Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    The good thing about him is he trying to finish up the fight ...

2. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

It's a forum. Sometimes, more often than not, we like to involve our individual preferences. Healthy exchanges are good. Otherwise it will be boring.

However, I also try to emphasize that Arc Z is the spotlight here! Like, YY NS9900 is my best preference even though I got all the other rackets!

DASH FOR CASH and slash the flash! Arc Z!

3. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Kamen Rider W will be launch next year , so when will Arcsaber Z will be released?Forgot lo ...

4. MetalOrange

bet there's more coming out in the fall.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Here is the YONEX ARCSABER "Z" SLASH REVIEW

YONEX ARCSABER “Z” Slash Review

Review Date : August – September 2009
    Launch Date : September 19 2009
    Racket Type : Yonex ARCSABER Z Slash
    Specs : 3UG4
    Strings: Yonex BG66 Maxima ( Supplied )
    Tension: 30lbs , 1 Piece Stringing
    Stringing Machine : Yonex ESPRO
    Technology : UHMG ( Ultra High Modulus Graphite ), Ultra PEF,
    CS Carbon Nanotube, Super HMG, Light Feel Carbon.
    Grip: Original Grip
    Shuttle Used: Yonex Official

First Impression:

Arcsaber “Z” Slash is probably an Incarnation of some sort from the ARCSABER Series. This Piece of Eye Catching Racket does make me curious. It is an evolution from the previous Arcsaber Models. “Evil Empire” is trying to distinguish this Arcsaber “Z” Slash with the other conventional ARCSABERs that they have made.
    The racket does feel relatively light, solid and most of all its comfortable to handle it maybe because of ergonomics the grip. The Flex is Stiff. And feel a little headlight. The aerodynamics of this racket is finely tuned around the frame. Probably it can cut thru air as to provide faster racket head thus generate more power in smashes. I have been using the ARCSABER 10. In someway I know it is a good racket but somehow I feel that it still lacks of certain ingredients.

Many of us are annoyed with the “tease” as well as looking forward to the next big thing. It may be a good marketing strategy for selling badminton Rackets to those who don’t know about rackets and others may look for an answer of the IT racket in their game. So has Yonex found a way in providing the X Factor in this racket dubbed the “Z Slash”? Will I find an answer here of an ideal ARCSABER? Can we hit a backhand like Taufik? Or will it be just another HooHaa? Well I will just have to find it out myself for the meantime.

Stringing Impression:

It is always easy for a racket to be strung by the latest YOnex ESPROTech Machine. I have an opportunity to have this racket strung twice as the string broke on the 1st time. Racket head does not move much when the string is pulled. And I don’t have to worry that the frame would sink in the metal, well mainly because the grommets are still new. All I can say is that it is very SOLID and make an amateur feel at ease when doing the stringing job.

Warm Ups:

Initial contact was surprisingly easy which surprises me. I immediate feel at ease using the racket for the first minute. Contact with the shuttle during baseline-to-baseline was weird. I was hardly using any power and I felt the shuttle flew faster to the other side. Weight of the racket is evenly balanced when Backhand and underhand serving shots was executed with good amount of control and accuracy. Drives was excellent and I hardly feel any vibration when I do my normal out of sweet spot shots. And when frame shots were done, vibration was not as bad as I expected. Racket cuts thru the air without much Drag.
    I like the repulsion when the smash was done. I had “Bangs” on every smash I made. I feel comfortable and confident using the “Z” when its time to have a serious play. I was telling myself that I’m going to enjoy using the “Z”. I hope it will not disappoint me during actual game play. All I can blame is myself if the results are against me.

Game Time:

It takes some adjustment when doing net plays. Accuracy in the net lacks a little when I do my usual net shots. I would probably have to give it a little push when retrieving shuttles on the net as well as cross net shots. Overall “Z” doesn’t disappoint me in front. Just need to get use to for a while.

The “Z” makes flat drives enjoyable. However at some point it does tire me a little compare to the NS9900 that I’ve used. But the racket performs with great stability during fast flat drives. Grip switch was easy and does not burden my fingers and wrist. That is what I like best.

And when comes to close rapid fire and retrieving smashes, I manage to get some solid stable respond when comes to defending smashes and it was done with consistency and great feel on the placement of shots. Sure make counter attack more fun. One thing I like is that this racket executes smashes with depth and accuracy. It can be the player but the feel is there when the accurate shot was made. I find better access in slice drop with accuracy from the baseline. I enjoyed the power generated by the racket and when the swing weight kicks in, the smash now had the added “bomb” or “punch” to the already powerful smash. Add to that, the “sound” want to make you smash more. The feel during smashing is just superb. Faster swing speed and extra “pump” on the smash sure make this racket a top of it’s class when comes to RAW SMASH POWER.

Conclusion:

I should point out, though, that as an enthusiast, I am being a tough critic on paint job, it could be better in some aspect. But I guess I’m being too hard on this issue as some may say if you can’t play might as well look good in losing.

However I find this piece is carbon well suited for advance level of play and well as a great racket for those who wants an extra edge when comes to Speed and Power. The intermediate and beginners are able to find the sweet spot consistently to execute the potential of this racket in their own terms. The “Z” provides great control, excellent stability and impressive power. It will probably be a hit when time comes for those who wants to get a piece of probably the last line of “ARCSABERs” here. ARCSABER 10 has been a standard for the ARCSABER Series, not only the “Z” improvement blows my mind, it surpasses what the ARC series is all about.

