Grand Slams 2009

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by silentheart, May 27, 2009.

1. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

quite interestingly, the surname of the kissing bandit is AORTA.

btw, paradorn i think has a protected world ranking of 80+ something (that's according to him), so it is not so bad for him to start anytime so long it is not uber extended long (my guess is 2 years. then, his protected ranking is canceled.).

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Nadal said it's not a problem for him probably kissing is too normal in Spain. But really based on culture, if a guy kissed Lin Dan in Asia, the guy will probably considered as a homosexual. :)

#122 Qidong, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

del Potro is through to the SF. I like his style; very stand and deliver, macho if you like. If Nadal wins against Gonzalez (leads 7-6, 2-2 at the moment), he's in for a big battle

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Oudin is out.......... :D

#124 drifit, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

and that guy gets it for kissing nadal:p

http://news.my.msn.com/oddities/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3576297

Nadal kissing bandit could get jail time

[​IMG]

The New Yorker who ran onto the court and kissed Rafael Nadal after his fourth-round victory at the US Open faces jail time on tresspassing charges, prosecutors said Wednesday.
    Noam U. Aorta dashed onto the court past security guards just after six-time Grand Slam champion Nadal, trying to complete a career Slam on the Flushing Meadows hardcourts, defeated French 13th seed Gael Monfils early Wednesday.
    The intruder raced up to Nadal as he was changing his shirt and kissed the Spanish tennis star before guards apprehended him and took him away.
    "For me, it wasn't a problem. The guy was really nice," Nadal said. "He said, 'I love you,' and he kissed me."
    Aorta, 23, who lives near Arthur Ashe Stadium, faces charges of interference with a sports event and criminal trespass, which could bring a combined maximum of one year in jail and fines of 5,000 dollars.

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Too bad the Clijsters/Serena match ended it that way even though I think Kim would have probably won even without the foot fault call. Surprisingly that it was Kim Clijsters who played at the high level the whole match and it was Serena who made unforced error at critical points. It will be even more exciting if Justin Henin really decide to come back and will form the 4 heavenly queens with the Williams sisters.

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Serena Williams disqualified at U.S. Open women's semifinal

NEW YORK -- Defending U.S. Open champion Serena Williams smashed her racket after losing the first set, hurled an expletive-laced tirade at a line judge for calling a foot fault on match point, was docked that point for a second code violation, and, as a result, lost Saturday's semifinal to Kim Clijsters 6-4, 7-5.

She walked across the net to Clijsters, who looked as bewildered as the Arthur Ashe Stadium audience, shook her hand and walked off the court. The crowd booed loudly as Williams waved.

Serving down 5-6 in the second set and trailing 15-30, Williams faulted on her first serve. A line judge called a foot fault on her second serve, making it a double fault and giving Clijsters match point. Furious with the call, Williams angrily went over and thrusted a tennis ball toward the line judge, screaming at her.

According to reporters, fan witnesses sitting in the front few rows and CBS replays, Williams said: ``You better be [expletive] right! You don't [expletive] know me! You're lucky I'm not shoving this ball down your throat!''

Chair umpire Louise Engzell of Sweden summoned the line judge over, the line judge told her what Williams had said and the umpire awarded the point to Clijsters, ending the match. Williams had gotten the first violation for slamming her racket after losing the first set.

`ARE YOU SERIOUS?'
    When Williams, the line judge and the chair umpire huddled with head referee Brian Earley to figure out what was happening, Williams said: ``I didn't say I'd kill you! Are you serious?''

Asked at her news conference what she said to the line judge and whether she said anything threatening, Williams said: ``No, I didn't threaten. I didn't say -- I don't remember anymore, to be honest. I was in the moment. And, you know, everyone's fighting for every point. It was a really crucial point. . . . She says she felt threatened? I've never been in a fight in my whole life, so I don't know why she would have felt threatened.''

Clijsters, the Belgian former No. 1 who is back after a two-year maternity leave, looked upset that the match ended that way. She had outplayed Williams most of the match and was hoping to win the match in a different way.

``I was just trying to be focused on match point and I looked over and saw Serena talking to the line judge, but I was too far away so I couldn't hear what was said,'' Clijsters said. ``I was just focusing on one point at a time. I came out of the blocks really well, was hitting balls to the corners and keeping Serena on her heels.''

Clijsters will play Caroline Wozniacki in Sunday night's final. The 19-year-old Dane beat 19-year-old Belgian Yanina Wickmayer 6-3, 6-3 in the evening's other rain-delayed semifinal. The match was scheduled to begin at 3 p.m., but didn't start until 9:30 because of rain during the afternoon.

Asked if she was devastated to lose such an important match that way, Williams said: ``I'm clearly not happy. I mean, obviously, I wanted to fight. I always fight when I'm down and keep going. I planned on hitting a couple of aces, but I guess it didn'twork out.''

