Cooling it down

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Wilson Shuttler, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Wilson Shuttler

Wilson Shuttler Regular Member

n/a
    in a few games, ive noticed, i get a little too excited and start getting muscle spasms. hence, my game suffers. any ideas to calm myself down anyone?

2. Wilson Shuttler

n/a
    something tom help me concentrate that i can do in the game (like when i put my hand up)

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    You have to have a rhythm in between play. Make the game run at your own pace. Normally after each point i do a 5-10 second walk around the court, wiping my sweat and taking a few deep breaths. (seems just like the pros do...but it really helps at all levels...and i dont just do it to look like Lin Dan or someone lol it slows you down and keeps you calm and consistant.)

Worst thing you can do is rush yourself purely because your opponent is in a hurry to play on. If the referee/umpire warns you then just cut down your walk around time by a few seconds. Every few points check the shuttle is ok and if you feel it needs to be changed theres no harm in asking...even if the umpire denys you to change.

Theres many ways you can approach it. But if your finding your getting too worked up and making mistakes its because your rushing and not doing anything to space your energy levels out and use them when they should be used.

If you cant control your body, you cant control the shuttle or the game ;)

4. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Well I love to get excited, I think it's personal prefence, I've never noticed my body messing up when I get excited, rather the opposite. I do notice my games suffer a lot when I get too emotional. But as for muscle spasms, it might be due to a poor warm up eh? But that's just my 2 cents

5. bradmyster

theres a difference between controlled energy and losing it. Its good to get excited during points and build your energy and fire up...but you need to keep it underwraps and use it when its crucial.

Get excited and pumped up!!! but learn to apply it ingame accordingly and youl achieve much greater results :D

6. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    brad: was actually wondering about the pauses and walking after a point. i play for university and as we all know, the professionals get a little walk around after every point, however, this may be due to the super intesive play. Is it 'allowed' to take a walk?

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    well said brad. I think those tips are very useful. I know for a fact that I often tend to get nervous playing people who I have the ability to beat but haven't so far. Getting too eager and excited means I play bad shots.

Controlling yourself definitely is important, if hard to do :p

8. Wilson Shuttler

n/a
    alrighty thanks (guys) ill be sure to try it out and hand in my responses! Thanks a lot!

WShuttler

9. bradmyster

yup its definately allowed in any competition even normal social training/playing.
    If it gets too exagerrated and is tremendously slowing down play then the umpires might get grumpy and give out warnings. But just a quick recap, wipe away your sweat and take a few deep breaths by all means is allowed in any competition.

;)

10. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

If you get "excited" to the point where you get "muscle spasms", I believe this is beyond normal stress-control problems. You most probably simply get too easily to the point where your body releases adrenaline, which might be the cause of this "loss of control" and those "muscle spasms". I'm no medical doctor, but I believe that usually, muscle CRAMPS can come from "normal" overstressed conditions and not spasms, unless we are not talking about the "spasms" I'm thinking about...
    Anyway, as bradmyster already said, nothing beats a few deep breaths to come back to your normal-calm self.

11. bradmyster

i dont think hes talking specifically about "he gets excited then his muscles start to spasm and he cant control it."

I think hes more or less saying he gets too excited, rushes and plays silly shots which he doesnt even know why hes playing them!!!
    EG. half court lift and instead of taking his time and hitting a basic smash nice and firm to end the point, he rushes does some stupid swing, and plays a shot into the net or hits it fast and hard to the point it travels out!!

just an example but i think thats more or less what hes talking about.

But yes if your actual muscles are having spasms/cramping problems then you should seek medical advice lol.