Need advice to pick up a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by acctasst, Sep 21, 2009.

1. acctasst

acctasst New Member

Tax Accountant
    [FONT='Bookman Old Style','serif']Hello,[/FONT]
    [FONT='Bookman Old Style','serif']I picked up badminton a year ago, and I love it. I am looking for your advice in picking up a new racket to compliment my Yonex Ti-10. The Ti-10 has a 3U 4G, and strung with a 22-lb BG68-Ti. I am heading to Hong Kong in a few weeks time, and I will definitely save about Can. $100.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Bookman Old Style','serif']5 years ago, my right arm/shoulder was totally immobilized from a skiing accident. I finally regain certain movement after 3 years of intensive rehabilitation. I understand my shoulder will never be the same again, so I manage mostly with ibuprofen. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Bookman Old Style','serif']Because of my injury, I can’t exert too much power in smashing or driving. I rely on my quickness in keeping the game close. I am looking for a racket similar to my Ti-10 but with more repulsion. Your advice in choosing a racket/string/tension combination will be much appreciated. [/FONT]

2. acctasst

acctasst New Member

Tax Accountant
    Re-post

Sorry for the extra editing stuff, here is the post again.:confused:

Hello,

I picked up badminton a year ago, and I love it. I am looking for your advice in picking up a new racket to compliment my Yonex Ti-10. The Ti-10 has a 3U 4G, and strung with a 22-lb BG68-Ti. I am heading to Hong Kong in a few weeks time, and I will definitely save about Can. $100.

5 years ago, my right arm/shoulder was totally immobilized from a skiing accident. I finally regain certain movement after 3 years of intensive rehabilitation. I understand my shoulder will never be the same again, so I manage mostly with ibuprofen.

Because of my injury, I can’t exert too much power in smashing or driving. I rely on my quickness in keeping the game close. I am looking for a racket similar to my Ti-10 but with more repulsion. Your advice in choosing a racket/string/tension combination will be much appreciated.

3. District9//

District9// Regular Member

Alien Relation Officer
    To be in the safe side, I'll advise to stick on your present Ti-10 but change the string either to the new Maxima 66 or BG80. Don't know what kind of FEEL is BG68Ti. Surely, the practical solution to your Desire lies on the string kind and its tension.
    But going to HongKong is a big thing not to waste. It would be great if you can pick up a new racket. The Yonex Ti-10 has three (3) generation models. Buy either the one model with flexible shaft or both aside your present model plus a big number of different kind of strings. That would solve your wonder satisfactory.;)

4. acctasst

acctasst New Member

Tax Accountant
    My impression on Arcsaber 7, NS9000S & NS9900.

Thank you District9// for your advice. I was thinking about re-stringing my Ti-10, except that going to Hong Kong is a great opportunity to pick up another high end racket without paying the stiff retail price and high taxes we are facing in Canada.

I actually had a chance to play with a YY Arcsaber 7, NS9900 and a NS9000S this weekend. I do not know the specs; my friends let me use their rackets to try them out. Here are my impressions, but please note that my shoulder is only 70% normal and I am a beginer/immediate player:

- YY Arcsaber 7: is light but a well balanced racket. However, I couldn't feel the power, nor replusion, nor control. It is an average racket.

- YY NS9900: It is a very stiff racket, more so than my Ti-10. It seems that the shaft is a bit shorter than my Ti-10. I felt the power except my shoulder hurt like crazy. I also mishit a lot, probably due to unfamiliarity with the racket.

- YY NS9000 S: I felt comfortable with this racket in terms of flexibility. A racket with good replusion but not as quick as my Ti-10. I also notice that the paint is chip off quite a bit. This is definitely not a durable racket.

I hope to receive more thoughts on the selection of a new racket from the forum. Thanks.

5. Pulish

Pulish Regular Member

Theocrat
    That 70% shoulder condition is a problem. I myself hate to go on an endeavor when under the weather.

Why try out other racket brands like RSL, Victor, Apacs, etc. I could vouch for RSL in durability of the racket and from paint chips. My RSL Attack 3200 which is a classic had survived numerous clashes and its graphite woven paint doesn't chip off easily. It's light, flexible and even balance shaft doesn't give the most powerful smash but compensate on it's great control and fast response. It is way cheaper than most of your Yonex rackets you own and tried.

I read in this forum that there is an RSL presence there in Canada. It is worth to try some of their rackets before going to Hongkong.

6. acctasst

acctasst New Member

Tax Accountant
    Thanks Pulish, I don't know anything about RSL but will definietly look into it. We all "fed" by the big marketing from YY, and there is no room for other good manufacturers. All of my friends are using YY rackets. I will research into it and find out if iIcan get one in Canada.

7. Erique

Erique Regular Member

If you want racket with more repulsion that means you need a more flexible shaft than Ti-10. You can try Victor BS08 or 09, but if you need a racket that has the shaft stiffness like Ti-10 gen 3 you can consider Victor SW 35 or BS 10.