Philippine Open - I witnessed some underhanded moves

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009' started by vip_m, Jul 3, 2009.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hahaha, u r still bitter over the hat thing? lol.
    Yup, the secret of winning and domination by Lin Dan is out, he use delaying service tactic. lol

freelast, i think u got the real sentiment now. Someone who replied with the reason of 'supporting the underdogs' is just a politically correct assumption. ;)

#61 cooler, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I remembered 2007 HKO well, Lin dan beat taufik and LCW in the same tournament, silencing all those anti-LD people once again. Our very own photographer was there too:)

#62 cooler, Jul 5, 2009
  3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    and many remember that how lcw been rob in the co07 and hko07 final;)
    vs bcl in co07 final and ld in hko07 final:rolleyes:

#63 limsy, Jul 5, 2009
  4. headphones

headphones Regular Member

Typical LYB-style tactics. Why is anyone surprised by this? :confused:
    The OP is right, every win by Chinese team is always tainted by some underhanded de facto cheating. For shame.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

In 07 HKO MSF, LD was leading 20-14 in the rubber set, do u think LCW is gonna pull another come from the dead comeback like in 06 MO, especially LCW is not in home soil??? Aren't u asking too much from your hero lcw?:p

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm,go back and watch the video again:rolleyes:
    lazy to argue on the same ancient issue
    seem like u have forget what happen in 2nd and 3rd set;)
    erm,lcw is my hero?what a joke
    go and see my bc profile
    i like others more than lcw

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

sorry, i only recall good memory from the 07 HKO:)

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    just like the king with his new clothes:D
    good
    may u live in a happy world;)

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

No, it's not a good idea to adopt CHN's gamesmanship. Non-CHN players have the class and have been able to defeat CHN ones inclusive of their non-badminton tactics. Gamesmanship is not illegal. How much CHN can get away with rests with the umpire. But when a player employs it, he is indirectly indicating his opponent is playing better or superior to him,that's why he needs 'extra weapon'.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

To suggest CHN played crooked because others gave the idea first does not reflect well on CHN. You mean CHN has no sense of discretion and are all too ready to adopt bad habits researched from history?
    I agree with you everyone wants to win. The difference is CHN wants to win at all costs ie even with dishonour.
    The current complaint is not about the hand tactic as per Mia Audina. The difference is when the hand was raised. In Mia's case, it was before ZN served. In PO09, it seemed the hand was raised while serve was in motion and the umpire's attention would be on the server and not the receiver. Some call it cheating, I see it as dishonourable but CHN may think of it as clever.
    Since this new hand tactic was not limited to one CHN player, it seems to have been taught systemwide and exclusive to CHN.
    I respect our Filipino friends for their strong sense of fair play.(Maybe if they had been courtside at HK07, LD might be perceived to have used the same tactic, so it's not new.)
    Well, standards of fair play vary with the crowd. It may be highest with PO, then FO and maybe SO. The AE crowd couldn't care less, that's why CHN treated them to some funny matches.

11. headphones

headphones Regular Member

Well said! Personally, no player under the LYB era have shown to be particularly outstanding in their own right without the malicious tamperings (e.g. match-fixing to help Lin Dan win the gold at OG2008) that have so unjustly plagued this beautiful game.

When the moment of judgment comes, all becomes clear. CY/FHF had no help, and thus lost tamely, and rightly so, to the superior MK/HS in OG08. I dare any pro-LYB/pro-CHN to challenge my claim: every final won under ANY of LYB's lackeys have always been superceded by some sort of tampering, be it match-fixing or this disgusting service interruption tactic.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..thank you both for sharing that account.
    "Release the shuttle"? Meaning just when the racket is about to hit the birdie?

So, i take it, the "hand up" motion occurred between when the server started his/her racket's backward movement and just before the racket's forward movement?
    If that is so and venkatesh mentioned the umpire called a "Let", then the Umpire made the correct call (based also on the earlier given BWF rule). In this case, the receiver simply wasn't ready, despite his/her apparent or assumed intention to disrupt the server.

See rule 14.2.1, below, taken from the BWF Laws of Badminton:
    14. LETS
    14.1 ‘Let’ shall be called by the umpire, or by a player (if there is no umpire), to halt play.
    14.2 It shall be a ‘let”, if:
    14.2.1 the server serves before the receiver is ready (Law 9.4);

And what does Law 9.4 state?
    9.4 The server shall not serve before the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall be considered to have been ready if a return of the service is attempted.

