My 6 points Gamma X-2

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ilovedude, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    ILD, thanks again. How do you like the Gamma's dropweight tensioner? Is it easy to use and gentle on string? Have you checked the tension with an electronic calibrator?

2. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

I like it except pulling the first one of the left on the throat 'cause the shaft is touching the tensioner which makes it quite messy.
    As I replied to your same question, I don't intend to calibrate the tensioner.
    For a lever mechanism as explained by Jerky it is simply a result of displacement X weight, period. The weight is always a constant nothing will change its physical property, and this is simple physics. I use my 0.00mm caliper (usd300.00) every day and the other QC guy uses 0.000mm caliper because of their job. An electronic tension calibrater ($?) do you calibrate it every 3 months ? A badminton racquet is for recreation for general players. What is the importance about 1 or 2 lbs differences. 24 lbs will make you a winner whereas 23.5 won't ???? For a drop weight to set a round figure say 23 lbs for the main(OK it is easy but not accurate)according to your precise calculation the cross is 25.3 lbs, oh you will need a digital measuring tape to find the precise position to lock the weight @ 25.3 lbs. After you string your racket then then next week it lost 0.327lbs do you restring ???
    I am human and I love badminton. Stringing gives another level of enjoyment. I can live with the accuracy of my simple modified drop weight stringing machine. Again I will never calibrate it.
    If you want to know more about my modification please let me know.
    Good night.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The reason I ask is that another BF member has a Gamma drop-weight machine. The drop weight is accurate out to 28 lbs. Beyond 28 lbs the marking on the rod doesn't match what the calibrator indicates.

Another example is the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus drop-weight machine. From 16 lbs to 29 lbs marking, the calibrator indicates higher reading.

4. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    ILD, thanks for the pictures. Simple but very effective setup. I will now be on the quest for aluminum.

5. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

After stringing about 30 rackets, I observed 2 locations have the biggest movements when I am pulling the last 2 crosses and that is the 2 side corners of the head. I browsed through all the posts again and realized I have to modify the head piece, I added 2 semi rounded delrin plates just thick enough not to block the access to the string mounted close to those corners, they can be adjusted to accommodate different shapes of rackets (the one in the picture is a cab 20). Also I changed the original suspension mounting set up to the mounting down and now the racket mounted would be solid as rock.
    Cheers

6. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Sorry, here is the picture.

7. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Hope this works.

8. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

I have to resize it and it works but not very clear.

Attached Files:

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Looks fantastic!
    Thank you for sharing your mods with us ILD, much appreciated!!

10. leavelet

leavelet Regular Member

Wow, that's a great modification, simple and yet effective. Just wonder is the metal aluminum or steel? And how thick it is? I may try to do something similar someday.

11. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

aluminum, 3/8" or 10mm thick.

12. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    ILD, I see you swapped out the side aluminum arms with delrin ones. How does the material take to screws? Did you tap the hole or use self tapping screws?

13. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

They take screws very well and I taped those holes.

14. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Thank you. That makes the job easier as I don't have means to cut or mill aluminum.

15. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

You are mostly welcome and I am glad you like my ideas.