Have you guys ever "hit the wall" with improvement?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Aug 5, 2009.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

I think I'm going through that stage right now. I was training consistently but I've seen to have to little to no improvement. Coach says my techniques looks right haha. But now I'm going to start working on footwork and consistency. Have you guys ever went through a stage like this with little or no improvement? : ( What were your badminton skills like?

2. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

i think moving from intermediate to advance level play takes alot out of your time and physical ability, and in that phase(i belong here) u tend to hit plateaus in performance, but improvement is bound to come with proper and heavy practice and a LOT of hardwork

3. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

I'm sure natural aging will cause us all to hit a wall sooner or later.

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yup every badminton player who is undertaking training gets to this stage. It can be the defining point which seperates the potential star players from those who dont have much further to progress.

It all comes down to how much you want to improve and how hard your willing to work in order to get to the top. Pushing yourself to the limits and focusing on individual things will be the only way to move forward if you are at an advanced level looking to progress further.

goodluck :) keep your head up and work hard. No doubt youl start moving forward again soon.

5. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I theory is this. People tend to born with it. Like you are gifted to be this or that.
    Let's say you are gifted to be a good badminton player at "advance level" It takes you only 2 months to get to this level. But some other might be longer.
    But anyway that doesn't really matter.
    Right now you're might at the level where it so called the peak? i don't know where it already top where you are gifted. SO to ABLE to surpass this CRITICAL point you must train you rear end off to gain further, yet slowly. But with hard training you'll get to the point where shooo LIN DAN LEVEL? =)

6. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    sorry just to make sure, I theory is this = MY theory is this.
    Don't want my thread to sound all awkward =)

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I've been stuck at that stage ever since I started playing. :p

So where is it you see little to no improvement?

8. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Improving

See badminton is a very weird game actually, in order to be very good at this game it requires a certain mindset and a certain attitude. There is a formula for everything, wht ever you train,where it be speed,power,deception,mental there is a certain formula to use, and the difference between world players is that they have discovered how to train effectively to get wht they want out of wht their doing, there are many players who train like mad but dont go anywhere, so yeah this is a very weird game i cant tell you wht you need because every player must find this himself =) a simple question 'in order to be a champion wht do you need' this is the question misbun asks his students lets see who can answer.

9. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    In every type of sport, you need to set your mind set. First thing is do you really want to improve. It's not just badminton, Like billiard, I have to set my mind in getting better and so i got better within couple days =) (happy with that)
    anyway you need to set your mind. In badminton the important thing is eyes and hands coordination (if that's the word). So if you know you have a bad eyes and hands coordination, you should some how train that to be better.
    Personal experience, fps games =)
    then all other conditions, footworks, TECHnique, I don't know more i think...

10. pw2002

pw2002 Regular Member

I'm in this stage right now and the one thing that tends to help me a lot is cross-training. I added weight training, plyometrics and boxing to my workout regimen so my strength is much much better and my reflexes are faster.

You should remember that each time you train, you do get better even if it's just in small increments. The best way you can tell if you've gotten better or not is through social play: since I started intense training, I haven't lost a single social match. Try playing people you haven't beaten before and you'll see that you're beating them with ease now. ;)

ETA: Try two on one workouts at least once a week, where you play two guys simultaneously and try to win the point. It's a great mental and physical workout because you have to respond THAT much faster.

#10 pw2002, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  11. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Well yes you have to set your mind to be better, but in badminton people have different playing styles and etc so for each person its diff for example when you do a footwork excercise you should never loosen your legs you must try and hold it for as long as you can because if you loosen your legs when your tired you will improve no doubt but it will take a long time. and in the early stages of badminton hand and eye cordination is important, but later on its all actually a mind game, where to hit the shuttle basicly its a physical chess game. But speed,footwork, proper technique and deception are like the chess peices both sides must have them in order to play then the rest is in the mind.

12. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    i alway find it easiest to jump from the plateau when i move places. or play someone different.

when you are playing the same people you end up learning their style and learn their tricks. and you usually pick up good skills from them and improve you own game bit by bit.

i always feel badminton is as much a game of experience as well as your own individual skill.

so even if u train extremely hard, its never quite the same as match experience. obvious the 2 go hand in hand, but i think match experiences goes a long way. (i am assuming the player doesnt have any particular fitness issues tho:))

13. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I make many kind of method when hit the wall training , it can improve my performance ...

14. friendlyed

friendlyed Regular Member

Student
    I feel i have just passed this wall (for now), In my opinion as the saying goes you are your own worst enemy. If you want to seriously get better and get past this wall, you first have to know what you want and be prepared for what you have to do. Iv kind of worked up a bit of intensive training programme, and changed my diet to more fruit and veg etc. Its working quite well at the moment, although i monitor my training closely so that im not killing myself but also not going too easy. If a training exercise isnt going too well (find it too hard / too easy) i modify it and mix it or add to it. Google is your friend in terms of finding training programmes and your own dietary needs (and also this forum :D). Hope this helps

15. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

how depressing... ah well i guess we should enjoy it while we can.

16. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

some people don't improve because they play the same opponent(s) every time.
    This is bad, you know his/her game, and when you play against somebody else, you may have the wrong reflexes.

example: if the opponent you play against a lot smashes a lot, you might stand a bit too far back. and If the new opponent sees you standing so far back, he will take advantage of that.

The thing that helped me the most, but not everybody can do it, is to play against people that are better then you. I have the advantage, that there are some of the top 100 players of my country in my club. So i play with them.

Sure, i got my ass kicked several times with scores under 10, but keep doing it, and you will see you can keep up with their speed and pressure after a while, getting you scores like 12 - 17. This will also increase your confidence.

if you can't do this. you can also play against people of your level or that are worse, but then try to ignore your best weapon, like if you have a good smash, don't use it. and see if you can still win. This is a good way to train your deceptive and net skills.

2 more tips to improve your game:
    FOOTWORK FOOTWORK FOOTWORK... get that system in your body.
    the better your footwork, the faster you get to places, the more time you have to prepare your shot, resulting in a better shot.

and reflexes are also important to take advantage from other players "faults".
    like when you doing netdrops, and your opponent gives one back a little to high, tap that birdy to the ground! or when they do a deceptive move, and send you moving in the wrong direction, but the shot isnt very far from you, maybe you can reach it with your arm and hit it sooner then your opponent expected.
    you can train on this by literally "hitting the wall" take an old shuttle, and stand in front of a wall, and just keep hitting it. I have a brick wall, which is very irregular, so that even better to train you reflexes because you never know which direction the shuttle is coming!

so, maybe this will help, but it all takes a bit of time.

maybe somebody agrees or disagrees with me? please share your thought

17. Amin Khalili

Student
    so agreee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Chloe Liu

Chloe Liu Regular Member

Student
    make sense!!agree!!!!

19. Amin Khalili

Student
    BTW , it is more effective if you use a squash/tennins/heavy racket during the hit the wall training ..

20. Something

Something Regular Member

I heard wall training was actually bad for you. Since you might hit wrongly/bad habits and you dont know where the net is.