Storing Shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Sidesurfer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

This just proves my point. 60% RH at about 4 degrees C translates to a lower percentage RH at ROOM TEMPERATURE. i.e. things that are put inside the fridge will be dried up. If you want to rehydrate the birds, steam them. Those who live in humid places don't have to worry. They may actually have to keep them in the fridge so they don't get moldy!

#41 AKFT, Nov 30, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2002
  2. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Re: Proof that storing shuttles in the fridge makes sense

Interesting experiment. However you forget that the temperature outside your fridge is higher than inside, therefore water should always evaporate more quickly outside. Also even if the temperature is the same, then why would you have a fridge:) , there is more air movement outside the fridge also causing quicker evaporation.

Since the fridge is being opened at least occasionally the humidity should be similar. But if you kept it closed for a long time, maybe a few days, then inside the fridge should be less humid.

Oh yeah and QWERTY, you're in Manila, why on Earth would you have to worry about keeping your shuttles moist? You should be worried about them getting so wet the glue stops holding the feathers.
    :D

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i'm not entirely convinced by this experiment... why is my chicken always so dry after putting in the fride for a few days!!... i'd leave my fried chicken outside for a few days to compare if it didn't have so much "stuff" growing on it (dont think eating it is safe :rolleyes: )

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    WHAT?!

Shuttles is fridge? Toilet? This is the first! WHAT IS MY MUM GONNA SAY WHEN SHE SEES SHUTTLES WITH HER CHICKEN?! lol. Or in the toilet, for that matter.

5. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    The result really surprised me. I do not know what to say. Are you sure that you have just normal fridge without humidity control? I really cannot imagine how water can condense on fridge walls if there is not 100% RH. I have to think about it again. Finally constructive discussion. Thanks

6. trapped-never

Re: Re: Proof that storing shuttles in the fridge makes sense

Well if the fridge is closed then temperature nor the pressure changes. I do not understand why the humidity should change then? Any ideas?

7. trapped-never

I put humidity meter into the fridge yesterday. This morning it was 96%. Outside RH was 67%. I have very standard Electrolux ERE3000 fridge.

Again I do not know how to comment your result. Was your measurement device used inside recommended temperature range? Could you make following test to check if the device works correctly? Pack the sensor into the wet cloth or put it on the wet spongue. After some time (I guess 1 hour should be OK) the device should indicate 100% RH.

8. trapped-never

That was good one. I have one more idea. If you want to dry your laundry really fast hang it into the fridge :D .

9. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

TRAPPED:

You are so full of .............................. good ideas.

10. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

It would be interesting to see the difference of fridge vs. bathroom. Do you keep your bathroom door closed to keep the moisture in?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Unless the comparison is about the weight. For volumn, the one in fridge has some ice in it, and we know once water become ice, the volumn increases...

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are portable machines that humidify shuttlecocks when the court humidity is very low and dry. They are used in Japan. You just take the machine along with you and plug it into an electrical supply in the badminton hall. An equipment supplier in Hong Kong is considering bringing the machines from Japan, for the dryer winter months.
    However, Lam Fei, the doyen of Hong Kong badminton, suggests a more economical solution: on the night before you play, you fill a wide-enough glass with 1/2" to 1" of warm water and dip each shuttle into the glass, feathers into the water, and take it out immediately and rest the shuttle, with the feather side on a flat surface, and leave overnight. The cork and all parts that are glued must not be dipped into the water. When morning comes you just put all the shuttles back in the tube, and presto, the shuttles will not know what low humidity is.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I just steam my shuttles 2 days before they will be used......with a normal vegetable steaming pan :D Works fine - I can do six at a time, and they need only be in there briefly. I store them in my bedroom.

The only problem with this method is that I once forgot about the shuttles, and came back just in time to prevent the fire alarm from triggering. The water had all evaporated and the shuttles had burned. It was a horrible, horrible smell.

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Did you add mashrooms, vegetables, and some meat in the pan? :D:D:D

I hope the shuttle doesn't taste too bad :p !

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This goes to show what a little imagination can do wonders. It could be improved if you can create steam without the heat, as the glue in the shuttle doesn't like being softened too much.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes - initially I was worried about melting or softening the glue with heat. However, that does not seem to be a problem in practice. If the glue is softened at all, then the shuttle will still be destroyed before this becomes relevant. That is, the feathers always break before the glued supports come apart.

It's hard to measure (well, I've never bothered....) but steaming the shuttles does seem to prolong their life slightly.

#56 Gollum, Feb 6, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  17. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I'm grave-digging.

So is it a good idea to put shuttles in the fridge prior to playing with them?
    And for how long?

Kinda lazy and not wanting to do the steam method. If my wife saw me doing that...she'd want me to start cooking dinner as well. I'd rather not give everyone food poisoning.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    best method is to keep them in the bathroom. least work but only for medium to long term storage.

i haven't tried the fridge method.

but from previous discussion in this thread, the result/analysis seems inconclusive.

19. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I plan on ordering alot of tubes once I decide on the shuttle. Probably store them in the basement closet. I guess I can place a tube in the bathroom for a week (is that enough time?) prior to using them. Maybe I'll put a tube in the downstairs fridge and compare the results.

20. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I store my AS40's in the garage and that keeps them perfect :)

Another tip I have used in the past, boil a kettle of water, take both ends of the tube off and leave it under the steam from the kettle for about 1 min. Do this about 1 hour before playing with the shuttles, they will play optimally.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time.

#60 InvincibleAjay, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011