Is that so called "hand-up" motion illegal? Personally, i don't think so. Is it considered "undue delay"? Now, that is an open debate based on one's interpretation..

#72 ctjcad, Jul 5, 2009
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LOL, that's easy quiz because your accusation contain no substance
    So when china doesn't win, it was a fair match. LOL

take 2009 sudirman cup, china clean sweep them all.
    fu/cai beat kkk/tbn and lyd/jjs without any help.
    LD beat them all without chen jin, bcl or anybody's help.
    in XD, a last moment of change in lady partner still won.

please point out where the chinese team won because of your alleged bad doing..

#73 cooler, Jul 5, 2009
  14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Like I said, if I were the umpire, I would have also called it a let. The second time it happens, I would warn the receiver to be prepared once he's already acknowledged that he's ready. But done more than thrice, it would appear to me as a delaying tactic or a distraction. Isn't there a rule about distraction and delaying tactics?

15. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Detailed description of how the "hand" tactic was being done

So that everyone will be on the same page, I'll describe in detail here what I witnessed with my own eyes:

1. Chinese player and opponent adjust themselves for the servce, with opponent serving. The Chinese player sets his feet, the opponent also takes on serving stance.

2. Opponent prepares to serve: holds shuttle, sets up racket to hit serve. At this time, Chinese player seems ready to receive.

3. Just when opponent is about to serve, suddenly Chinese player puts hand up.

4. From the expression of the opponent, you could clearly see they are irritated after having experienced this a couple of times in a row during crucial points.

I really felt sorry for Yip Pui--she was playing so well until Shixian started doing this.

Some may say, "winning is all that matters." Well, if you have any self-integrity or honor, then a win via these kinds of tactics is not very rewarding. You know at the back of your mind that you did something wrong and don't completely deserve the win. It's what sports lovers refer to as having an "*" (asterisk) beside your win--you may have won, but there's a shadow that clouds the win.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

wow, u are so bold and holy that now u extend your low blows to english fans as well. Way to go pjswift. You color is so so obvious - bash china players at all cost

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes, there are..

..but it's basically down to one's (the Umpire's) own interpretation. Read rule 16.4.2

http://internationalbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=11623

16.4 Delay in play
    16.4.1 Under no circumstances shall play be delayed to enable a player to recover strength or wind or to receive advice.
    16.4.2 The umpire shall be the sole judge of any delay in play.

16.6 A player shall not:
    16.6.1 deliberately cause delay in, or suspension of, play;
    16.6.2 deliberately modify or damage the shuttle in order to change its speed or its flight;
    16.6.3 behave in an offensive manner; or
    16.6.4 be guilty of misconduct not otherwise covered by the Laws of Badminton.

#77 ctjcad, Jul 5, 2009
  18. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thank you very much ctjcad for the reference.

Yup. That's why I said, "If I were the umpire ...," which makes it very subjective. Cooler and the anti-coolers :)p) may debate about this all day long, but it'll boil down to only one thing, that is, it's the umpire's call.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually CHN players used to be rather popular with the crowd here. That would be about CH's time. Maybe because of LYB's team strategy and how CHN won their titles, CHN started to lose credibility and respect .Worse still is the fact that LD's infamous behaviour in MO06 has been used as an example of poor sportsmanship in the schools here so he's well known,unfortunately in a negative way esp. by the younger generation. Maybe that's why LD had a frightening experience losing to unlikely Boonsak fully supported by the crowd.
    It's important that crowds show LYB's strategy as unacceptable as it is detrimental to badminton as a sport. CHN fans supported LYB because they said history only record titles, not how they were won. Problem is now CHN's titles get quizzed even when clean. There's a growing crowd that will back CHN's opponents. But CHN will not be without support because CHN fans are everywhere and very vocal.Even in Singapore, the CHN fans are loud enough to outdo the local crowd.
    However, personally I don't have problems with CHN nationals.They are everywhere now in Singapore. Some locals feel threatened but the CHN nationals do their work better and show better manners so the problem lies with some locals.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

sorry to crush your hope but readiness is a mental state, not a physical one. Since u keep thinking the chinese player was ready to receive, then i have to conclude that u r the blessed one as u can read minds. HALAHUA......You should apply for sainthood

#80 cooler, Jul 5, 2009