Yonex AT900P or AT700

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Dossier3, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Dossier3

Dossier3 New Member

Hi all,

I have been using Armortec (AT) series racquets for a few years now, e.g. AT500, AT700 (the original one :)), and the latest is Armortec 900 Technique for about one year or so.

~ My current favorite is AT900T with Nanogy 95 @ 24-lb ~
    ~ All Armortec racquets I have are 4U ~

I am more of an offensive player and I tend to play double. I am considering buying a new racquet and I think I have narrowed the choices down to AT900P or AT700. I am leaning toward AT900P a little more...
    1) Would it make sense to own AT900P given it's relatively similar to AT900T? AT900P should be a little more head-heavy, but will it be enough to be notable?
    2) My thought is to string AT900P with Nanogy 95 @ 22-lb or 23-lb, but I can't seem to convince myself fully since I already have AT900T with Nanogy 95 @ 24-lb...
    3) I have heard that 2007 AT700 is "better" than 2008 AT700 base on people's experience with both racquets. (They tend to like 2007's feel better...) Anyone has played with both?

Any suggestions and advices are appreciated.

Michael

2. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

hello,

I'm also used to the armortec series.
    And I'm playing with the at900 T too, I'm a singles player though.

But most reviews tend to say that the technique is better than the at900 power...

But the difference is marginal, becaue both rackets are really light and really good.
    the power has a bit more raw power, and is a bit harder to defend with. But if you have good wrist power and arm power, it should still be good enough for defence.

haven't played with the 700 yet, so can't help you with that.

I'm also in the mood to buy a new one, and also doubting between the power and the at 700... I'll probably go for the power. but it's a back-up because the at 900 T is the best all round singles racket there is.

3. BoyGenius

BoyGenius Regular Member

Employee
    Hi Michael, welcome to BC.

I have used AT700 old color, AT700 new color, AT900T as well as AT900 Power. Below are my two-cent for your reading pleasure :)

1) To me, AT900 Power & Tecnique are two different rackets. I am leaning toward AT900 Power (my favorite racket) as I feel it provides me with powerful stroke and quick manuver. It is a head-heavy racket, but I don't feel it sliuggish at all - and in fact feel much lighter compared to AT 700 new color.

2) I wouldn't string my racket with NBG 95 if I were you. For some reasons, I feel NBG 95 is a little bit dull. It does not provide sufficient repulsion to nicely catapult the shuttlecock. I usually go for either NBG 98 or BG 68Ti

3) Yes. the old color of AT700 is much better. It is more "balance" than the new one. The new AT700 is too stiff and too head-heavy which makes it very sluggish and difficult to adjust.

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Hi there, I assume you have used the original old coloured AT700 before the new colour version came out in 2007? IMHO the AT900P is similar to it but with a slightly shorter shaft but longer handle which to me makes it slightly stiffer and less head heavy (with more wood and thus weight emphasised on the handle). However the frame of the AT900P has the Nanoscale Elastic Ti (or Gummetal for the JP version) placed near the throat making it feel as if it will hold the shuttle in the frame for a split second before it rebounds it back for you to get those heavy smashes and powerful but controllable clears. The AT900T on the other hand has the Elastic Ti on the 10 and 2 o'clock positions on the frame and to me thus have a better 'direct repulsion', which is what you may like the most about the racquet.

IMHO I think AT900P strung with NBG95 at 24lbs will feel very different from your AT900T, considering the details I listed above. Imn't sure if you're talking about the old colour AT700 (which should have been discontinued circa 2007) vs the newer colour (introduced 2007 till now).

By the way I'm more of a singles player but have tried and like the AT900P for doubles play. I tend to like the old colour AT700 more for singles play. I hope I've answered your questions properly.

5. strobofred

strobofred Regular Member

So, what you say here, is that the responsiveness of the at 900 power is a lot worse than the 900 technique? because I very much like it that the technique is very responsive and does what I want .