Williams said Clijsters apologized to her after the match.

``She told me she was sorry, but I told her it wasn't her fault, that it was a point penalty,'' Williams said. ``I haven't really thought about it to have any regrets . . . I'm not one to say, `I wish.' I'm a really intense player. My idol was John McEnroe, I am a really intense person and I give 200 pecent whether I'm playing tennis or doing something else. I just go for it.

``I used to have a temper . . . I used to be much worse, yes. Yes indeed.''

`A BEAUTIFUL STORY'
    Williams had a 7-1 edge over Clijsters going into the match. They had not played since 2003.

``I think it's a beautiful story,'' Roger Federer said of Clijsters' return. ``She's played very well. Right off the bat, in Cincinnati when she came back, it gave you an idea she'd be one of the favorites for the U.S. Open, which is quite an amazing achievement.

``It's like riding a bike. Once you know how to ride a bike, you never forget that. That's why I'm not surprised. But it's really nice she hasn't lost the love for the game. Going out at 23 years old, that was just shocking. But being a woman, obviously you don't maybe want to wait until you're 35 to have kids. It's nice to see her back in the game.''

Clijsters is attempting to become the first mother to win a major since Evonne Goolagong Cawley won the 1980 Wimbledon title.

``I think it sends an incredible message for working moms that you can have a career and be successful in your profession,'' said Stacey Allaster, CEO of the WTA Tour. ``Kim will be a good role model for young women.''

8. MetalOrange

She lost it!

Are we sure she cant climb back from that hole? We don't know for sure. But by the looks of it, it would seem she is melting down pretty fast prior to the foot fault being called.

9. MetalOrange

Juan del Potro won over Nadal in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2! What a crushing defeat. Well, he's got an abdominal injury that has be bugging him...but, the point is, he lost.

My observation though is that Djokovic, Murray and Nadal are not very good at fending off taller players in the 6'5" and taller range.

Only Lleyton Hewitt (although he is not at his peak now) is consistent enough in cutting to size all these giants (he did however, lost in the 1 st round to 6'11'' Ivo Karlovic in the first round while the defending Wimbledon Champion). The thing is, he have to deal with Roger Federer in the 3rd round at the USO this year...otherwise if he had been in the opposite bracket, I'm quite sure he can make a giant killing!

Roger Federer is also consistent enough to go out giant killing!

P.S. Lleyton probably benefitted from playing a lot with Joachim Johansson at 6'6" (his sister's girlfriend at the time) prior to Joachim 'Pim Pim's" retirement due to career ending injury.

10. staples

staples Regular Member

All good things must come to an end. Let's see how well she does in other tournaments. :)

11. staples

staples Regular Member

What a pity in how the match ended. Kim would have won no matter what. Serena showed the world what her true colours are.

It would nice for Serena to at least apologize for her disgusting act on court. But of course it's never her fault right?! If she loses a match it's not because her opponent played better. All excuses. So what if Serena's idol was John Mac? :) She acts as if she's supposed to win all her matches.

Serena owes the fans a big apology.

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    you are on the verge of losing the match.
    loose it with pride. you played hard, is just not your day.
    dont finger pointing and loose the temper.

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    just watch few higlights of R.Federer vs N.Djokovic
    so funny......:D stroke of the year!! :D
    tonite must go home watch the repeat telecast. :p

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

DEL POTRO!!!!!!!!!!

Told ya Nadal would have a hard time against him, just not THIS hard.

If he wins the US Open, the nation will forget their sad football team :D:D

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Watching WS final now.

One of the weakest WS finals I've seen in recent years. Very similar players and neither with the power or guile to put the other away.

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    Serena Williams may face ban in future Grand Slams. :(

further readings.

NEW YORK – Serena Williams faces an anxious wait to see if she is to be banned from future Grand Slam tournaments following her controversial outburst at the U.S. Open.
    Williams was levied with a $10,000 fine by the U.S. Open for unsportsmanlike conduct on Sunday for her foul-mouthed tirade at a line judge the night before, as she slumped to a semifinals defeat to Kim Clijsters. The fine was the maximum possible at this stage.
    An additional $500 fine for racket abuse was also imposed by tournament referee Brian Earley, but those on-site punishments could be just the tip of the iceberg for the world No. 2.

17. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

:eek: the punishment is much more heavier than the punishment for badminton. :D I don't hope she will be banned, even though I don't like her attitude on court, but I enjoy watching her play. :D If she is to be banned, I am pity for her Venus, no partner for women doubles. :D

18. george@chongwei

yess!!:)
    kim clijsters won!:)
    super mom;) wozniackiy is quite pretty too:cool:

[​IMG]

19. george@chongwei

20. george@chongwei

#140 george@chongwei, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009