Flaxseed Oil (& essential fats)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Neil Nicholls, Jan 26, 2004.

1. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

haha, i think it was the vegetables that made me tall:D.

2. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    so i bought some of this stuff to try it out (in the capsules, not brave enough to try the oil). The bottle says to take 3 pills 3 times a day! That's a lot of pills! The Supplement Facts on the back of the bottle say that 3 pills equals one serving. And one serving has 1335 mg of Omega-3 and 388 mg of Omega-6. Is it really necessary for me to take 3 pills 3 times a day? (I'm asking more on the Omega-3 dosage, I got a big bag of sunflower seeds for the Omega-6)

Thanks
    Ruth

3. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I foolishly bought the oil instead of the capsules. Not the worst taste in the world, but at the same time its not something i would take at will. I have a slight gag reflex to it. THis thing only requires 1 tablespoon a day though. (Note that one table spoon seems really big when its full of oil)

One serving has--
    omega-3 : 7700 mg
    omega-6 : 2170 mg
    omega-9 : 2240 mg

#23 TrunkZ69, Jan 28, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Is it enough to get the capsule form of flax seed? I thought most of the essential chemicals would have been destroyed by heat and light... wouldn't processing raw flax seeds into capsule diminish the desired nutritional value?

Just went to my neighbourhood Save-On Food looking for raw flaxseed (not supplements) in vain:(. Will try other major supermarts, but may have to visit the higher priced organic food marts for it.

5. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Although this isn't on flaxseed, has anyone tried those "Omega Eggs"? Like i mentioned above, my mother is quite a health nut and therefore happens to buy these types of eggs for me and the rest of the family to eat. They don't taste any different, but I guess since they're an omega-3 source, i would assume there's some cardiovascular benefit with eating them.

6. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
  7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    rn't those eggs just eggs with eggwhites and no yolk? or is that some other ting? @@

8. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    They are eggs coming from chickens fed feed containing Omega-3 oils. Therefor the eggs contain Omega-3 fat.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Why not consume the omega-3 oil directly instead of taking it indirectly from 'omega-3 oil to chickens to egg' route? I can understand the eggs route if the chickens can somehow 'manufacture' more omega-3 in their eggs than they consume.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I am confused by this article. A lot of research about flaxseed being a cancer fighter has been carried out, including against prostate cancer. You can do a seach on 'flaxseed and cancer' and you will find countless reseach papers and studies that sing the praises of flaxseed.
    Alpha-linolenic acid (the good fatty acid), which is abundant in flaxseed, is one of the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, similar to those found in fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel. Alpha-linolenic acid has been shown to inhibit the metabolism of another fatty acid, linoleic (the bad fatty acid), which is believed to accelerate the pace at which certain types of cancer cells multiply. This "good fat" (alpha-linolenic) may also help reduce the risk of heart diesease and arthritis.
    Omega-3 from salmon and mackerel contains the same alpha-linolenic fatty acid as flaxseed. If alpha-linolenic fatty acid from flaxseed is a prostate cancer promoter, which I am doubtful, why is it that the same stuff from omega-3 oil from fish is safe?

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The doctor interviewed in the article said
    "..some scientific evidence has caused me concern about recommending flaxseed oil because it may accelerate the progression of prostate cancer. Fish oil, in contrast, does not seem to have this harmful effect on prostate cancer."

presumably it is not to do with the omega-3, but something that is in flaxseed oil that is not in fish oil.
    Or maybe even something that is in fish oil, which is not in flaxseed, that makes the fish oil work differently.

"May accelerate the progression of..."
    So if you've got prostate cancer, don't take flaxseed oil. Just in case.
    And if you don't know if you've got prostate cancer, but live in a society where it's on the increase, don't take flaxseed oil. Just in case.

P.S.
    [grumpy mode=on]
    don't drive a car, don't ride a motorcycle, don't do exercise, don't eat this, don't eat that, etc, etc, just in case. Because recent studies may have found a link between being alive and getting old and dying.
    [grumpy mode=off]

12. ptang777

ptang777 Regular Member

You must be a programmer!:)

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

yes, but not http, hence lack of [/xxx] to end the tag.
    and I was having a brainstorm and couldn't find the <> brackets.
    my profile would be a giveaway in that area also
    :p