Racket recomendation for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sanbo, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Sanbo

Sanbo New Member

I have been playing badminton for a few months now, and I can do all the basic things, so i'm not a total novice. But I have been looking at rackets even before I started playing badminton and I really don't know what to pick. I have been to stores to look at the selections of rackets. All I can seem to find are not very good rackets. I have always had an eye on Yonex rackets. Muscle Powers 2 and 3 seem to be okay for me. Then again, I haven't been playing long so I don't know weather I am an offensive or defensive player. I have gone out to play several times, and the place I play has mostly Asian players who seem to only have Yonex rackets, which is part of the reason I have had my eye on them. Then again, Yonex seems to make very good quality rackets, however I hear alot of users on this forum saying "Beginners shouldn't get Yonex rackets because they are too pricy." I don't really have a budget, meaning I will buy it even at high prices if it is right for me :). It would help if you guys could steer me in the right direction in a racket selection.

2. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    It just depends on which yonex racket you have that makes it pricey. You can get a good racket from yonex from 50-90$ easily. I've found that muscle powers are the best for beginners as well as a low end nanospeed. Do you plan on buying on a store near you or buying online?

3. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    At this point, it's probably best for you not to invest into something that is too head heavy or head light. a solid, even balance racket, that is on the medium to heavier weight class (2U or U) should be the best choice. I say a little heavier because a slightly heavier weight racket promotes correct and healthy wrist learning and swing motion.

I'd say go for the Zelm Power Play 9990. it's a decent value for its' price (around 100USD). it's a flexy racket that is i think 3U or 2U category. it feels really solid, and will last you as you move up in skill level. if you can find a choice between the two, perhaps you could go 2U...shouldn't make too much of a difference though...

but if you want to stick yonex...hmm...why don't you try out the Yonex Ti-10? it might be a little on the stiff side, but the great thing about this racket is that it can be used even as you progress in skill level.

whatever racket you choose, make sure you get a nice overgrip on it for control.

glhf searching!

4. BoyGenius

BoyGenius Regular Member

Employee
    Yonex TI-10 is a very good all-around racket and should be suitable for beginners. Few other Nanospeed series such as Nanospeed 500 or 800 are good as well. Alternatively, if you can find Yonex Muscle Power Limited around your area, that will make a very good starter racket with friendly price.

5. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    Forgot to mention, Muscle Power 99 would also do well, if you can find one. It's medium balance, solid racket, but flexy.

6. Sanbo

Sanbo New Member

Thanks for your suggestions! I looked at both the Powerplay 9990 and the Yonex Ti-10. They both seem very good. Altough I don't know any online retailers of the Zelm Powerplay 9990.... Also my friend gave me this red Yonex overgrip. Its sort of a squishy foam overgrip compared to the rubber-like overgrips I have seen other people use. I will still probably take a look at some other rackets. Thanks so much canti and DJ!

7. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Have you considered SOTX they have a racket for every player.

The one i would recommend if you can get hold of it is the Charm A-171 medium weight mid flex racket i started with it :) i used it for 2 years happily and it showed me what playing style/racket spec i like

Just a thought...

8. mokmatthew

mokmatthew Regular Member

It's just the rpoblem of ur budget..
    If u have a lot of money, then u can waste a bit to buy a NS9000S of Yonex.
    but if u do not want to spend too much, stay away from from Yonex becoz the low-end rackets of this company are really bad.

May be u can try Victor or SOTX or RSL