But if the 900 power responds slower, you cna fix that by increasing the tension right?

6. Blitzzards

I wouldn't say the AT900P is slower, just that it doesn't repel the shuttle as fast, such that if you think it this way: the split second when you still have the shuttle being held in the frame, you can actually still put in some more arm/wrist strength into the shot which will be transferred into the shuttle as it is being repelled out of the frame and you have much more raw power in the shot as you would the AT900T. Or at least that is how I felt when I tried the AT900P for a while.

On a side note the AT700 (old colour) is similar in terms of the power albeit it utilises the hold and repulsion of the Ultimum Ti in the shaft rather than that in the frame.

Regarding the string tension, I think you may be able to get some repulsive effect by stringing it tighter (considering that your technique is up to scratch, personally I use 24x26lbs, BG65 and find the repulsion just fine) but IMHO it may not have as much effect as the properties of the materials in the frame as shaft which make up much more of the overall racquet mass.

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    If you like the technique, why not just get another one that's exactly the same?

8. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

i agree with blitzzards

my 2 most used types are 700old and 900p. i dont think 900 is slower to swing but 700 works well delivering a flick power. both been able generating good smash for me. in my opinion, 700 is a very good well balanced racket while 900 would give u a big bang but i rather play a safe drop when playing with it in front. the other question is, can u still get old 700? coz i would only compare 900p with old 700. the new 700 felt a little sluggish and doesnt deliver as much power as the 900p.

on the side note, a front flick from 900p should be good enough unless ur playing at international player's level where point something percent increasement would give u big advantages.

u can always do a little customized version of ur racket. i got 4 old 700 which i kept standard due to their rarity these days. got another 4 900p which 2 of them been customized (bored inner wooden grip, taping to the cone to play faster drive, extra weight on the top, etc2 as such), so i can choose which to use depending what kind of player im against with, how fit i am that day, my partner's playing type, what kind of game we gonna play etc2.

9. Blitzzards

I like the head heaviness of the old AT700 =)

By the way is the AT900P really noticeably head heavier than the old AT700? I have not tried measuring the BP of the AT900P when I tried it off someone during club session.

PS I'm planning to buy more old AT700s from BBEShop =D

10. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

AT900P is slightly head lighter than AT700. It's kind of a in between from AT900T to AT700 in a way. If you play all doubles then I'd say AT900T. If all singles then AT700. If you play alot of both, constantly switching back and forth then AT900P would be great and you wouldn't need to switch two different rackets every time u play a different type of game.

11. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    Hi sry, one question to ask:
    Is new AT700 stiffer than old AT700? and oso head heavier than old AT700?
    I personal feel new AT700 is sluggish. :(:(

12. ice man

ice man Regular Member

I haven't tried the old AT 700, but I own a new one, and man it's difficult to play with, even if I'm muscular, I've got troubles to adjust to this racquet whereas usually I don't have any problem by switching racquets. I can't get lotta power out of it, maybe I haven't got the proper technique, or that is the racquet that is sluggish...

13. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Hmmm, I dont' know which one is AT 700 old and which one is At 700 new. Well I got mine back like half a year so is that new?
    If it is, I dont' feel any sluggish or anything that slow me down at all. I felt great with that racquet when i played. When I first bought, I didn't ask for high tension, because I usually try a racquet at a low tension first.
    the first tension was 25, it wasn't that great, but it does give me some what power. However, after I put it up to 28 - 31, Wow it was amazing, my smashes power increased dramaticly. I had a great feel with that racquet until i broke it.
    Btw, it was 4u G4.
    Now at900t's power is no where near the at700. I'm planning to get 900p after this 900T break. Or at least borrow from people to see the feel, and then will choose to see if i should get 700 or 900p.

14. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
  15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

That was the old one u had as the new one doesn't come in 4u varient
    IMO the old at700 is betterthan the new one

16. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

at900p is alot closer to at900t than at700

at700 is alottt head heavier than both rackets