“Z” would be a lethal weapon for those who want more power play in their game. For those who can meet the play criteria of this racket will definitely enjoy its power precision as well as comfort and stability of this racket.
    Well in the end of the few sessions I didn’t manage to execute a backhand ala Taufik but half of it already made me a happy person. I would say every ounce of this racket is definitely worth it. Yonex has again come out with a racket that provides the speed, power, control and feel that would please most serious players.

Now, I guess Yonex would probably need to up their ante in their next release and I can’t wait what is going to come up next.

I would rate this racket in terms of Feel, Control, Power and Defense. However it is based on my own test and review. It may vary depending on the player, tension and what string you use.

Feel: 9.5/10
    Control: 9.5/10
    Power: 10/10
    Defense: 9/10
    Maneuverability: 8.5/10

Pros : All around racket, Great Power and Repulsion, Good Feel.
    Cons: Price

Suitability : Advance/Intermediate. Singles/Doubles racket

Ants

p/s : Initial test was done with BG66 until it snapped. However i edited the whole review when i'm using the new YONEX BG66 MAXIMA string. Have to wait for the string to arrive as well as i was away for business. Therefore it caused the delay of the review. Any delays and inconvenience is much regretted. Meanwhile Enjoy the Review - Ants

#285 ants, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. MetalOrange

Thanks so much Ants. You got the power! More power to you! Muchas gracias!

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    thanks ants~

medium balance... head light feel... awwwwww!!!

8. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Yay thank you Ants!!! I'd buy you a beer or something, but Malaysia is so far from California.

9. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Thanks Ants.... Head-light, hmmm.... Interesting, thought it'd for sure be head heavy this time around... well, since i already pre-ordered might as well try it out when it arrives :cool:

10. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

yay thank you ants! I just have a couple question regarding the z in comparison with 10:

You said net play isn't bad with the arcZ just takes getting used to, how does netplay and feel up front compare with the arc 10?
    Also, how head light is it? Is it as head light as the arc10 was head heavy?

Wow, 10/10 for power...

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Thanks for the review Ants.

I am quite puzzled however that you choose BG66 Maxima for testing?

I also cannot really get to grips with, why would you have to edit the review of "the racket" by switching to different "strings"!?!

Wouldn't using the same strings as your earlier test (Nanogy 98) lead to a better comparison in power etc. between this racket and the others?!

/Twobeer

12. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I guess you're right. If by chance the repulsion rating of BG66M which is higher than the original BG66 (a 10 vs 9, not to mention other aspects such as better control and shock absorption) really does affect the overall feel of the racquet, then will some of the ratings such as "Power" decrease slightly?

Still, a rating of 10 for power is really eye catching. Could it be the oomph which ants wished for in the Arcsaber 10 finally been met in this new design?

By the way ants, will you say that the racquet has more "Hold" or "Repulsion"? :)

Does it feel better for singles play control and offense or doubles speed and heavy attack?

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The new BG66 Maxima..

[​IMG]

(10 in repulsion & 10 in sound)...

It is 0.65mm !! very thin/repulsive and will be released 19/9 I think..

#293 twobeer, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The new BG66 Maxima..

[​IMG]

(10 in repulsion & 10 in sound)...

It is 0.65mm !! very thin/repulsive and will be released 19/9 I think..

MOD, please delete this.. I dont know why it got double posted :)

/T

15. mokmatthew

mokmatthew Regular Member

Thanks!! ANTS!! Excellent work!!!:):)

16. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Nice Job ants :D. That's an excellent review :D. Well... Arc10 has similar review... When it comes out... So if my hands pain using Arc10... It'll definitely pain more with that ~_~...

17. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Thank you for the review Ants,
    by the way just a small suggestion when testing racket I think will be better to use 1 standard string. (bg65 comes to my mind since IMHO its normally used for benchmark). String affect the feel, repulsion, etc quite greatly so its kinda defeat the testing purpose if review used different strings

18. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Hmmm... that's a good point you made with the string... I wonder how the Arc10 would be if strung using this same string... Is it the racket that provides the 10 for power or is it the string that gave it the extra little bit....

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Twobeer: I did some review based on BG66. However it was not my Final review on it. And BG66 broke in the 1st session. It didnt even last an hr. The "edited part" was the warm-up session. Not the whole review. I didnt put that in the note. Since BG65 MAxima was given. I have to use it.

I do agree that strings might have produced slight difference result in the review. However most of my reviews are done using different kind of strings and the results i would say satisfying. I know what i'm doing and the review is based on how the racket perform not the string. I'm not deviating the performance of the racket because of the string. If you guys know what i mean. Hope that answer your question Twobeer. :)

Nuetronist: On net play "Z" performs better overall compare to the ARC10. Had a more sensitive touch. Just need to have slightly more push. Its is just me that not used to the touch yet.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Don't worry about the word head light. It definitely performs like a head heavy power racket or a headlight power punch. :)

So no more questions please guys. :) I've done my part.. have to get back to work now. :)