insisted that those distracting things be hidden? It was so funny the crowd had a good laugh. Apparently it never even occur to LCW that those could be distractions.So are you implying LD 's not higher level player? That must be a first in badminton history. It hasn't bothered LD since.
    In LCW's final serves, LD did indicate he was ready to receive but was smart enough to 'let' because he was not ready to return well. Now, that's match experience.
    Using non-badminton tactics may seem clever and is largely a CHN trademark. Some others like KOR and DEN exhibit them but not consistently like CHN. I don't remember INA (and MAS) using such.
    I can understand why CHN engages in it. It is because CHN has to win but CHN's not confident enough to win playing pure, clean badminton. The rate at which CHN employs such tactics, if the umpires do their job, CHN would lose most matches because their players have been conditioned to win matches with gamesmanship as part of their game.
    Ultimately, the truth will catch up on them. Sooner rather than later.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It's good to know you have brought this to BWF's notice.
    Would you kindly provide the address so others can do the same. If many raise the same issue, BWF's more likely to look into it.

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Good luck with your theories, I do hope your MAS can win some more if they same be smarter and learn these tactics.

7. markchan

markchan Regular Member

IMO, I seriously hope that the other teams will wise up and give CHN a taste of their own medicine...:mad:

8. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

9. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I suggest you go watch tournaments live for you to be in a position to make harsh comments. Or maybe you are the mind reader:mad::mad::mad:

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    frog inside the well will say the sky just as small as the well;)
    so,let it be

#50 limsy, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  11. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

You're absolutely right!!!!:D

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor

I will vouch for this. I was seated directly behind the players, so I have a clear close-up view (with me as a background view on TV during service if I may add :p).

This happened several times.

- Both the server and receiver acknowledge that they're ready.
    -The server looks down at the racket, ready to hit the birdie, with no full vision of the receiver.
    -The Chinese raises his/her hand up just when the server was about to release the shuttle, giving the server no time to stop his/her racket swing.
    -The umpire calls a let.

The first 2 calls are acceptable. But it could be annoying after several occurrences.

I was there. People who watched it live on TV couldn't get a complete view of the receiver and server.

#52 venkatesh, Jul 5, 2009
  13. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    The World Badminton Federation replied to my email reporting the incidents:

"Thank you for the feedback.

The BWF will review the referees report once this is submitted - and refer
    your comments to the Technical Commission.

Kind regards

Stuart Borrie
    Secretary General
    Badminton World Federation"

For those who also want to complain, here's the link to their contact emails:

http://internationalbadminton.org/form.aspx?id=1895

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it seems your belief say distractions apply to everyone equally, what kind of fantasy is that? If u want an example, there are certain images that may distract me but would not distract u....;)

So what the audience chuckled at LD's request for covering up reflective badges, LD got the last laugh when LCW had to serve 3 times and he gets to bury LCW on the match point. The audience laughed at that too.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#55 cooler, Jul 5, 2009
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i didnt say i was a mind reader or who was ready or not ready to serve or to receiver. Did i? i did say that receiver readiness take priority.

Problem is, just because u were there watching it, but do u understand all badminton rules and laws before condemning people left and right?

17. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I never claim to know all the badminton rules, I'm was just reacting to the harsh comments you post. My only point was that you always argue with people who actually saw the incident and you were not even there. :rolleyes:

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Dear All Anti-Cooler,

You can't blame this fellow 'cos he is a Lin Dan fan. Lin Dan is a good player but very poor sportsman. Remember when he lost to LCW in KK when he was leading 20-13 in the rubber, He refused to accept the head gear presented to him. (Maybe someone could post the clip here). Yeah, I agree with pjswift that he is always delaying the opponents serve whenever le loses a point.

On another note, imagine how fustrating it would be to serve all 21 points to an opponent who always raise their hands to disrupt you????

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no,we are not anti cooler
    we just voice out our disagree;)

20. viver

viver Regular Member

Sorry, I did not watch that match but the question is, was Lee Chong Wei affected by the things Lin Dan did? I suppose a player of Lee Chong Wei's experience and ability will not let these things distract him from his game.

I feel funny when comments like China does this because they want to win. I would like to ask, who does not? Raising the hand tactic was not exclusive of Chinese players and neither did China begin with it. Please go back and watch the 1994 Uber Cup final match between Zhang Ning and Mia Audina and then let me know who consistently raised the hand to indicate was not ready to receive.